The Biden rule

Standard memberRemoved
Debates 02 Feb '17 14:08
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 14:08
    The New York Times was called out online for an op-ed bemoaning Republicans taking Barack Obama’s Supreme Court seat, reminding the editorial board it was not stolen, it was “Bidened.”

Following the death of Antonin Scalia, video quickly surfaced of then Sen. Joe Biden in July 1992, during the administration of President George H.W. Bush, arguing that it would be unfair to a Supreme Court nominee and the process itself to consider a potential justice to the high court during the presidential election season. Incidentally, Bill Clinton was running against Bush that year.

“It would be our pragmatic conclusion that once the political season is underway, and it is, action on a Supreme Court nomination must be put off until after the election campaign is over,” Biden said.

http://www.westernjournalism.com/new-york-times-called-out-for-forgetting-biden-rule-in-temper-tantrum-over-gorsuch-nomination/
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 14:57
    Biden was wrong, and this rightly came back to bite him in the ass years later.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 19:11
    Originally posted by vivify
    Biden was wrong, and this rightly came back to bite him in the ass years later.
    I never heard Democrats say he was wrong. You may be the first.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Feb '17 20:081 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    The New York Times was called out online for an op-ed bemoaning Republicans taking Barack Obama’s Supreme Court seat, reminding the editorial board it was not stolen, it was “Bidened.”

Following the death of Antonin Scalia, video quickly surfaced of then Sen. Joe Biden in July 1992, during the administration of President George H.W. Bush, arguing that ...[text shortened]... m/new-york-times-called-out-for-forgetting-biden-rule-in-temper-tantrum-over-gorsuch-nomination/
    Okay, since you're such a genius, can you tell me who was nominated by Papa Bush that year, and then had the Senate ignore his confirmation until a left-leaning justice could be elected?

The answer is NO ONE. Biden was speaking in the abstract. I notice that Clarence Thomas (a Bush nominee) had no problem getting confirmed on October 15, 1991, which is within the "election campaign".

Don't even try the time-honored Republican tactic of shoving this off on the Democrats. There is no equivalency here, AS USUAL.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree