1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '16 12:44
    It's monday again so you get another dose of John Oliver.

YouTube

Summed up: Special districts take your money with little to no oversight and are almost impossible to destroy.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Mar '16 13:49
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    It's monday again so you get another dose of John Oliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3saU5racsGE

Summed up: Special districts take your money with little to no oversight and are almost impossible to destroy.
    Special districts are creatures of state government. The state oversees them and they are accountable to the same people to whom the state government is accountable. If the state doesn't like them, the state is empowered to modify them or shut them down. They're not almost impossible to destroy. The state legislature can destroy them with one fell swoop.

Outside of major cities, public schools are run in districts. While I'm sure some districts run them badly, on the whole.they don't run any less efficiently than other government operations.

In short, I see this as a non-story.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '16 15:41
    Originally posted by sh76
    Special districts are creatures of state government. The state oversees them and they are accountable to the same people to whom the state government is accountable. If the state doesn't like them, the state is empowered to modify them or shut them down. They're not almost impossible to destroy. The state legislature can destroy them with one fell swoop.

Out ...[text shortened]... n any less efficiently than other government operations.

oh, bother. i forgot to put "some" in bold letters. preferably underlined and with a big font so you naturally assumed i meant all of them.

yes, it is my mistake.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '16 15:56

Out ...[text shortened]... n any less efficiently than other government operations.

"They're not almost impossible to destroy. The state legislature can destroy them with one fell swoop."
    12:48 , quote from that Kentucky auditor: "... many types of districts may continue to exist because there is not a process for them to be dissolved".

and as an example, here is a list of districts in texas, among which some that have no dissolution process defined.

http://www.texastransparency.org/Special_Features/Reports/pdf/96-1722_Provisions.pdf

if i were a gambling man, i would wager your next reply would be about how "almost impossible to dissolve" isn't equivalent to "no process for dissolution exists" and i should be ashamed for misusing that quote.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '16 15:57

"The state oversees them and they are accountable to the same people to whom the state government is accountable. "
    the piece shows exactly how accountable they are.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    07 Mar '16 21:26
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    "The state oversees them and they are accountable to the same people to whom the state government is accountable. "
    the piece shows exactly how accountable they are.
    Instead of griping about them on the internet, get started personally taking action to support or limit them.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '16 23:35
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Instead of griping about them on the internet, get started personally taking action to support or limit them.
    what a useless statement. this applies to absolutely every topic ever made on every forum.

do try to contribute to the subject, will you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree