1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Feb '19 16:451 edit
    I see that Berkeley CA’s tax on added-sugar drinks has been proven effective in reducing consumption of such drinks in Berkeley.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2017/04/18/in-berkeley-soda-tax-is-doing-what-its-supposed-to-do/#7d59df7a2cae

“Berkeley residents cut their consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages by half in the three years after passing a soda tax in 2014, according to a UC Berkeley study that is among the first to document a long-term change in drinking habits from a citywide levy.”

“The study, published Thursday in the American Journal of Public Health, comes as California legislators are considering multiple statewide measures to reduce consumption of sugary beverages, which have been linked to obesity and related chronic health problems like diabetes and heart disease.”
    ““The research certainly suggests that taxes continue to have huge potential as a public health tool,” said Dr. Kristine Madsen, senior author of the paper and faculty director of the Berkeley Food Institute in UC Berkeley’s School of Public Health. “This is a major success in Berkeley””

I don’t think the penny per ounce tax is a big enough financial hit to drive a change of this size. It is the buzz created in what is sometimes called the People’s Republic of Berkeley.
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Feb '19 20:19
    @js357 said
    I see that Berkeley CA’s tax on added-sugar drinks has been proven effective in reducing consumption of such drinks in Berkeley.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2017/04/18/in-berkeley-soda-tax-is-doing-what-its-supposed-to-do/#7d59df7a2cae

“Berkeley residents cut their consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages by half in the three years after passing a soda tax in 2 ...[text shortened]... of this size. It is the buzz created in what is sometimes called the People’s Republic of Berkeley.
    It just does not seem in line with the legalization of gambling, the proliferation of smoking options like JUUL and the legalization of marijuana.
  3. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    22 Feb '19 22:15
    @js357 said

“Berkeley residents cut their consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages by half in the three years after passing a soda tax in 2 ...[text shortened]... of this size. It is the buzz created in what is sometimes called the People’s Republic of Berkeley.
    Tax people for doing bad to deter them, tax people for doing good...

...to deter them.

The one good thing to come from the tax is a smack in the face with a 2x4 of economic reality for the hypocritical control freaks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree