1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 12:36
    A left-wing former television journalist, Mauricio Funes, has been sworn-in as president of El Salvador.

President Funes heads the FMLN, the former Marxist rebels who fought a 12-year civil war against US-backed governments until 1992.

Whole article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/americas/8078133.stm

No 'generalissimo thread' yet about corruption, election fraud, democracy gone wrong, economic illiteracy, 'madmen and fools', "another dictator elected"...?

Some people say that nobody ever persuades anyone else at Debates to change their mind about anything.

But maybe sometimes they do.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 12:42
    Or maybe it's because Funes said he wanted to improve relations with the US.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 12:45
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Mmm. Yes. But I prefer to kid myself and think a mind has been changed here.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 12:52
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Seconds thoughts: yes, I see what you're getting at.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 13:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]A left-wing former television journalist, Mauricio Funes, has been sworn-in as president of El Salvador.

President Funes heads the FMLN, the former Marxist rebels who fought a 12-year civil war against US-backed governments until 1992.

Whole article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/americas/8078133.stm

No 'generalissimo thread' yet about corrup ...[text shortened]... nyone else at Debates to change their mind about anything.

But maybe sometimes they do.[/b]
    Dictators are generally not elected. Either they seize power by force or become dictators after they are duly elected.

In spite of the bit about restoring relations with Cuba (which Obama would probably do also if he could find a way to do it without pissing off the Florida Cuban ex-pats); that article painted almost a love fest between Funes and Hillary. Who fought whom 20 years ago doesn't matter.

Besides, the US can get along with leftist governments. We got along with Paul Martin's Canada pretty well. 🙂 *

* - Just to make sure there's no uncertainly, the smiley means I'm kidding around about that last remark.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 17:41
    Originally posted by sh76
    Dictators are generally not elected. Either they seize power by force or become dictators after they are duly elected.
    You don't say.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    02 Jun '09 18:21
    Well, there are leftist policies and there is leftist rhetoric... time will tell which one applies here.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 13:29
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, there are leftist policies and there is leftist rhetoric... time will tell which one applies here.
    Has there ever been a government that's leftist enough to suit your preference?
  9. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 13:30
    That would depend on your definition of leftist.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 14:11
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    That would depend on your definition of leftist.
    However you define it
  11. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 14:28
    However you define it
    Then the answer is no.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Jun '09 15:37
    Any government that was sufficiently leftist would disband itself.
  13. silicon valley
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 02:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    Mmm. Yes. But I prefer to kid myself and think a mind has been changed here.
    flexmore! a nice guy from NZ or Australia. he changed his mind once.
  14. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    04 Jun '09 03:47
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    flexmore! a nice guy from NZ or Australia. he changed his mind once.
    I think most avoid that test of humility by remaining committedly undecided 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree