Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 21 Sep '09 01:44
    After talking about slavery in the spiritual forum, a question came to mind. How are we to define slavery? After all, are we not all slaves in some form or capacity? What distinguishes one type of slavery from another?
  2. 21 Sep '09 01:47
    Slaves still exist, they are called the working poor. People who work their tails off and still can't afford to live are in my opinion slaves.
  3. 21 Sep '09 01:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    Slaves still exist, they are called the working poor. People who work their tails off and still can't afford to live are in my opinion slaves.
    Is it just the working poor?

Many "rich" people I know spend all their time working. Doctors are a good example. They spend half their lives in school and the other half at work or on call. They have lavish homes but spend little time in them.
  4. 21 Sep '09 01:59
    When you work your tail off and still can't afford to support yourself or your family I think you are a slave.
  5. 21 Sep '09 02:04
    When you work your tail off and still can't afford to support yourself or your family I think you are a slave.
    No arguments there. But at what point are we not slaves? Is it then you can afford to support yourself? If so, do you not have to continue to work either way?
  6. 21 Sep '09 02:12
    I guess free will come into the arguement. If you are forced to do things that, if you had the choice you wouldn't and you have absolutely no choice other than to do them you could be considered a slave.
  7. 21 Sep '09 02:15 / 1 edit
    I guess free will come into the arguement. If you are forced to do things that, if you had the choice you wouldn't and you have absolutely no choice other than to do them you could be considered a slave.
    But who can force you to do anything? What you are really asking is to what degree are you being manipulated to do something?
  8. 21 Sep '09 02:18
    Not being a slave implies that you have the freedom to make your own choices without the overbearing influence of others. Provided that those choices don't violate the basic human dignity of others.
  9. 21 Sep '09 02:21
    Not being a slave implies that you have the freedom to make your own choices without the overbearing influence of others. Provided that those choices don't violate the basic human dignity of others.
    So at what point do you draw the line between overbearing and not overbearing? Is it when your life hinges in the balance? Is it when you financial welfare hinges in the balance etc?
  10. 21 Sep '09 02:24
    It is a very interesting discussion. Maybe because everybody has to do "something" we are all slaves. The question is, to who or what?
  11. 21 Sep '09 02:26 / 1 edit
    It is a very interesting discussion. Maybe because everybody has to do "something" we are all slaves. The question is, to who or what?
    BINGO!!

So what is the socially acceptable form of slavery? I think that is the question.
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Sep '09 02:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    After talking about slavery in the spiritual forum, a question came to mind. How are we to define slavery? After all, are we not all slaves in some form or capacity? What distinguishes one type of slavery from another?
    Debt. Mortgages.

Unwanted or restrictive emotional obligations.

Addictions.

Intellectual slavery: ideological obsession or narrowmindedness.
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    21 Sep '09 02:55
    My Constitutional Law professor defined slavery as:

The complete subjugation of one person to the will of another.

That's as good a definition as I've seen. When one person completely controls the life of another, that could be considered slavery.
  14. 21 Sep '09 02:58 / 2 edits
    If you don't work you don't eat. I don't consider that as slavery. Other people making more money from a persons labor than the worker does is still not slavery. Working so many hours it domminates ones life to the extent a life outside of work is minimal or nonexistant, for the purpose of making someone else wealthy is getting close. Doing that and still not being able to support ones self let alone a family in modern times is slavery. Add to that the dependency of what crumbs a company that pays minimum wage doles out, to the point of it being used to pay debts incured during hard times, and that would be slavery. In this country a person can look for better work, but when the economy is bad we begin to feel like slaves. I know of legal foreign workers that work 18 hours a day in my little home town with little pay to boot. These guys are family men and send their money south of the border. They willfully put up with conditions that are unacceptable to the average American out of need. They are exploited by christian folk here. I am not taking a shot at christians with that, but of all people I wouldn't expect that. This by the way is at a time our countrymen are out of work. I would say these people are slaves. Even they have the choice to leave though. When push comes to shove and the govt does not let a person quit his job, we will have complete slavery. Could that ever happen? Yes it can. If you get a fine of a huge amount for not having health insurance you would automatically go into debt. After a certain amount of time I would say they could send you to an army work camp. Look them up. See what is in store for us. By the way, you can call me chickin george if it goes down that way.

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r210_35.pdf
  15. 21 Sep '09 03:09 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    My Constitutional Law professor defined slavery as:

The complete subjugation of one person to the will of another.

That's as good a definition as I've seen. When one person completely controls the life of another, that could be considered slavery.
    What about your employer? Have you ever said no to him? If you did, I suppose that would represent the fact that they do not have complete subjugation over your will. Of course, the same could be said for a slave in the south during the 1800's, could it not? The only difference is the slave owner can whip or kill their slave and your boss can fire or penalize you in other ways. Of course, they may choose not to penalize you in any way, that is their choice.