1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    28 Sep '17 22:541 edit
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/roy-moore-failed-to-disclose-massive-amount-of-income-on-his-senate-ethics-form

Roy Moore, the controversial Republican nominee for U.S. Senate in Alabama, neglected to disclose as much as $150,000 in income to federal ethics officials, according to a Daily Beast review of public records.

In filings with the Alabama Ethics Commission, Moore, the former chief justice of the state supreme court, listed between $50,000 and $150,000 in honoraria received last year for various speaking engagements. But in a filing with the Senate Ethics Committee two months later, he explicitly denied having received any payments last year "for an article, speech, or appearance."

Moore’s Senate disclosure filing also stated that neither he or his wife had any outstanding liabilities last year of more than $10,000. But in his Alabama filing, Moore listed between $150,000 and $250,000 in liabilities owed to a credit union or savings and loan (or a credit card issued by one of them) in 2016.

It was not immediately clear why Moore’s two filings are different. A spokesperson did not respond to multiple requests for comment. But Brendan Fischer, the director of the federal reform project at the Campaign Legal Center, a nonprofit watchdog group, said Moore’s financial reporting discrepancies were troubling for a federal candidate ostensibly well versed in the law.

“What is surprising is that these violations are so egregious,” Fischer said in an email. “This is not some complicated area of law. We are talking about a simple financial disclosure form with clear instructions, which asks for information very similar to what Moore had already reported to Alabama a few months prior. Moore was the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, so he can’t possibly claim that the simple instructions for filling out the Senate Financial Disclosure form were too difficult for him to follow.”
    Knowingly submitting false information in a federal financial disclosure report can subject the filer to civil and criminal penalties, the Senate Ethics Committee notes on its website.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    28 Sep '17 22:574 edits
    What is it with these holy Republicans and financial crimes?

If it's not a sex scandal, it's Reps lying about money.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    28 Sep '17 23:14
    Originally posted by @vivify
    What is it with these holy Republicans and financial crimes?

If it's not a sex scandal, it's Reps lying about money.
    It's just who they are.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Sep '17 19:20
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    It's just who they are.
    When the #1 man does the same and has for decades, they follow suit, thinking nobody will notice. The sad part with Moore is it will all probably just blow over in a republican coverup and that will be the end of it. 'Oh you mean THAT kind of speaking, well, I did get a few bucks from that'....
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Sep '17 21:062 edits
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/health-secretary-tom-price-resigns-private-plane-controversy-205246483.html

Secretary of Health Price was found to have used tax payer money to pay for trips. Trump just accepted his resignation. Price said that he would pay back some of the money, but not all of it.

My only question is, shouldn't he be in jail?

Trump went into office with the slogan he was going to drain the swamp, and promised to throw Hillary in jail. The bottom line is though, the swamp swallowed Trump. This is but a small victory with Price but no real justice was found for his crimes.

It reminds me of when Obama tried to appoint people to his cabinet. One by one were found to have never paid their taxes, and had to resign. Why were they not thrown into jail either? The only one who did not resign because he did not pay his taxes headed the IRS.

Hilarious!

What I do like about Trump is that he has refused to hire the army of unelected czars Obama had around him. To date, Trump has saved around $20 million of tax payer money from what I've heard with such cuts in the Executive Branch alone
  6. Germany
    Moves
    30 Sep '17 10:15
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/health-secretary-tom-price-resigns-private-plane-controversy-205246483.html

Secretary of Health Price was found to have used tax payer money to pay for trips. Trump just accepted his resignation. Price said that he would pay back some of the money, but not all of it.

My only question is, shouldn't he be in jail?

Trump we ...[text shortened]... $20 million of tax payer money from what I've heard with such cuts in the Executive Branch alone
    How many Obama administration cabinet members were forced to resign due to "never [paying] taxes"?
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Sep '17 10:26
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    How many Obama administration cabinet members were forced to resign due to "never [paying] taxes"?
    One Cabinet level nominee - Tom Daschle - was forced to withdraw because of nonpayment of taxes.

In case you haven't noticed, whodey tends to exaggerate a wee bit.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    30 Sep '17 10:57
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    One Cabinet level nominee - Tom Daschle - was forced to withdraw because of nonpayment of taxes.

In case you haven't noticed, whodey tends to exaggerate a wee bit.
    I noticed, but now you've spoiled whodey's squirming and slithering.

Of course Donald Trump's open solicitation, acceptance and payment of bribes is A-OK.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree