1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 02:43
    Tom Mulcair continue on as the leader of the NDP?
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 02:57
    great big stees stop his pitiful cry for attention?
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 03:06
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    great big stees stop his pitiful cry for attention?
    I, sir or madame, am simply trying to get some input from my fellow Canadians concerning Canadian Issues. If you are not Canadian, or are not familiar with the Canadian issues, please don't respond.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 03:39
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Tom Mulcair continue on as the leader of the NDP?
    As far as I know, he hasn't done anything wrong, so I believe it is up to him and the majority of the voters.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 11:29
    I, sir or madame, am simply trying to get some input from my fellow Canadians concerning Canadian Issues. If you are not Canadian, or are not familiar with the Canadian issues, please don't respond.
    What about the issue of Resident Schools, forcing 5 year old children from the arms of their parents for those first nation people to be forced to attend western education and beaten for daring to speak their native language? Seems like that should be a major issue.

I hear the leaders say, we apologize but for 100 years that went on with entire generations having undergone cultural genocide.

I was almost crying hearing some of the people describe the conditions in those schools, underfed kids, shivering at night because they had only thin blankets, and sexual and physical abuse going on for decades.

You don't think of THAT as an issue do you?
  6. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 11:37
    Bill and Hillary Clinton keep denying he had a baby with an african american prostitute?
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 14:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What about the issue of Resident Schools, forcing 5 year old children from the arms of their parents for those first nation people to be forced to attend western education and beaten for daring to speak their native language? Seems like that should be a major issue.

I hear the leaders say, we apologize but for 100 years that went on with entire generatio ...[text shortened]... d sexual and physical abuse going on for decades.

You don't think of THAT as an issue do you?
    That, sir, was a horrible situation we Canadians put our first nations people through and we will never be able to amply "repay" them for that. As a Canadian I feel nothing but shame for what the churches and our then government did. They, the first nations people are still often thought of as second class citizens.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 16:503 edits
    That, sir, was a horrible situation we Canadians put our first nations people through and we will never be able to amply "repay" them for that. As a Canadian I feel nothing but shame for what the churches and our then government did. They, the first nations people are still often thought of as second class citizens.
    The US and Australia and New Zealand also have a lot to answer for in the same regard. I think all of those countries tried that but I don't think they went on for 100 years like Canada. Could be wrong.

Found this site comparing Australia to Canada.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/UWSLRev/2002/2.html

The bottom line was both countries caused a lot of trauma to the indigenous tribes. Not that we in the US are standing on some high moral ground here.

Did you catch the CBC broadcast about the issue? I heard it just yesterday on XM radio on my commute going home. I think it was Canada 2.

BTW, on another note, have you ever listened to 'Deep Roots, Tom Power, on CBC?

I heard an ad for his show, would love to find it, if it ever comes to XM, my only way to listen to CBC to and from work.

I did find a folk show once, the guy said (don't remember his name) he was on monday mornings, like 4 AM or so but next monday, no dice. Not sure if that was Tom Powers or not.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Jan '16 17:211 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The US and Australia and New Zealand also have a lot to answer for in the same regard. I think all of those countries tried that but I don't think they went on for 100 years like Canada. Could be wrong.

Found this site comparing Australia to Canada.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/UWSLRev/2002/2.html

The bottom line was both countries caused ...[text shortened]... nday mornings, like 4 AM or so but next monday, no dice. Not sure if that was Tom Powers or not.
    Can anyone name a place on earth where at some time in the past a conquering foreign power did not abuse the original residents? Perhaps only Antarctica!

Is there any reason that people living today are responsible for those who were there progenitors several centuries ago? Especially if those abuses were corrected several generations ago?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree