Scale of Tragedy

Scale of Tragedy

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
04 May 11

Originally posted by whodey
Ding, ding, ding, ding!!

How much do I owe for the interprative services?
Future silence?

F

Moves
04 May 11

Originally posted by sh76
I think this is essentially what whodey is trying to say, though perhaps he could use a bit of help in doing so.
What is it that motivates you to embrace the whodey take on this? I understand and respect your take. But why would you come to whodey's rescue? Is it just a spectrum thing? Is it just partisan thing? Gut feeling? Is it just "...sports"? From where I am, whodey [and Seitse] are an embarrassment to you, equivalent to how bad 'living in a cave' is. Why do you accept being stuck in the corner with the whodeys of this world? Is not your moral, principled, political, historical position worth something more than something that involves joining up with the likes of the deceitful, small minded, swallow-anything whodey?

F

Moves
04 May 11

What I am saying is that the world view of the Stalinist regime was that it was "evil" by in large.
So this affects your perspective of innocent untermenschen civilian deaths in their hundreds of thousands in Leningrad? To get back to the OP... Does humanity have difficulty perceiving the scale of tragedies? The "scale" of what happened at Leningrad was somehow diminished because you think its victims were "evil"... by association? Talk us through your perception. Please.

F

Moves
04 May 11

I would say that this is the view of the US in the Middle East. Sure they may have a little sympathy for some catastrophy that they may edure but by in large they would probably be dancing in the streets. This is because they have baught into the view that the US is an evil empire.
What does the Middle East have to do with the siege of Leningrad?

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
04 May 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
What is it that motivates you to embrace the whodey take on this? I understand and respect your take. But why would you come to whodey's rescue? Is it just a spectrum thing? Is it just partisan thing? Gut feeling? Is it just "...sports"? From where I am, whodey [and Seitse] are an embarrassment to you, equivalent to how bad 'living in a cave' is. Why do y ...[text shortened]... involves joining up with the likes of the deceitful, small minded, swallow-anything whodey?
One might also ask what motivates you to continually engage and draw out one who's opinion you so disdain.

...talk us through your comparison of "Muslims dancing in the streets when the Twin Towers go down in New York City" and the siege of Leningrad. - FMF

Talk us through how the siege of Leningrad was "sportsman like". - FMF

I'm going with "sports." 🙂

K

Germany

Moves
04 May 11

Originally posted by FMF
Does humanity have difficulty perceiving the scale of tragedies?
Yes.

F

Moves
04 May 11

Originally posted by Sleepyguy
One might also ask what motivates you to continually engage and draw out one who's opinion you so disdain.

...talk us through your comparison of "Muslims dancing in the streets when the Twin Towers go down in New York City" and the siege of Leningrad. - FMF

Talk us through how the siege of Leningrad was "sportsman like". - FMF

Whodey has called me an anti-semite, several times. Are you?

i

Moves
04 May 11

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Should you wish to be crushed by the steamroller that is the memory of Soviet and other suffering in WW2, I recommend Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman.
Good book, although there are countless other good books on Leningrad, Stalingrad and other WW2 battles by Russian authors.

F

Moves
04 May 11

I think whodey is little different from 'living in a cave'. Maybe your "sports" thing blinds you to that fact.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
04 May 11

Originally posted by FMF
Whodey has called me an anti-semite, several times. Are you?
Not sports, but revenge then?

F

Moves
04 May 11

...talk us through your comparison of "Muslims dancing in the streets when the Twin Towers go down in New York City" and the siege of Leningrad. - FMF, Talk us through how the siege of Leningrad was "sportsman like". - FMF

Whodey compares 9/11 to Leningrad; whodey says Leningrad was "sportsman like"... and you say it's ME who is treating human tragedy as "sports". Me? How does that work?

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
04 May 11

Originally posted by FMF
I think whodey is little different from 'living in a cave'. Maybe your "sports" thing blinds you to that fact.
I'm not sure what you mean by my "sports" thing. I just picked that out of the list of motivations you tossed out to sh76.

F

Moves
04 May 11

Not sports, but revenge then?
Revenge for what?

i

Moves
04 May 11

Originally posted by FMF
From a book review: [b]"The Nazi siege of Leningrad from 1941 to 1943, during which time the city was cut off from the rest of the world, was one of the most gruesome episodes of World War II. In scale, the tragedy of Leningrad dwarfs even the Warsaw ghetto or Hiroshima."

Why is the siege of Leningrad so often overlooked?

Does humanity have diff ...[text shortened]... es modern global round the clock competitive media coverage affect both perception and memory?[/b]
1) It's only overlooked in the countries where popular media intentionally wishes to withhold or diminish its coverage.

2) Humanity, by and large, depends on its media outlets to perceive the scale of tragedies.

3) Mostly negatively, since it allows to magnify selective events.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
04 May 11

Originally posted by FMF
Whodey compares 9/11 to Leningrad; whodey says Leningrad was "sportsman like"... and you say it's ME who is treating human tragedy as "sports". Me? How does that work?
No no no. Geez. I'm only saying, rather tongue-in-cheek-like, that you seem to enjoy making a sport out of picking whodey apart. Chill dude.