Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    16 May '14 02:33
    The Russkies aren't going to fly Americans up to the Space Station any more and since the.guvamint h8rs have gutted Uncle Sams revenue source NASA can't get up there any more. GJ Teabaggers.
  2. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    16 May '14 03:10
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The Russkies aren't going to fly Americans up to the Space Station any more and since the.guvamint h8rs have gutted Uncle Sams revenue source NASA can't get up there any more. GJ Teabaggers.
    Not such a bad thing. Exploring space sounds nice, but there is a hefty price attached. I'm sure the USA and Russia will start working together again in once this little spat over the Ukraine is finished.

    I would also point out that if America wants these programs funded, the money comes from TAX revenue. This might be something to remember the next time some conservative "tax cutter" wants to get reelected.
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    16 May '14 03:19
    They can throw asteroids at is from up there. I don't want to be hit with a Perun Shot (that's Russian for Thor Shot, look it up). All the power of a nuke with no radiation. BOOM
  4. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    16 May '14 03:30
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    They can throw asteroids at is from up there. I don't want to be hit with a Perun Shot (that's Russian for Thor Shot, look it up). All the power of a nuke with no radiation. BOOM
    That's not going to happen. Putin knows America still has more than enough firepower in their nuke silos to turn Russia into a distant memory.

    Perhaps spending some of that money to rebuild some of these crumbling roads and bridges would not be a bad alternative.
  5. 16 May '14 16:21
    Originally posted by bill718
    That's not going to happen. Putin knows America still has more than enough firepower in their nuke silos to turn Russia into a distant memory.

    Perhaps spending some of that money to rebuild some of these crumbling roads and bridges would not be a bad alternative.
    Has it occurred to either of you that the United States is $17 trillion dollars in debt? More by now.
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    16 May '14 16:35
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Has it occurred to either of you that the United States is $17 trillion dollars in debt? More by now.
    Try reading my post again. You might notice the part about Teabaggers cutting revenue to the government this time.
  7. 16 May '14 17:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Has it occurred to either of you that the United States is $17 trillion dollars in debt? More by now.
    There's an interesting chart at

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileublicDebtTriade.PNG

    (edit: we need a "turn off smileys" button)

    which is pointed to from

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_debt#By_country

    It seems to be saying that as a % of GDP, the US change in public debt has been flat for a while. Japan is off the tracks. Granted, the chart is through 2008, not more recently.
  8. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    16 May '14 17:06
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Has it occurred to either of you that the United States is $17 trillion dollars in debt? More by now.
    All the more reason to trim the space budget. Perhaps a few billion less tax dollars given away to our beloved oil companies would not be a bad idea either.
  9. 17 May '14 21:40
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The Russkies aren't going to fly Americans up to the Space Station any more and since the.guvamint h8rs have gutted Uncle Sams revenue source NASA can't get up there any more. GJ Teabaggers.
    Years ago we ran NASA and a balanced or nearly balanced budget. Teabaggers haven't anything to do with our going off the tracks, which has been ongoing regardless of the party in power.
  10. 17 May '14 21:41
    Originally posted by bill718
    All the more reason to trim the space budget. Perhaps a few billion less tax dollars given away to our beloved oil companies would not be a bad idea either.
    If we can't afford to do it, DON'T.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    17 May '14 22:58
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Years ago we ran NASA and a balanced or nearly balanced budget. Teabaggers haven't anything to do with our going off the tracks, which has been ongoing regardless of the party in power.
    Years ago there were no Teabaggers and the taxes were higher on the rich.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    17 May '14 23:07
    Originally posted by normbenign
    If we can't afford to do it, DON'T.
    Let's hope Russia doesn't withdraw from the treaty that bans space weaponization.
  13. 18 May '14 18:43
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Let's hope Russia doesn't withdraw from the treaty that bans space weaponization.
    Do you think Russia, or any other nation really adheres to treaties it signs?
  14. 18 May '14 18:48
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Do you think Russia, or any other nation really adheres to treaties it signs?
    When it's in the country's perceived interests.
  15. 19 May '14 02:16
    Originally posted by JS357
    There's an interesting chart at

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileublicDebtTriade.PNG

    (edit: we need a "turn off smileys" button)

    which is pointed to from

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_debt#By_country

    It seems to be saying that as a % of GDP, the US change in public debt has been flat for a while. Japan is off the tracks. Granted, the chart is through 2008, not more recently.
    That used to be a Reagan era Republican argument, that we could grow ourselves out of debt. That is like a family piling on credit card debt, 2nd mortgages, and then the real estate market blows up.

    BTW the smiley's are just text, and can be deleted as such.