1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 15:281 edit
    The University of Wisconsin gets the shaft! 250 million taken from the University, and given to billionaire owners of a local NBA team. I don't understand why people still support this guy.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2015/08/14/scott-walker-takes-250-million-from-u-wisconsin-gives-250m-to-billionaire-sports-team-owners/
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 16:56
    Scott Walker loves rich people?

It's a good thing we have Hillary running who shuns rich people and runs a grass roots only campaign. 😵
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 17:322 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    Scott Walker loves rich people?

It's a good thing we have Hillary running who shuns rich people and runs a grass roots only campaign. 😵
    Whodey...Hillary was not responsible for this situation in Wisconsin, Scott Walker is. We here in Washington State faced a similar situation about 5 years ago when the new owner of the Seattle Super Sonics threatened to move the team unless he received millions from the taxpayers for a new facility. Our lawmakers and voters decided our University and our state in general was more important than a sports franchise, so Oklahoma City now has a new basketball team. I apologize for my blue state mentality, but giving away millions of taxpayer dollars to billionaire owners of sports teams seems like corporate welfare in it's purest form. I'm happy my state lawmakers decided our University was more important than subsidizing billionaire business people. (And I'm still trying to figure out what this these 2 events have to do with Hillary)
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 19:03
    Originally posted by bill718
    Whodey...Hillary was not responsible for this situation in Wisconsin, Scott Walker is. We here in Washington State faced a similar situation about 5 years ago when the new owner of the Seattle Super Sonics threatened to move the team unless he received millions from the taxpayers for a new facility. Our lawmakers and voters decided our University and our sta ...[text shortened]... ss people. (And I'm still trying to figure out what this these 2 events have to do with Hillary)
    While I believe that tax payers shouldn't pay a penny for sports arenas, there is a huge cost: perhaps the most exciting basketball team in the world is now in Oklahoma City and not your state.
  5. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 19:07
    Originally posted by quackquack
    While I believe that tax payers shouldn't pay a penny for sports arenas, there is a huge cost: perhaps the most exciting basketball team in the world is now in Oklahoma City and not your state.
    Good...Oklahoma can have the thrills, we'll keep the cash.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 19:10
    Whodey...Hillary was not responsible for this situation in Wisconsin, Scott Walker is. We here in Washington State faced a similar situation about 5 years ago when the new owner of the Seattle Super Sonics threatened to move the team unless he received millions from the taxpayers for a new facility. Our lawmakers and voters decided our University and our sta ...[text shortened]... ss people. (And I'm still trying to figure out what this these 2 events have to do with Hillary)
    Did you learn this from his own personal e-mail or is he savy enough not to discuss such issues there?
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '15 18:17
    and who do you think is to blame. i am sure i can find at least a mayor that tried to cut funding for the local team only to be burned at the steak.

teams threaten to leave their towns all the time if they don't get what they want and the town gives it to them.
  8. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    16 Aug '15 19:07
    Originally posted by quackquack
    BFD! I live in Wisconsin. Walker has ruined the state on multiple levels.
  9. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    16 Aug '15 19:11
    Check this out for Scott Walker's comments on his qualifications for being Commander in Chief of the U.S.A. armed forces.
    http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/30/scott-walker-from-eagle-scout-to-commander-in-chief/?_r=0
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 22:28
    The University of Wisconsin gets the shaft! 250 million taken from the University, and given to billionaire owners of a local NBA team. I don't understand why people still support this guy.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2015/08/14/scott-walker-takes-250-million-from-u-wisconsin-gives-250m-to-billionaire-sports-team-owners/
    You are linking the two amounts because they conveniently are the same number. Governors don't usually have to power to just {b]'give"[/b] money to people. Appropriations are submitted and passed by the legislature.

Most Universities are getting way too much taxpayer money (IMHO), but I also oppose taxpayer money being used to fund sports arenas. Perhaps both moves should have been done, but that was the job of the Wisconsin legislature.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Aug '15 22:30
    Originally posted by Phranny
    BFD! I live in Wisconsin. Walker has ruined the state on multiple levels.
    Yet he repeatedly got elected and beat back recall efforts, in a State which was owned by the opposing party. 🙄🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree