http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    21 Apr '10 20:27
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    Cute idea. This represents a very small gain out of 2 decades of major losses. Hopefully it will continue.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    21 Apr '10 20:30
    Yeah; I've noticed Al Gore hasn't been talking much lately. The decrease in hot air from that alone was probably enough to do the trick.
  4. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    21 Apr '10 21:54
    Originally posted by sh76
    Yeah; I've noticed Al Gore hasn't been talking much lately. The decrease in hot air from that alone was probably enough to do the trick.
    Except that he has, he just had an Op-Ed in the new york times, in February for instance. Just because you close your eyes and ears doesn't make the problem go away.
  5. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    21 Apr '10 22:021 edit
    Here you go, since you're having trouble finding it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/opinion/28gore.html?pagewanted=1
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    21 Apr '10 22:05
    Originally posted by joneschr
    Except that he has, he just had an Op-Ed in the new york times, in February for instance. Just because you close your eyes and ears doesn't make the problem go away.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '10 22:20
    It's too early to see what this year's trend is. The ten year trend does not look good and the graph compares against some of the warmest years we've had in modern record.

But then again, I expect most people to be statistically and scientifically inept.
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    21 Apr '10 22:46
    the problem has GOT to go away sometime, unless Al Gore is immortal.
  9. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    21 Apr '10 22:521 edit
    Bah, Al gore has as much to do with the creation of global warming as he does with the creation of the internet. It won't go away when he does.
  10. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    21 Apr '10 23:03
    By the way, what happened to the conservative position that global warming does exist - it just isn't created by humans? Just because we had a cool year (in the US only mind you) we're going to back off on that position?
  11. silicon valley
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 17:26
    Originally posted by Badwater
    It's too early to see what this year's trend is. The ten year trend does not look good and the graph compares against some of the warmest years we've had in modern record.

But then again, I expect most people to be statistically and scientifically inept.
    yeah, especially when they can't be bothered to compare 2007 (the nadir) vs. 2008 and 2009 (the two most recent full years' data).
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 17:35
    By the way, what happened to the conservative position that global warming does exist - it just isn't created by humans? Just because we had a cool year (in the US only mind you) we're going to back off on that position?
    Disclaimer: Although I'm not close to certain, I do think that AGW probably is real and probably is a problem that's worth dealing with.

But, to play Devil's advocate for a moment:

Those 2 positions (global warming is real, but not anthropogenic; and the warming has stopped) are entirely consistent with each other. The entire line would go:

- Yes, there is a warming trend over the last 30 years and maybe even a general warming trend over the last 200

- But that's because there are natural cycles in global temperatures. Now we're in a bit of a warming cycle; but even within the cycle, there have been smaller eras of cooling and warming.

- The fact that the trend has leveled off recently; either in the last 12 years or the last 2 or 3, depending on your frame of reference, while CO2 emissions have increased, is an indication that CO2 emissions are not very strongly correlated to global warming and that the cooling and warming are natural cycles.
  13. silicon valley
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 23:15
    if it wasn't caused by an increase in carbon dioxide, then it is a waste of billions of dollars to try to fix it by limiting humans' CO2 output.

there are many, many people who would be happy to spend that money, paying only lip service to AGW. how are they different than mafia without the violence?
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 23:161 edit
    "spend" as in "spend or consume other people's money".
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 23:39
    Originally posted by sh76
    you must be quiet to catch a sweet gazelle.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree