1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 15:231 edit
    Complained about security at the games in London, then followed that by stating the capital of Israel as Jerusalem, when all knew the capital of Israel is Tel Aviv.
    Then says all options are on the table Vis a Vis Iran, bombing them is on the table.
    This is the man a lot of people want as our president?

Can't wait to see the next foot in mouth disease in Poland.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 15:34
    Looks like Romney might be connected to the Triads (Chinese Mafia)

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/07/16/525131/adelson-romney-chinese-mob/?mobile=nc
  3. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 15:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Complained about security at the games in London, then followed that by stating the capital of Israel as Jerusalem, when all knew the capital of Israel is Tel Aviv.
    Then says all options are on the table Vis a Vis Iran, bombing them is on the table.

Lets keep it real son.

Romney's declaration that Jerusalem is Israel's capital was matter-of-fact and in keeping with claims made by Israeli governments for decades, even though the United States, like other nations, maintains its embassy in Tel Aviv.

"Make no mistake, the ayatollahs in Iran are testing our moral defenses. They want to know who will object and who will look the other way," he said. "We will not look away nor will our country ever look away from our passion and commitment to Israel."

"My understanding is the policy of our nation has been a desire to move our embassy ultimately to the capital (Jerusalem)," he said, adding, "I would only want to do so and to select the timing in accordance with the government of Israel." -Romney

His remarks on the subject during his speech drew a standing ovation from his audience, which included Sheldon Adelson, the American businessman who has said he will donate millions to help elect Romney to the White House.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 16:101 edit
    If this is off-topic I'll start another thread, but did anyone read this article by a leader of the Israeli settlers in the West Bank that was in the New York Times last week? http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/26/opinion/israels-settlers-are-here-to-stay.html?_r=1

He ridicules the idea of an independent Palestinian state between Jordan and Israel, says the presence of Israeli settlers in all of the West Bank is an "irreversible fact" and insists that Israel has every right to permanently own "Judea and Samaria". Absent from his analysis is what is to be done with the Palestinians who live there; can Israel both insist that the West Bank is legitimately part of its territory AND refuse to give its non-Jewish inhabitants full political rights as citizens of Israel as he seems to want to do? Isn't the logical end point of these assertions that the Palestinians must be forcibly expelled from "Judea and Samaria"?
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 16:172 edits

Israel has treated Jerusalem as its own capital for decades. Your matter-of-fact claim that "all knew the capital of Israel is Tel Aviv" is bizarre.

Obama said the same thing during the SOTU address.

This entire OP gets one big

🙄
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 16:19
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If this is off-topic I'll start another thread, but did anyone read this article by a leader of the Israeli settlers in the West Bank that was in the New York Times last week? http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/26/opinion/israels-settlers-are-here-to-stay.html?_r=1

He ridicules the idea of an independent Palestinian state between Jordan and I ...[text shortened]... ese assertions that the Palestinians must be forcibly expelled from "Judea and Samaria"?
    No, it cannot legitimately do that.

The settlers movement is a thorn in the side of the peace movement.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 16:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    No, it cannot legitimately do that.

The settlers movement is a thorn in the side of the peace movement.
    Isn't it de facto endorsed by the present Israeli government? As he points out, 350,000 settlers now live in the West Bank (not even counting the 200,000 in Jerusalem) almost half of them outside even the "settlement blocs" which can supposedly be "easily" swapped for other land in a final status agreement. This has been allowed and even encouraged by various Israeli governments, including this one.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 16:353 edits
    Isn't it de facto endorsed by the present Israeli government? As he points out, 350,000 settlers now live in the West Bank (not even counting the 200,000 in Jerusalem) almost half of them outside even the "settlement blocs" which can supposedly be "easily" swapped for other land in a final status agreement. This has been allowed and even encouraged by various Israeli governments, including this one.
    Netanyahu is too chummy with the settlers movements. I do not dispute that. They're a large voting bloc and they have political power, especially in the right leaning parties. I would like to see a more moderate government come in that is willing to stand up to the settlers on behalf of the majority of the rest of the country that wants peace.

Edit: A Likud PM standing up to the settlers is like a Republican standing up to the Tea Party. It's possible, but not exceptionally likely.
  9. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 Jul '12 18:17

Also his suggestion that the reason Israelis are better off than Palestinians is because Israel is favored by God. Sorry, "providence."

Also that socialized medicine is good for Israel, but not for the US.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 14:05
    Israel has treated Jerusalem as its own capital for decades. Your matter-of-fact claim that "all knew the capital of Israel is Tel Aviv" is bizarre.

Obama said the same thing during the SOTU address.

This entire OP gets one big

🙄
    Excuse me, but I lived in Israel for 4 years. I know what the capital is, it is Tel Aviv.
    Jerusalem is the capital emotionally only. Tell me why the US embassy is in Tel Aviv and not Jerusalem? The whole Romney scam was to suck up to Jewish voters in the US and the same with Poland. BTW, in Poland, he made buddy buddy with Lech Walesa but that fell flat too when the Polish unions refuted that relationship, pointing to the anti union activities of Romney when he was head of Bain. That plus his continuing to not let anyone look at his earlier tax forms and the overseas accounts make him appear to be too secretive and thus hiding his true motives.

He is NOT going to be the next president.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 14:161 edit
    Excuse me, but I lived in Israel for 4 years. I know what the capital is, it is Tel Aviv.
    Jerusalem is the capital emotionally only. Tell me why the US embassy is in Tel Aviv and not Jerusalem? The whole Romney scam was to suck up to Jewish voters in the US and the same with Poland. BTW, in Poland, he made buddy buddy with Lech Walesa but that fell flat to ...[text shortened]... be too secretive and thus hiding his true motives.

If you lived in Israel for 4 years, you must have noticed that the Parliament building is in Jerusalem, the PM lives in Jerusalem and the important government ministerial offices are all in Jerusalem.

http://www.pm.gov.il/PMOEng/Government/Offices/

Notice the phone number prefixes. 02 is Jerusalem. Tel Aviv is 03.

Israel has treated Jerusalem as its capital in every conceivable way for decades.

Yes the US keeps its embassy in Tel Aviv in spite of Israeli pressure to move it to Jerusalem. That is a political decision based on the premise that moving it to Jerusalem would be a needless slap in the face to Palestinians, who would like their future capital to be east Jerusalem (or all of Jerusalem, depending on which Palestinians you ask).

Romney has pledged to move the embassy to Jerusalem, in fact.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/romneys-pledge-to-move-the-us-embassy-to-jerusalem/2012/07/30/gJQAxVFQLX_blog.html

Romney's statement that Jerusalem if Israel's capital may be a politically controversial one, but it is certainly not a gaffe or a mistake borne of ignorance. It is a calculated political statement. Your spin on it as a "foot in mouth" moment is bizarre.

Edit: Read the article I cited above. It's an excellent discussion of this issue.
  12. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '12 13:07
    The Brits are second to none when it comes to security.

In fact, you'll be glad to know that the locks have been changed on Wembley Stadium within days of the keys being lost.

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-07-30/world/world_europe_olympics-wembley-stadium-lost-keys_1_uk-police-keys-locks
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Aug '12 17:57
    If you lived in Israel for 4 years, you must have noticed that the Parliament building is in Jerusalem, the PM lives in Jerusalem and the important government ministerial offices are all in Jerusalem.

http://www.pm.gov.il/PMOEng/Government/Offices/

Notice the phone number prefixes. 02 is Jerusalem. Tel Aviv is 03.

Israel has treated Jerusalem as its ca ...[text shortened]... zarre.

Edit: Read the article I cited above. It's an excellent discussion of this issue.
    I realize that, the knesset being in Jerusalem, watched fireworks displays there several times, which was interesting because the flaming pieces came down on the crowd and nearby trees where they had to have an active firefighting crew moping up the flames...

It still is not counted as the official capital which is why the US embassy is in Tel Aviv.

I lived in Abu Tor, up the top of the hill overlooking the so called 'peace' forest, which was set fire to by Palestinian kids about 5 times a year. They never learned though, that those trees were almost impossible to set fire so only a bit of brush actually burned.

One time, while we were having a great music party, one Palestinian kid tried to steal my kids (6 yo) bicycles right in front of the party guests.

I worked at Intel as a contractor for Varian and Associates on a semiconductor manufacturing machine called an ion implanter, a very large energy intensive ion accelerator used to dope silicon into submission🙂 (become a semiconductor, where the pure silicon is a great insulator, although not as good an insulator as silicon dioxide (sand or glass, take your pick).

One of my kids graduated from HS there, the Anglican International School, right up the street from the Russian embassy. I guess they didn't care if the Palestinians were upset....
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Aug '12 18:18
    Jerusalem is the capital emotionally only. Tell me why the US embassy is in Tel Aviv and not Jerusalem? The whole Romney scam was to suck up to Jewish voters in the US and the same with Poland. BTW, in Poland, he made buddy buddy with Lech Walesa but that fell flat to ...[text shortened]... be too secretive and thus hiding his true motives.

The US Congress passed a law in 1995 designating Jerusalem as Israel's capital and calling for the embassy's relocation.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_Embassy_Act

Presidents have used a waiver provision in the law to avoid moving the embassy, but a statement that "Jerusalem is Israel's capital" is consistent with US law. Obama made similar statements when he was running in 2008.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Aug '12 02:40
    The US Congress passed a law in 1995 designating Jerusalem as Israel's capital and calling for the embassy's relocation.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_Embassy_Act

Presidents have used a waiver provision in the law to avoid moving the embassy, but a statement that "Jerusalem is Israel's capital" is consistent with US law. Obama made similar statements when he was running in 2008.
    Is it any wonder the Palestinians are pissed off?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree