1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 03:201 edit
    The earth is warming because it was born under a Capricorn moon with a Scorpio rising. It's a wonderful day when a bunch of morons who don't even know the difference between astronomy and astrology dictate the curriculum to our science teachers.

http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2010/Bill.aspx?File=HCR1009P.htm

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the House of Representatives of the Eighty-fifth Legislature of the State of South Dakota, the Senate concurring therein, that the South Dakota Legislature urges that instruction in the public schools relating to global warming include the following:
    (1) That global warming is a scientific theory rather than a proven fact;
    (2) That there are a variety of climatological, meteorological, astrological, thermological, cosmological, and ecological dynamics that can effect world weather phenomena and that the significance and interrelativity of these factors is largely speculative; and
    (3) That the debate on global warming has subsumed political and philosophical viewpoints which have complicated and prejudiced the scientific investigation of global warming phenomena; and
    BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Legislature urges that all instruction on the theory of global warming be appropriate to the age and academic development of the student and to the prevailing classroom circumstances.

Setting aside the fact that it should be "affect" with an A, I would be very interested specific examples of astrological and "thermological" causes of global warming.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/thermological
    No results found for thermological:
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 04:03
    It's so awesome. The competition for my job is a joke!
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 21:46
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    The earth is warming because it was born under a Capricorn moon with a Scorpio rising. It's a wonderful day when a bunch of morons who don't even know the difference between astronomy and astrology dictate the curriculum to our science teachers.

http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/2010/Bill.aspx?File=HCR1009P.htm

[quote]NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT R ...[text shortened]...
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/thermological
    No results found for thermological:
    NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that legislative bodies will focus entirely on the job of passing actual legislation, and will NO LONGER waste their taxpayer funded time and effort on futile "resolutions" that do nothing more than URGE people to do something - as if doing this would be even slightly more useful than using astrology.
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 23:15
    NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the legislature should use words that are actually word when they're trying to sound all scientific - and not made-up words like "interrelativity" or "thermological"
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 23:33
    NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the legislature should use words that are actually word when they're trying to sound all scientific - and not made-up words like "interrelativity" or "thermological"
    Haven't you ever heard of Einstein's astrological theory of thermological interrelativity?
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 01:411 edit
    Looks like that's a proposed bill, not a passed bill. Anything can be proposed.

I'm more concerned by the misuse of "effect" and making up words like interrelativity than I am about what I think was clearly a typo. If it had referenced astronomy AND astrology, I'd say they meant astrology. which would be exceptionally embarrassing. As it is, it looks like a mere typo.
  7. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 06:19
    what's clobal warming??
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 13:391 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Looks like that's a proposed bill, not a passed bill. Anything can be proposed.

I'm more concerned by the misuse of "effect" and making up words like interrelativity than I am about what I think was clearly a typo. If it had referenced astronomy AND astrology, I'd say they meant astrology. which would be exceptionally embarrassing. As it is, it looks like a mere typo.
    I just can't see how a slip of the fingers can make you type astrology instead of astronomy. Surely they meant astronomy.

Also, you'll be happy to know... IT PASSED. This means the South Dakota legislature read it, voted on it and passed it.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 13:42
    I guess that means it's time for the South Dakota legislature to collectively resign.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 00:041 edit
    I just can't see how a slip of the fingers can make you type astrology instead of astronomy. Surely they meant astronomy.

Also, you'll be happy to know... IT PASSED. This means the South Dakota legislature read it, voted on it and passed it.
    Did it pass during the winter?

If so, I don't blame them. How depressing must it be to face day after day after day of substantially below zero (Fahrenheit, for those of you in the rest of the World) temps and limitless snowfall?

In that environment, who has time to worry about whether they got the right ology (or onomy, as the case may be)?
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 00:06
    Oh, and don't you mean...

Surely they meant astrology

?

😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree