1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 15:072 edits
    Was a bit of a fracas on this Forum last summer about this case, but a Brazilian appeals case has dismissed all charges against Ryan Lochte:

According to USA Today, the court concluded that Lochte, who eventually admitted he “over-exaggerated” the story and apologized for his “immature behavior,” did not break Brazilian law. The three-judge panel, in a 2-1 ruling, noted that Rio police, not Lochte, had initiated the investigation and that the story he first told NBC did not meet the standard of a false report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/07/14/ryan-lochte-cleared-of-false-report-charge-after-incident-at-rio-olympics/?utm_term=.b0ad3aa3a766

Hate to say "I told ya so" but I cited experts in Brazilian law last year who said this was a likely outcome. Of course, prosecutors could still appeal.

EDIT: Last year's thread is at: https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/debates/ryan-lochte-an-olympic-tale-of-gold-medals-and-white-privilege-article.169870

EDIT2: Actually, I luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv to say "I told ya so".😏
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 17:01
    Seems obvious to me that someone making up stuff on Facebook (or other social media) about adventures in another country isn't really breaking too many laws. I don't know why he was charged in the first place. Much better to just publish a rude statement about his dishonesty and leave it at that.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 17:05
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    EDIT2: Actually, I luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv to say "I told ya so".😏
    Given that the lower court ruled the other way, and even the current ruling was 2-1, it wasn't as clear cut as you are making out, and you just lucked out. It seems silly to me that any judge thought it worth their time.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 18:08
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Given that the lower court ruled the other way, and even the current ruling was 2-1, it wasn't as clear cut as you are making out, and you just lucked out. It seems silly to me that any judge thought it worth their time.
    Too bad the Brazilian prosecutors didn't have access to my four leaf clover and rabbit's foot.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 19:03

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 19:42
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Well, here they ruled against government officials (and they haven't said it was okay to kill any kids).
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '17 20:212 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree