1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 21:27
    Should Republicans vote now to extend the Bush tax cuts on income up to $250,000, which is 98% of people (and 97% of small businesses), or should they wait until a final plan is reached, or just go off the cliff?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 21:33
    Well, they should vote for bigger tax hikes for a larger percentage of people. But let's instead consider what would be smart for them politically. If the GOP can, as a bloc, enforce party discipline and all vote in favour of a small tax hike it will be much harder for ATR to come after incumbents. In return the GOP could probably ensure no cuts in military spending and maybe some cuts to social programmes.
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 21:36
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Should Republicans vote now to extend the Bush tax cuts on income up to $250,000, which is 98% of people (and 97% of small businesses), or should they wait until a final plan is reached, or just go off the cliff?
    What does Grover Norquist say?
  4. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 21:38
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, they should vote for bigger tax hikes for a larger percentage of people. But let's instead consider what would be smart for them politically. If the GOP can, as a bloc, enforce party discipline and all vote in favour of a small tax hike it will be much harder for ATR to come after incumbents. In return the GOP could probably ensure no cuts in military spending and maybe some cuts to social programmes.
    If a deal is cut involving tax increases, I am curious to see how signficant an impact ATR will have pushing to primary out the traitor Republicans in 2014.
  5. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 21:43
    No. Insofar as House Republicans are serious about fixing this nation's problems, and Obama is willing to drop the hammer on the middle class to score political points - to say nothing of the damage he would inflict on his second-term agenda - Republicans have to stand their ground for real, and very large, spending cuts.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 21:45
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    No. Insofar as House Republicans are serious about fixing this nation's problems, and Obama is willing to drop the hammer on the middle class to score political points - to say nothing of the damage he would inflict on his second-term agenda - Republicans have to stand their ground for real, and very large, spending cuts.
    I sure hope they do. Polls show the Republicans will get the rightful blame if the fiscal cliff is reached due to their refusal to let the Bush tax cuts expire for the highest earners.
  7. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 22:16
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I sure hope they do. Polls show the Republicans will get the rightful blame if the fiscal cliff is reached due to their refusal to let the Bush tax cuts expire for the highest earners.
    Ok. Just stop with the polls. "We think other people should pay more taxes". Liberals get stuck in this self-affirmation do-loop where you're in violent agreement with each other and you just think, ok, well we get to have our way now. No, you don't. That would be an abdication of responsiblity by the elected representatives of the Republican Party not just to their constituents, but to the country as a whole.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 22:26
    Ok. Just stop with the polls. "We think other people should pay more taxes". Liberals get stuck in this self-affirmation do-loop where you're in violent agreement with each other and you just think, ok, well we get to have our way now. No, you don't. That would be an abdication of responsiblity by the elected representatives of the Republican Party not just to their constituents, but to the country as a whole.
    Americans know that the taxes on the rich have been sharply decreased for the last 30 years. Although you seem to hate the American public now that your ideology has been rejected, it is hardly unreasonable for them to say that this should be reversed in a time of fiscal crisis to contribute to the solution.
  9. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 22:37
    Americans know that the taxes on the rich have been sharply decreased for the last 30 years. Although you seem to hate the American public now that your ideology has been rejected, it is hardly unreasonable for them to say that this should be reversed in a time of fiscal crisis to contribute to the solution.
    You're projecting. I don't hate anybody.

So, while we're on the subject - true or false statement for you.

A long-term solution to America's fiscal and economic crises will require spending cuts.
  10. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 22:394 edits
    My assumption is that all or nearly all Republicans in Congress want to extend the Bush tax cuts, without or without spending cuts. Sure, the Republicans want spending cuts, but they want to extend the Bush tax cuts no matter what.

With that in mind, let me rephrase the question.

Should Republicans who want to extend the Bush tax cuts (without or without spending cuts), and which I assume most if not all of the Republicans in Congress want to do so, vote now to extend the Bush tax cuts for income up to $250,000 (98% of people and 97% of small businesses) with or without any spending cuts, or wait and risk that the Bush tax cuts will not be extended on the 98% (income up to $250,000)?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 22:40
    You're projecting. I don't hate anybody.

So, while we're on the subject - true or false statement for you.

A long-term solution to America's fiscal and economic crises will require spending cuts.
    True.
  12. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 22:42
    My assumption is that all or nearly all Republicans in Congress want to extend the Bush tax cuts, without or without spending cuts. Sure, the Republicans want spending cuts, but they want to extend the Bush tax cuts no matter what.

With that in mind, let me rephrase the question.

Should Republicans who want to extend the Bush tax cuts (without or wit ...[text shortened]... ing cuts, or wait and risk that the Bush tax cuts will not be extended on income up to $250,000?
    You asked two questions.

No. Yes.
  13. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 22:43
    True.
    See? OK, then we're in the same ballpark.
  14. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 22:453 edits
    You asked two questions.

No. Yes.
    Should Republicans who want to extend the Bush tax cuts (without or without spending cuts), and which I assume most if not all of the Republicans in Congress want to do so, vote now to extend the Bush tax cuts for income up to $250,000 (98% of people and 97% of small businesses) with or without any spending cuts?

Your answer: No?

Or wait and risk that the Bush tax cuts will not be extended on the 98% (income up to $250,000)?

Your answer: Yes?

-----------

Why wait and risk the Bush tax cuts not being extended for the 98% of people and 97% of small businesses. Are you for tax increases?
  15. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 22:49
    Should Republicans who want to extend the Bush tax cuts (without or without spending cuts), and which I assume most if not all of the Republicans in Congress want to do so, vote now to extend the Bush tax cuts for income up to $250,000 (98% of people and 97% of small businesses) with or without any spending cuts?

No?

Or wait and risk that the Bush tax ...[text shortened]... ot being extended for the 98% of people and 97% of small businesses. Are you for tax increases?
    Because Obama is not the least bit serious about meaningful spending cuts. If Republicans give away the tax breaks Obama wants, they have no leverage to get what they need to do what is right for the country.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree