1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    28 May '09 18:48
    Not long ago Democrats in Congress were whining about George W Bush's pick for Supreme Court justice. Several high ranking Republicans told the Democrats "If you want greater say in a Supreme court pick, start winning elections". I would remind Republicans of this now. Like it or not, President Obama's pick for the high court WILL stand, Republicans don't have the votes to deny her. So Republicans, heed the words of your own lawmakers: If you want greater say in a Supreme court pick, start winning elections!...and have a nice day.😏
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 May '09 18:551 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    Not long ago Democrats in Congress were whining about George W Bush's pick for Supreme Court justice. Several high ranking Republicans told the Democrats "If you want greater say in a Supreme court pick, start winning elections". I would remind Republicans of this now. Like it or not, President Obama's pick for the high court WILL stand, Republicans don't ha ...[text shortened]... want greater say in a Supreme court pick, start winning elections!...and have a nice day.😏
    Do you really think the Republicans care? I don't think they do. The only ones that care are the conservatives that make up the Republican base, but who cares abou them? The Republicans don't.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    28 May '09 19:421 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Do you really think the Republicans care? I don't think they do. The only ones that care are the conservatives that make up the Republican base, but who cares abou them? The Republicans don't.
    as bill718 stated --- if Republicans no longer care about their "conservative base", it's because Republicans want to start winning elections again.

The "conservative base" needs to come up with a message that will appeal to many who are currently outside that base. They need to find ways to persuade the skeptics, the moderates, and even some liberals to join their cause.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 May '09 21:10
    Originally posted by bill718
    Not long ago Democrats in Congress were whining about George W Bush's pick for Supreme Court justice. Several high ranking Republicans told the Democrats "If you want greater say in a Supreme court pick, start winning elections". I would remind Republicans of this now. Like it or not, President Obama's pick for the high court WILL stand, Republicans don't ha ...[text shortened]... want greater say in a Supreme court pick, start winning elections!...and have a nice day.😏
    I agree. The Dems were wrong to whine about Roberts' conservative views (same for Alito) and IF the GOP Senators strongly oppose Sotomayor (assuming nothing really bad comes out about her between now and the vote), then they'll be wrong as well.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 May '09 21:241 edit
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    as bill718 stated --- if Republicans no longer care about their "conservative base", it's because Republicans want to start winning elections again.

The "conservative base" needs to come up with a message that will appeal to many who are currently outside that base. They need to find ways to persuade the skeptics, the moderates, and even some liberals to join their cause.
    Politicians change their core values and beliefs to win elections, not the populace. Its because they are power hungry leaches without souls. So if the Republicans feel it is time to abandon them to win elections, so be it. Let them leave them behind and let yet another disinfranchized segment of society emerge.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree