1. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 20:01
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    like Walden Two but computerized, so we wouldn't need the bureaucrats.
    interesting, and yet scary. I am voting myself off that island.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 20:40
    like Walden Two but computerized, so we wouldn't need the bureaucrats.
    Twin Oaks Community, in Virginia, and East Wind Community, Missouri, were originally inspired by Walden Two, although they have since dropped that association. After 42 years, they are both still functioning as egalitarian, income sharing communities.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 20:58
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Twin Oaks Community, in Virginia, and East Wind Community, Missouri, were originally inspired by Walden Two, although they have since dropped that association. After 42 years, they are both still functioning as egalitarian, income sharing communities.
    are they doing that polyandrygamy thingy?

i remember reading about a commune that headed from CA to GA many years ago. the article followed up on them. their kids were going without dentistry, nutrition, etc. no one wanted to work hard enough to pay for anything. too MUCH anarchy.
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 20:58
    or maybe it was NC or SC, etc., instead of GA.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Nov '09 22:16
    are they doing that polyandrygamy thingy?

i remember reading about a commune that headed from CA to GA many years ago. the article followed up on them. their kids were going without dentistry, nutrition, etc. no one wanted to work hard enough to pay for anything. too MUCH anarchy.
    Once again, my two examples of anarchist communities in action demonstrate their viability.
  6. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 05:46
    Once again, my two examples of anarchist communities in action demonstrate their viability.
    what?!? structured anarchy!?!

---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Oaks_Community

The community struggled greatly during its first few years, as member turnover was high and the community members didn't earn much income. According to Kinkade, the community avoided the problems stereotypically associated with communes (particularly laziness, freeloading, and excessive lack of structure) by adopting a structured, but flexible, labor system.
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 05:54
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy#Anthropology

The evolutionary psychologist Steven Pinker writes:

Adjudication by an armed authority appears to be the most effective violence-reduction technique ever invented. Though we debate whether tweaks in criminal policy, such as executing murderers versus locking them up for life, can reduce violence by a few percentage points, there can be no debate on the massive effects of having a criminal justice system as opposed to living in anarchy. The shockingly high homicide rates of pre-state societies, with 10 to 60 percent of the men dying at the hands of other men, provide one kind of evidence. Another is the emergence of a violent culture of honor in just about any corner of the world that is beyond the reach of law. ..The generalization that anarchy in the sense of a lack of government leads to anarchy in the sense of violent chaos may seem banal, but it is often over-looked in today's still-romantic climate.[17]
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 05:54
    Pinker must have overlooked the many peaceful anarchist communities in Ciudad Juarez.
  9. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 05:551 edit
    did u ever try living in a commune, rwingett? (pax! no more pokes ...)
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 05:57
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy#Spain_1936

Spain 1936

After General Francisco Franco declared war on the Spanish government in 1936 (Spanish Civil War) the government lost control over much of Spain. Resistance to the rebels was often organized through the confederation of anarcho-syndicalist trade unions, the Confederación Nacional del Trabajo (CNT) and the Iberian Anarchist Federation, the Federación Anarquista Ibérica (FAI). The Spanish Revolution occurred almost immediately after the failed coup of Franco, leading to the formation of worker's collectives all over Republican Spain. This has been hailed as the best example of a functioning anarchist system. Anarchists were instrumental in keeping the country running and holding back the Francoists, until they were attacked by the Republican government and their Communist allies. The government was subsequently defeated by Franco, leading to 40 years of Francoist dictatorship in Spain.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 12:15
    did u ever try living in a commune, rwingett? (pax! no more pokes ...)
    Yes, I did. I lived at East Wind Community for a year. East Wind is the partner community to Twin Oaks.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 12:221 edit

---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Oaks_Community

The community struggled greatly during its first few years, as member turnover was high and the community members didn't earn much income. According to Kinkade, the community avoided the problems stereotypically associated with communes (particularly laziness, freeloading, and excessive lack of structure) by adopting a structured, but flexible, labor system.
    You obviously have no idea what anarchism is.

anarchism: a political theory holding all forms of governmental authority to be unnecessary and undesirable and advocating a society based on voluntary cooperation and free association of individuals and groups.

Anarchism is not synonymous with chaos and lawlesness. An anarchist system can have both order and structure.

Edit: Twin Oaks has been around for 42 years now. They have successfully overcome any growing pains they may have experienced.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 12:23
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy#Spain_1936

Spain 1936

After General Francisco Franco declared war on the Spanish government in 1936 (Spanish Civil War) the government lost control over much of Spain. Resistance to the rebels was often organized through the confederation of anarcho-syndicalist trade unions, the Confederación Nacional del Trabajo ...[text shortened]... nt was subsequently defeated by Franco, leading to 40 years of Francoist dictatorship in Spain.
    You see? That validates everything I've said. A functioning anarchist system.
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 12:26
    Hence you don't understand what anarchy is.
    There is a difference between behavioural anarchy and anarchy as a political system.
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Nov '09 17:24
    You see? That validates everything I've said. A functioning anarchist system.
    who's going to protect them?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree