Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 24 Feb '13 20:19
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/24/robert-gibbs-drones-white-house_n_2753183.html?1361718515

Robert Gibbs, former spokesperson for the Obama administration, has just publically said that the Obama administration told him to lie about the drone program and pretend that it did not exist.

The rats are fleeing the ship, but why? Is there bad blood there or is something else going on? Anyone with have a brain knows that the spokesperson for any administration is merely a propogandizing windbag and lies every other word, but to publically admit it?
  2. 24 Feb '13 20:27 / 1 edit
    I think maybe it's time for another transparency award to be given to the President on the premise that he told Gibbs it was no OK to tell the American people the truth. LOL.

Of course, now that he can't run in 2016, what the hell. I'm sure Hillary, the next appointed President, will not suffer whatsoever from the fall out.
  3. 24 Feb '13 20:31
    I might be mistaken, but a government spokesperson not revealing military secrets seems like standard procedure to me.
  4. 24 Feb '13 20:32 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I might be mistaken, but a government spokesperson not revealing military secrets seems like standard procedure to me.
    Flying over their own citizens?

Who did not know that they were being used in Iraq? I thought it public information.
  5. 24 Feb '13 20:36
    If you have a point to make, by all means make it.
  6. 24 Feb '13 20:43 / 4 edits
    If you have a point to make, by all means make it.
    If you don't see the point then you have no critical thinking skills and further dialogue would be useless. However, if you do see it you are intentionally lying about not seeing it, further dialogue would still be useless.

Even when the left calls out their own they still defend their messiah.

President Obama, the Uniter.

Bringing together a coalition of the badly misinformed, the dangerously naive, the fundamentally stupid, and the downright corrupt.
  7. 24 Feb '13 21:02
    Originally posted by whodey
    If you don't see the point then you have no critical thinking skills and further dialogue would be useless. However, if you do see it you are intentionally lying about not seeing it, further dialogue would still be useless.

Even when the left calls out their own they still defend their messiah.

President Obama, the Uniter.

Bringing together a coalit ...[text shortened]... badly misinformed, the dangerously naive, the fundamentally stupid, and the downright corrupt.
    Is that what you want to discuss? "The Left" calls out their own, yet they (who?) defend their "messiah"? Robert Gibbs was paid to handle PR for the Obama administration, why would anyone assume he was speaking the truth or telling all he knows in his capacity as a spokesperson?
  8. 24 Feb '13 21:14 / 1 edit
    Is that what you want to discuss? "The Left" calls out their own, yet they (who?) defend their "messiah"? Robert Gibbs was paid to handle PR for the Obama administration, why would anyone assume he was speaking the truth or telling all he knows in his capacity as a spokesperson?
    Apparently it is OK for a sitting president to purposefully lie to the American people.

Whatever.

From now on, why not just assume that every word that comes out of his mouth is a lie?
  9. 24 Feb '13 21:17
    Apparently it is OK for a sitting president to purposefully lie to the American people.

Whatever.

From now on, why not just assume that every word that comes out of his mouth is a lie?
    Until now, you have assumed that politicians and their spokespersons always tell the truth and never conceal anything?
  10. 24 Feb '13 22:25 / 2 edits
    Until now, you have assumed that politicians and their spokespersons always tell the truth and never conceal anything?
    What makes this interesting is that a left leaning news source reported it and one of Obama's own is ratting him out.

Why?

I can't really believe that Gibbs has an ounce of moral integrity left, so my guess is he has a book coming. After all, no dirt ever sticks on Obama in this uber liberal society so what harm will this do to Obama? Like people like you, no one gives a damn. Obama has a licence to kill, steal, and lie.
  11. 24 Feb '13 22:38
    Former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Sunday that he was told not to "acknowledge" or "discuss" the secret drone program when becoming the government's top spokesman.

That is in no way, shape for form calling President Obama a liar. If you watch the interview he doesn't so much as imply Obama is a liar, just that he was told not to discuss or acknowledge the program. You do realize that drone operations are classified, right?
  12. 24 Feb '13 22:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    [b]Former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Sunday that he was told not to "acknowledge" or "discuss" the secret drone program when becoming the government's top spokesman.

That is in no way, shape for form calling President Obama a liar. If you watch the interview he doesn't so much as imply Obama is a liar, just that he ...[text shortened]... ss or acknowledge the program. You do realize that drone operations are classified, right?[/b]
    Yes, Obama does a good job keeping the nations secrets, doesn't he?

LOL.

So now we have Gibbs coming out giving up classified information? Is that what you are saying? If so, what should be done to him?
  13. 24 Feb '13 22:47
    Yes, Obama does a good job keeping the nations secrets, doesn't he?

LOL.

So now we have Gibbs coming out giving up classified information? Is that what you are saying? If so, what should be done to him?
    What specifics did he give about the program? Being told not to discuss the program is NOT the same as being told to say the program doesn't exist. When asked he simply deflected questions about it or flat out refused to answer.

Refusing to discuss isn't remotely the same as lying, no matter how badly your right-wing partisan self wants it to be.
  14. 24 Feb '13 22:53 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    What specifics did he give about the program? Being told not to discuss the program is NOT the same as being told to say the program doesn't exist. When asked he simply deflected questions about it or flat out refused to answer.

Refusing to discuss isn't remotely the same as lying, no matter how badly your right-wing partisan self wants it to be.
    So let me get this straight. Gibbs was told by Obama not to even discuss the existence of the program but is now coming out to discuss it?

What am I missing here? Why is he undermining the president of the United States?

Also, if it is a secret why does everyone and his brother know about it?
  15. 24 Feb '13 23:01
    So let me get this straight. Gibbs was told by Obama not to even discuss the existence of the program but is now coming out to discuss it?

What am I missing here? Why is he undermining the president of the United States?

Also, if it is a secret why does everyone and his brother know about it?
    He's not the Press Secretary anymore. Everyone knows the program exists, so acknowledging it exists and nothing more is in no way undermining the President.

It's very different for someone who is still a Whitehouse spokesman. Any discussion at all about the program on any level invites more inquiry, even "yes we have a program" just invites more inquiry.

If he starts discussing specific classified information, then we have a problem. It's a far cry from a Scott McClellan (former Bush Press Secretary) style betrayal.