1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 08:35
    Does this article make a good point?

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/43810-steel-tariffs-and-doctors-a-teachable-moment
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 14:56
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    Does this article make a good point?

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/43810-steel-tariffs-and-doctors-a-teachable-moment
    No, because imported steel is of the same quality as exported steel. A doctor trained in the United States is probably not the same as a foreign doctor. If doctors were equivalent we certainly should take advantage of cheaper prices and import services at cheaper prices.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 14:58
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    No, because imported steel is of the same quality as exported steel. A doctor trained in the United States is probably not the same as a foreign doctor. If doctors were equivalent we certainly should take advantage of cheaper prices and import services at cheaper prices.
    Here is an excerpt from the article:

"While it is reasonable to have high standards to ensure that the people who practice medicine are competent, it is absurd to imagine that the only way a person can become a competent doctor is by completing a US residency program. There is a considerable amount of research showing that other wealthy countries have comparable outcomes, indicating that their training is as good as ours, at least from the standpoint of treating patients."
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Mar '18 15:33
    Here is an excerpt from the article:

"While it is reasonable to have high standards to ensure that the people who practice medicine are competent, it is absurd to imagine that the only way a person can become a competent doctor is by completing a US residency program. There is a considerable amount of research showing that other wealthy countries hav ...[text shortened]... ting that their training is as good as ours, at least from the standpoint of treating patients."
    The US certainly does not believe foreign doctors are equivalent to ours. If they aren't then perhaps foreign doctors aren't adequate substitutes. If goods are equivalent then we certainly shouldn't have tariffs as in all contexts it makes us pay more for the same goods/ services.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 07:00
    The US certainly does not believe foreign doctors are equivalent to ours. If they aren't then perhaps foreign doctors aren't adequate substitutes. If goods are equivalent then we certainly shouldn't have tariffs as in all contexts it makes us pay more for the same goods/ services.
    A US residency program will make them good doctors? Please explain.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 12:37
    A US residency program will make them good doctors? Please explain.
    It's not the residency of the doctors. It's the training of the doctors.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 01:17
    It's not the residency of the doctors. It's the training of the doctors.
    Tell that to our government. They only require residency.
  8. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 05:11
    Been welding steel plate and pipe for over 40 yrs. You're talking out your arse. Big diff in how steel is manufactured.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 13:55
    Originally posted by @kquinn909
    Been welding steel plate and pipe for over 40 yrs. You're talking out your arse. Big diff in how steel is manufactured.
    You are claiming to be an expert because you are a welder? LOL!
    I work with barbed wire fence. Does that make me an expert on trade? LOL!
  10. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 14:08
    You are claiming to be an expert because you are a welder? LOL!
    I work with barbed wire fence. Does that make me an expert on trade? LOL!
    Steel quality varies, you don't need to be a self declared expert to know it, but if you'd handled enough of it you would know too.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 14:40
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    Steel quality varies, you don't need to be a self declared expert to know it, but if you'd handled enough of it you would know too.
    I'm sure manufacturers know about it well. Anybody would buy the best quality they can for the price. What is your point?
    Do you have a point at all?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree