1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 11:51
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I remember those days back at the beginning of CNN, watching Crossfire with Buchanan and Braden.

As for Hitch, I did not know much about him and didn't always agree with him, but he was persuasive and provocative, and I would listen intently when he was on.
    He cetainly was a smart arse with a little wit to boot. Kinda like shock jock Howard Stern type of mentality. People love it.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 11:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have no need to "describe a failed life", whodey. If you think Hitchens had a "failed life", that is a matter for you - and for people who agree with you. So? What about my Czech furniture exporter acquaintance? You just going to ignore the question or answer it?
    So I'm the only one that needs to answer questions, and questions about someone I know nothing about to boot?

From my vantage point, worldly success is seen as those who die with the most toys as well as who is the most "happy" and be considered a "decent fellow". Given such a test, Mother "T" would have lived a partially failed life.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 11:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    She was imitating the life of Christ. When did Christ advocate a "political solution" to poverty?
    Have you read anything by Hitchens? What makes you think he was interested in or impressed by whether or not Mother Theresa saw herself as "imitating the life of Christ" or whether he was interested in or impressed bywhat Christ 'advocated politically'? Have you read any Hitchens?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 11:58
    So I'm the only one that needs to answer questions, and questions about someone I know nothing about to boot?
    How then can you describe Hitchens as having "won the prize" for a 'failed life'. What prize is that? Who else have you considered?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 12:051 edit
    As for these dictators, what was she to do? Was she to incite revolution under these dictators? If so, to what end? If that was her reputation she would not be allowed into those countries to help the poor. In addition, those countries where she did incite insurrection would probably end up killing and persecuting them further.
    So her supposed "imitation of Christ" involved her dealing with dictators and not rocking the boat of tyranny and repression. I get that. Personal commitment aside, she had a clear deficit of political courage. She told her poverty stricken followers to endure. That's all her sense of empathy could muster. Endure. Accept. Know your place. You don't have to agree with people who criticize this 'ideology'. But is it not possible for you to defend her ideology without tabloid-esque personal attacks on those who didn't agree with her approach?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 12:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    Have you read anything by Hitchens? What makes you think he was interested in or impressed by whether or not Mother Theresa saw herself as "imitating the life of Christ" or whether he was interested in or impressed bywhat Christ 'advocated politically'? Have you read any Hitchens?
    No I have not. Why don't you tell us what he thought about the life of Christ. He obviously was not too impressed.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 12:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    So her supposed "imitation of Christ" involved her dealing with dictators and not rocking the boat of tyranny and repression. I get that. Personal commitment aside, she had a clear deficit of political courage. She told her poverty stricken followers to endure. That's all her sense of empathy could muster. Endure. Accept. Know your place. You don't have to agree ...[text shortened]... ology without tabloid-esque personal attacks on those who didn't agree with her approach?
    would you say that Christ had a deficit of political courage as well? If so why, or if not, why not?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 13:41
    No I have not. Why don't you tell us what he thought about the life of Christ. He obviously was not too impressed.
    Why don't you just read some Hitchens' writing?

would you say that Christ had a deficit of political courage as well?

To my way of thinking, Christ isn't a "political figure" at all, except in so far as he was somewhat co-opted by murderous fascist dictators in the past, or in so far as priests have been murdered or excommunicated for trying to interpret Christ as a "political figure" in a way that did not suit local vested interests.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 13:481 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why don't you just read some Hitchens' writing?

[b]would you say that Christ had a deficit of political courage as well?

To my way of thinking, Christ isn't a "political figure" at all, except in so far as he was somewhat co-opted by murderous fascist dictators in the past, or in so far as priests have been murdered ...[text shortened]... terpret Christ as a "political figure" in a way that did not suit local vested interests.[/b]
    So Christ was targeted by political figures and sent to the cross by them but was nevertheless apolitical?

Hmm?
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 13:501 edit
    He attacked Mother Teresa for two reasons. He attacked her because of her faith and because she was admired world wide and he knew it would get him some press. Then he turns a blind eye to the failings of people like Marx and Lenin as he elevated them above her for helping the poor? I guess anything for some extra $$$ while praising the Marxist that would ...[text shortened]... t as soon take if from him. We all have failings FMF but Hithchens seems to have won the prize.
    Mother Teresa didn't help the poor. She shamelessly exploited the poor in order to spread her virulent form of Catholic dogma. Hitchens is not the only one to criticize 'the ghoul of Calcutta.' There have been many who dared to look behind her saintly image and find that reality was something quite different.

Having said that, though, Hitchens was my least favorite of the "New Atheist" authors. His turn toward the right was a mark against him, and his endorsement of 'W' in 2004 (however slight) was inexcusable. Conservatives are the greatest threat to mankind, not religion.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 14:00
    So Christ was targeted by political figures and sent to the cross by them but was nevertheless apolitical?

Hmm?
    The redistributional nature of the Kingdom transcends politics because it requires the voluntary participation of its members. It does not have any state apparatus to enforce it. It is Christian anarchism in the Tolstoyan sense.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '11 14:03
    You appear to be talking to yourself or perhaps talking to one of your own straw men. If you think Christ was a "political figure" with "political courage" that's a matter for you.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 17:06
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Mother Teresa didn't help the poor. She shamelessly exploited the poor in order to spread her virulent form of Catholic dogma. Hitchens is not the only one to criticize 'the ghoul of Calcutta.' There have been many who dared to look behind her saintly image and find that reality was something quite different.

Having said that, though, Hitchens was my le ...[text shortened]... slight) was inexcusable. Conservatives are the greatest threat to mankind, not religion.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 17:16
    Originally posted by rwingett
    [Having said that, though, Hitchens was my least favorite of the "New Atheist" authors. His turn toward the right was a mark against him, and his endorsement of 'W' in 2004 (however slight) was inexcusable. Conservatives are the greatest threat to mankind, not religion.[/b]
    I agree with the thrust of this comment but nothing is more conservative than religion, especially 'big' religion, and Hitchen's abhorance of the "islamofascist" entity looks at the difference between Bush and Kerry as trivial. I think he has a point.
  15. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    19 Dec '11 19:062 edits
    If Jesus existed and it is true what they say about him, he was definitely political. He abhored and resented the rich and the establishment, and made a point to preach about it very visibly. And he had political "courage" arguably to the point of being looney, and succeeded in being a martyr.

Moreover, it is hard to deny the arrogance and insidiousness of Mother Teresa and missionaries in general.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree