1. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 17:25
    UI should be a lifetime entitlement if need be. Nobody should ever be cut off.
  2. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 20:33
    Originally posted by badmoon
    So you want to pay for people to sit around and use drugs? From what I hear that is about half of the population. They don't have the work-ethic like Newt Gingrich. They just want to smoke dope and make posts advocating the election of Ron Paul. (Of course, I hope they'll elect him 'cause he'll straighten their lazy butts right out. None of them will collect unemployment under his watch.)
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 01:18
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    So you are so saying that you should not have to be tested to receive unemployment benefits? How about Social Security or Medicare or Medicaid? Why should my tax dollars go to your Social Security check if you are going to sit around high all day? Do you think you have a right to government money if you're going to use it to purchase drugs?
    What do you mean YOUR tax dollars going to SS recipients getting high? My benefits come directly from the frigging SS tax I paid into the system for 50 years. It's my frigging money, I frigging earned it. If I want to get high on it, That's MY business.
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 14:52
    Who'd seriously want the Dude in the big Lebowski to stop smoking pot and get a job???

See?

What do you really want?
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 17:55
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Who'd seriously want the Dude in the big Lebowski to stop smoking pot and get a job???

See?

What do you really want?
    The Dude lives in California. He's not going to stop smoking pot. CA is pot central these days.

However he should get a job if he can.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 18:06
    Originally posted by badmoon
    If UI was free, then I could see your point. Too bad we can't just have the government cut everyone a $50K check every year. I think we'd all be better off if we all have an extra 50K in our pockets.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 22:00
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If UI was free, then I could see your point. Too bad we can't just have the government cut everyone a $50K check every year. I think we'd all be better off if we all have an extra 50K in our pockets.
    The US could easily afford a guaranteed minimum income of say $10k.
  8. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    21 Dec '11 00:30
    Drug test all three branches of the government.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '11 16:28
    In the House, Republicans have proposed a bill that would slash 40 weeks from the duration of federal unemployment compensation and allow states to require the unemployed to pass drug tests in order to receive benefits. Should passing a drug-test be required in order to receive unemployment compensation?
    The title of this thread is a bit misleading. It isn't the unemployed who might get drug tested, it is the unemployed who are begging money from the government. In other words, those people who are not working and want to take my money (the taxes I pay).

I see nothing wrong with saying if you can't pass a drug test you can't have tax payer money.

If you are unemployed and doing drugs then you are a worthless and do not deserve free money.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Dec '11 18:37
    The title of this thread is a bit misleading. It isn't the unemployed who might get drug tested, it is the unemployed who are begging money from the government. In other words, those people who are not working and want to take my money (the taxes I pay).

I see nothing wrong with saying if you can't pass a drug test you can't have tax payer money.

If you are unemployed and doing drugs then you are a worthless and do not deserve free money.
    You are suggesting people be put under tremendous stress with no relief. There are consequences to such policies.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Dec '11 18:51

People who are eligible for unemployment are those who have held a job for a significant period of time but lost their job through no fault of their own. Even if they had used drugs, they were able to retain gainful employment. Borderline hate speech directed at them is misplaced; they are not "beggars" but those who are legally entitled to relief due to economic circumstances beyond their control. One of the purposes of the program is to counteract the depressionary effect of high unemployment on the economy; absent such a program and other economic stabilizers moralistic blowhards like yourself might find themselves without a job.
  12. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    21 Dec '11 19:37
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    People who are eligible for unemployment are those who have held a job for a significant period of time but lost their job through no fault of their own. Even if they had used drugs, they were able to retain gainful employment. Borderline hate speech directed at them is misplaced; they are not "beggars" but those who are legally entitled to relief due to ...[text shortened]... r economic stabilizers moralistic blowhards like yourself might find themselves without a job.
    Thumb up thingy from me no.1marauder. Your statement is spot on.
    I went to respond to his statement but could not fathom where to begin.
    Thanks.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Dec '11 22:39

Do you realize how many rich people fall into the category of unemployed and using drugs!?
  14. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    21 Dec '11 23:47
    In the House, Republicans have proposed a bill that would slash 40 weeks from the duration of federal unemployment compensation and allow states to require the unemployed to pass drug tests in order to receive benefits. Should passing a drug-test be required in order to receive unemployment compensation?
    Didn't we go through something like this in Florida where the drug test positive rate of aid recipients turned out to be much lower than the public at large?
  15. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    21 Dec '11 23:48
    Yup.

http://colorlines.com/archives/2011/08/98_of_florida_welfare_applicants_pass_newly_implemented_drug_tests_discrediting_governor.html

The Republicans are apparently gluttons for punishment on the issue.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree