1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 19:37
    Seriously.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-28018302

I support African Americans in their struggle to overcome their historical plight, but the U.S. traumas, values and unwritten rules should remain there. They're not an exportable product.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 20:01
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Seriously.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-28018302

I support African Americans in their struggle to overcome their historical plight, but the U.S. traumas, values and unwritten rules should remain there. They're not an exportable product.
    There's a village on the South Coast of England somewhere that made the news a couple of years ago when the media found out about a traditional thing where every year on one day they all black their faces and have a sort of street party. The one black family who live there said they could put up with hiding indoors for one day a year, given it was the perfect place to live for the other 364 days - and no one was racist the rest of the time. The population were condemned for being racist of course, but I wonder if it was to do with race. In the 1723 there was an Act of Parliament, called the Waltham Black Act which made blacking your face a hanging offence as evidence of poaching. I suspect it could be a folk memory of this (if everyone does it then they can't hang everyone and so you can poach that day). Of course the PC merchants were too busy condemning to think of non-racist explanations. If PC is a matter of treating people with respect it's a good thing, but when it becomes a way of moralizing at people who don't quite get it right then it's not.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 20:11
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    If PC is a matter of treating people with respect it's a good thing, but when it becomes a way of moralizing at people who don't quite get it right then it's not.
    I agree with you.

However, who decides (and does it freely and uninfluenced) what is respectful and what not?

An example: some Americans of Latin American ancestry (the term I consider appropriate for the so called "Latinos" or "Hispanics") are starting to do some noise for mariachi costumes, i.e. sombrero, fake mustache, poncho, etc.

Out of the U.S., though, and by that I mean the millions south of the Río Grande, it is something quirky albeit funny. Nothing shocking. So, should they be told that it is a must to be offended? What is the role of Americans of Latin American ancestry, through social media and the like, to scream and shout if, let's say, in London there is a parade of English sporting sombreros and mustaches?
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 20:39
    I agree with you.

However, who decides (and does it freely and uninfluenced) what is respectful and what not?

An example: some Americans of Latin American ancestry (the term I consider appropriate for the so called "Latinos" or "Hispanics") are starting to do some noise for mariachi costumes, i.e. sombrero, fake mustache, poncho, etc.

O ...[text shortened]... nd shout if, let's say, in London there is a parade of English sporting sombreros and mustaches?
    The black family who were local would have that right, but weren't complaining, although didn't feel comfortable about joining in either. Most of the people getting wound up about it were (white) politicians and media types.
    ... if, let's say, in London there is a parade of English sporting sombreros and mustaches?
    That would be quite strange behaviour.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jun '14 23:421 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 00:11
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Shut up, woman.

😵
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 00:18
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    The media asked them, they had a first class opportunity. The general atmosphere in the village was fine, it was just that one day. What I wondered about was the assumption that the representation was of black people. It would help if I could remember the name of the village, I tried to find the story, but couldn't think of specific enough search terms that returned anything relevant.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 02:37

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Jun '14 02:446 edits
    I agree with you.

O ...[text shortened]... nd shout if, let's say, in London there is a parade of English sporting sombreros and mustaches?
    Just because you're not Hispanic doesn't mean that actual Hispanics can't use the term.

By the way, sombreros are Mexican. Why would an Argentinian Hispano or Brazilian Latino care about sombreros? Not everyone with Latin American ancestry is a Mexican...if anybody should know this, it's you.

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION
    Segment from History of the World Part 1

YouTube
    http://otherside.junik.lv/pages/inquisition.html

The Inquisition (Let's begin)
    The Inquisition (Look out sin)
    We have a mission to convert the Jews (Jew, Jew, Jew, Jew, Jew, Jew, Jew)
    We're gonna teach them wrong from right.
    We're gonna help them see the light
    and make an offer that they can't refuse. (That those Jews just can't refuse)
    Confess, don't be boring.
    Say yes, don't be dull.
    A fact you're ignoring:
    It's better to lose your skull cap than your skull (or your govalt!)
    The Inquisition (what a show)
    The Inquistion (here we go)
    We know you're wishin' that we'd go away.
    But the Inquisition's here and it's here to stay!

"I was sitting in a temple. I was minding my own business.
    I was listening to a lovely Hebrew mass.
    Then these Papus persons plungered and they throw me in a dungeon and they shove a red hot poker up my a*.
    Is that considerate? Is that polite?
    And not a tube of Preperation H in sight!"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree