Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 22 Oct '14 08:05
    From the link below:

    "This is an embarrassment for the State of Michigan and democracy," said Daniel Crane, a law professor at the University of Michigan. " When no one was looking, the car dealers slipped language into the bill that would strengthen their case against Tesla. They went to the Governor's office and told his staff they needed this change in order to avoid the result in Massachusetts, where the Supreme Court ruled against them and in favor of Tesla."

    Crane also disputed the governor's assertion that this didn't change existing law.

    "Does the law change anything or not? If it doesn't, why did the car dealers want the changes?" Crane said.

    http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2014/10/17/michigan-verge-banning-tesla-stores/17386251/

    Who is right, Snyder or Crane?
  2. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    23 Oct '14 00:59
    Just another failure of capitalism here in the US.
  3. 23 Oct '14 01:21
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Just another failure of capitalism here in the US.
    Please, not a failure of capitalism, but perhaps a failure of the government regulated business model where large manufacturers hold an advantage over startups by influencing legislation.
  4. 23 Oct '14 01:32
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Please, not a failure of capitalism, but perhaps a failure of the government regulated business model where large manufacturers hold an advantage over startups by influencing legislation.
    Say it isn't so, you mean government and big business are in bed together?

    Damn those Republicrats.
  5. 23 Oct '14 06:13 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Please, not a failure of capitalism, but perhaps a failure of the government regulated business model where large manufacturers hold an advantage over startups by influencing legislation.
    Who gets those government regulations to be what they are, by acting on their freedoms? I think you just answered that.
  6. 23 Oct '14 23:52
    Originally posted by JS357
    Who gets those government regulations to be what they are, by acting on their freedoms? I think you just answered that.
    Is it possible we might have granted Congress too much power by "necessary and proper" and general welfare, etc.? Brutus and anti federalist writer prophetically saw hordes of tax collectors swarming over the land (led by Lois Lerner).
  7. 25 Oct '14 00:54
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Is it possible we might have granted Congress too much power by "necessary and proper" and general welfare, etc.? Brutus and anti federalist writer prophetically saw hordes of tax collectors swarming over the land (led by Lois Lerner).
    Did the citizens grant that power or did the government take it?

    Really who is going to stop the government from doing whatever it wants?
  8. 31 Oct '14 18:24
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Did the citizens grant that power or did the government take it?

    Really who is going to stop the government from doing whatever it wants?
    Wise men wrote warning against the adoption of the Constitution. Most of their warnings are now facts.