1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 02:271 edit
    Soldiers relive Afghan shooting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/uk_news/8585629.stm

British soldiers wounded when a rogue Afghan policeman opened fire on them have spoken about their ordeal.

The shootings at an Afghan National Police (ANP) checkpoint in Nad-e-Ali, in Helmand Province, on 3 November 2009 left five of their comrades dead.

In Channel 4's Cutting Edge programme, soldiers injured in the attack reveal how they pretended they were dead to escape the rampaging gunman.

Guardsman Steve Loader said: "I've never been so scared in my life."

The troops had been mentoring and living with the Afghan police in a compound.

The members of the 16-man team killed in the attack were Warrant Officer Class 1 Darren Chant, 40, Sgt Matthew Telford, 37, Guardsman Jimmy Major, 18, of the Grenadier Guards, Cpl Steven Boote, 22, and Cpl Nicholas Webster-Smith, 24, of the Royal Military Police.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the killings, although UK military sources have suggested it is more likely that the incident was a one-off and unconnected to insurgents.

L/Cpl Liam Culverhouse, of the Grenadier Guards, said the policeman - who has been named only as Gulbuddin - shot him in both arms and legs as he tried to flee.

"You know it's just luck of the draw, whether it's you or not - and this time I got lucky"

In the documentary, he said: "The guy came and checked that I was dead. I heard his footsteps and I could hear dust being kicked away from his feet.

"And then it stopped, and then it went back, so I don't know what he was doing at the time. I know he must have been checking I was dead because he stood over me."

Describing his thoughts at that moment, he went on: "When I was playing dead, I was thinking he's going to shoot me again, he's going to shoot me again. But he didn't. So, I'm lucky, very lucky indeed."

The interview was recorded just 16 hours after the attack took place, on board an aircraft carrying the six soldiers wounded in the incident back to the UK for treatment.

L/Cpl Culverhouse said he and his colleagues picked up a "funny atmosphere" at the checkpoint prior to the shooting.

However, he said they could not have predicted what happened.

He revealed that the troops were holding a competition to see who could catch the most mice when the policeman opened fire.

"It just all went so fast, and then when he saw me he just basically unloaded a magazine firing at me. He only managed to hit me six times, thank God," he said.

Another of the wounded British soldiers, Guardsman Steve Loader, of the Grenadier Guards, said: "I have never, ever seen so much blood in my entire life, all over the floor, all over me, all over my legs, all over my hands.

"I don't know how we managed to get out of that situation and still manage to be here, all right, talking and walking.

"It's hard to explain, I just really do not know how we did it, someone must have been watching over us."

The soldier said he "thought that was it" and he had "never been so scared".

And Guardsman Pete Lyons, also of the Grenadier Guards, who was shot in the hand, said: "You know it's just luck of the draw, whether it's you or not. And this time I got lucky."

My question is, is it appropriate for military personel representing enlightened advanced nations on the battlefield to engage in cruelty to animals?
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 15:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Soldiers relive Afghan shooting

[quote]British soldiers wounded when a rogue Afghan policeman opened fire on them have spoken about their ordeal.

The shootings at an Afghan National Police (ANP) checkpoint in Nad-e-Ali, in Helmand Province, on 3 November 2009 left five of their comrades dead.

In ...[text shortened]... nations on the battlefield to engage in cruelty to animals?[/b]
    is there a place where it's illegal to catch mice? are you living in such a place?
  3. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 17:35
    Originally posted by FMF

[quote]British soldiers wounded when a rogue Afghan policeman opened fire on them have spoken about their ordeal.

In ...[text shortened]... nations on the battlefield to engage in cruelty to animals?[/b]
    You have spent a lot of time copying this word for word from a newspaper .
    You come up with a question like that !!!
    Have you nothing better to do with your time ?
    I strongly recommend you get a life !!
  4. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:04
    Originally posted by FMF

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Category/64/2/Guns/Rifles/Barrett-Rifles.htm
    At least make it sporting
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 17:00
    Maybe the cop was an undercover PETA agent!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree