1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 15:04
    http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/south_carolina/election_2012_south_carolina_republican_primary

This thing could be over really, really fast.

I know this goes without saying, but if Romney, after cruising in NH (which seems inevitable now) somehow wins SC, this thing will be OVER. If that happens, Florida will be a coronation and the later primaries will be a mere formality.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 15:56
    If Republicans want liberal activist judges appointed, then Mitt is your man!
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 16:03
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/south_carolina/election_2012_south_carolina_republican_primary

This thing could be over really, really fast.

I know this goes without saying, but if Romney, after cruising in NH (which seems inevitable now) somehow wins SC, this thing will b ...[text shortened]... If that happens, Florida will be a coronation and the later primaries will be a mere formality.
    A few more jobs reports like this one: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-06/u-s-payrolls-gain-more-than-expected-200-000-jobless-rate-falls-to-8-5-.html

and they might as well put a crown of thorns on Mitt's head. It would be interesting to see which face of his the blood would pour onto.
  4. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 16:13
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    A few more jobs reports like this one: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-06/u-s-payrolls-gain-more-than-expected-200-000-jobless-rate-falls-to-8-5-.html

and they might as well put a crown of thorns on Mitt's head. It would be interesting to see which face of his the blood would pour onto.
    Oh the imagery! Niiiiice.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 16:24
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Oh the imagery! Niiiiice.
    Would Romney be better than Obama?
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 16:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    He couldn't be worse.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 16:45

Long ago I predicted 8% unemployment by 2012.

Close but no cigar. 😕
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 16:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    Impossible to tell, but might would be nice to have someone with actual experience running things successfully get the chance to run the world's largest economy*.

* (I don't consider the EU a single economy)
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 16:492 edits

Yup, if Obama is lucky, he may just have waited long enough for the economy to rebound.

If he's unlucky, the pending European debt mess will drag us down along with it and the President may have to re-apply for a job as a Chicago community organizer.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 16:55
    Impossible to tell, but might would be nice to have someone with actual experience running things successfully get the chance to run the world's largest economy.
    Well, he's only "running the world's largest economy" when the economy is pear shaped. When it's running well and not pear shaped, it has nothing much to do with the president, right?
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 17:131 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well, he's only "running the world's largest economy" when the economy is pear shaped. When it's running well and not pear shaped, it has nothing much to do with the president, right?
    It always has something to do with the President, although the President's role is admittedly overrated. For example, I give President Clinton great credit for the economy in the mid to late 1990s. The Obama administration's policies have had mixed results, at best and we have been stuck in a sluggish economy with poor unemployment numbers for more time than the typical recession lasts. Was this all the fault of factors completely outside of the the President's control? Perhaps, but I'm unconvinced.

I think (don't know, but think) that a Romney administration would have been better equipped to handle the economic malaise than the Obama administration.

Incidentally, I an NOT saying that Obama is a bad President. I really don't think he is. I give him credit for successfully ending the Iraq occupation and certainly I give him credit for having the guts to go get Osama. Repealing DADT was a good move as well. I am not in love with Obamacare, but at least I admire the President's determination to change the status quo.

What I am saying is that I just don't think that he has the expertise and experience to manage the US economy and I think the proof of that is in the results.
  12. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 18:292 edits
    It always has something to do with the President, although the President's role is admittedly overrated. For example, I give President Clinton great credit for the economy in the mid to late 1990s. The Obama administration's policies have had mixed results, at best and we have been stuck in a sluggish economy with poor unemployment numbers for more time than th and experience to manage the US economy and I think the proof of that is in the results.
    If the Republicans had filibustered bills like the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 instead of just voting no, things would have been quite different.

This chart is just one example of how obstructionist Obama's Republican opposition has been.

http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/reference/cloture_motions/clotureCounts.htm

Add to the fact that this was no simple recession. When Obama took over the entire banking and automotive industry was poised to completely collapse. We we losing 750,000 jobs per month. You act like this was some normal, cyclical recession and it most definitely wasn't. Obama didn't simply have to stop the bleeding and fix his mess. He had to do so with a well oiled and disciplined political opposition that was hell bent on stopping him, and has the legal means to do so.
  13. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 22:10
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Long ago I predicted 8% unemployment by 2012.

Close but no cigar. 😕
    The year isn't over yet.
  14. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 22:15
    According to romneyian quantum field theorists it will pour onto all faces simultaneously as a probability cloud exhibiting properties of wave-particle duality.
  15. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    06 Jan '12 22:35
    Quote of the day from Andy Borowitz – “It says something about Mitt Romney that even compared to Rick Santorum he seems like a dick.”

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree