1. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 13:59
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The enormous diversity of opinions, values and preferences around the globe is declining, and it's declining fast. English being adopted as the world's lingua franca is the first step. The EU and the euro are a blueprint of what will happen next - a slow, gradual change to further integration of economies and governments, despite petty nationalist senti ...[text shortened]... Texas be able to agree on national tax policy? Probably not. Will they in 100 years? Probably.
    I find it most unlikely that local conditions will even out to the extent that a world government will be able to satisfy most of the people even some of the time. The future of the euro is far from decisively settled, and the the EU has plenty of severe critics. Local nationalisms in, say, Scotland, Flanders and the Basque Country are also still potent - and arguably have been bolstered by the centralising priorities of the EU.

I don't see what's wrong with a world of numerous small states, with their governments able to respond flexibly and precisely to the priorities of their constituents, but with basic rights guaranteed across the board and common interests promoted by supranational structures such as the EU and the UN.
  2. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 14:12
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    I find it most unlikely that local conditions will even out to the extent that a world government will be able to satisfy most of the people even some of the time. The future of the euro is far from decisively settled, and the the EU has plenty of severe critics. Local nationalisms in, say, Scotland, Flanders and the Basque Country are also still potent - ...[text shortened]... the board and common interests promoted by supranational structures such as the EU and the UN.
    Kind of like what we had in 1938 with the League of Nations...hmmm?
  3. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 14:14
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    Kind of like what we had in 1938 with the League of Nations...hmmm?
    No, more like we have now. It could still be improved, though.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 15:09
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I agree. I see no way how this large segment of the worlds population could ever be assimilated into a one world government.
    That is only one example of why it is a pipe dream to have a unified world.

You speak of "petty nationalist sentiments". There are nations for a reason and they are far from petty. Many of these separate nations have extr ...[text shortened]... eligion, etc.
    IMO there could never be a unified world today, tomorrow or 100 years from now.
    What were women's and gay rights like in 1900 in the western world? Has it remained so forever?
  5. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 15:55
    Geez, someone has watched a little too much Star Trek.
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 15:57
    What were women's and gay rights like in 1900 in the western world? Has it remained so forever?
    No. But there is really no comparison that can made between the U.S. in 1900 ( or any year for that matter) and the fundamental Islamo Arab world. In current times or going back 1500 years.
    Apples and oranges really.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 16:16
    No. But there is really no comparison that can made between the U.S. in 1900 ( or any year for that matter) and the fundamental Islamo Arab world. In current times or going back 1500 years.
    Apples and oranges really.
    So why can these sort of things change in the western world, but not in the "Islamo Arab" world (FYI: they have)?
  8. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 16:40
    So why can these sort of things change in the western world, but not in the "Islamo Arab" world (FYI: they have)?
    As I said , they are apples and oranges. There is no parallel between fundamental Islamic Arab states and 1900 U.S. in its treatment of woman for one example.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 17:07
    As I said , they are apples and oranges. There is no parallel between fundamental Islamic Arab states and 1900 U.S. in its treatment of woman for one example.
    Solid argument.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 17:22
    World government is a pie-in-the-sky unrealistic idea.

I would never presume myself capable of dictating the rules that govern the lives of African shepards or Indian factory workers and I sure as heck don't want African shepards or Indian factory workers making the rules that are going to govern my life. I can't possibly know what's best for them and they can't possibly know what's best for me.
  11. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 17:40
    Originally posted by sh76
    I would never presume myself capable of dictating the rules that govern the lives of ....
    I think you're on to something there.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 17:54

I would never presume myself capable of dictating the rules that govern the lives of African shepards or Indian factory workers and I sure as heck don't want African shepards or Indian factory workers making the rules that are going to govern my life. I can't possibly know what's best for them and they can't possibly know what's best for me.
    But you're fine with trailer trash having a say about the rules you have to live by? Or dictating the rules of Amish?
  13. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 18:15

World government will happen the moment I am allowed to elect my UN representative.

That's not a very high hurdle.
  14. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 18:51
    But you're fine with trailer trash having a say about the rules you have to live by? Or dictating the rules of Amish?
    Here comes the bigotry.... that didn't take long. 😠
  15. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    03 Jan '12 18:59
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    World government will happen the moment I am allowed to elect my UN representative.

That's not a very high hurdle.
    This whole notion of a one world government with all nations merging is absurd and a very sophomoric idea.
    We already know the arab situation. Could you see the Russians, China,or N.Korea fitting into this scenario ?
    The bottom line is we are always going to have separate nations and we are always going to have wars with one nation trying to impose their will or desires onto another one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree