1. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 15:07
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, if you look at the entire lifetime of the animal, I'm not so sure. A bull has to be big, healthy and impressive, so it needs to be taken care of quite well. I don't know what living conditions are like for them prior to their ceremonial killing, but I'd hazard a guess they are better than those of the average livestock.
    That's an argument in favour of free range and organic meat, or game, rather than for vegetarianism.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 15:19
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    That's an argument in favour of free range and organic meat, or game, rather than for vegetarianism.
    I eat meat almost daily, I'm just saying it's rather hypocritical to criticize bull fighting but ignore the living conditions of livestock.
  3. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 15:26
    I eat meat almost daily, I'm just saying it's rather hypocritical to criticize bull fighting but ignore the living conditions of livestock.
    And you're probably right.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 15:31
    just because there are children living on the streets doesn't mean it's hypocritical to criticize that some people live in mud huts.

if you go the route of this fallacy you will either have to fix all the evil in the world at one time or never get anything fixed at all.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 16:13
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    just because there are children living on the streets doesn't mean it's hypocritical to criticize that some people live in mud huts.

if you go the route of this fallacy you will either have to fix all the evil in the world at one time or never get anything fixed at all.
    I'm not defending bull fighting, just pointing out that it's a rather odd priority if you are concerned about animal welfare. It's already getting increasingly unpopular in Spain, anyway.
  6. Pepperland
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 17:56
    How is it any more barbaric than killing and eating animals?
    Oh, how delightful it is to have KN once again enlighten us with such ridiculous comparisons. Do you really believe that killing animals for human consumption is comparable to the slow, pointless and torturous death of bulls?
    please, wise up.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 21:26
    I'm not defending bull fighting, just pointing out that it's a rather odd priority if you are concerned about animal welfare. It's already getting increasingly unpopular in Spain, anyway.
    It's not a matter of animal welfare. Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least when an animal dies to serve a purpose that's beneficial to humans.

What does bother me is when animals are made to suffer needlessly. Animals are living things with brains that feel pain.

Now, the mean industry does cause animals pain and that should be minimized. But bullfighting is designed to cause the bull torment and anguish. With meat, it's an unfortunate byproduct that can and should be avoided. There's a difference.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 10:23
    Originally posted by sh76
    It's not a matter of animal welfare. Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least when an animal dies to serve a purpose that's beneficial to humans.

What does bother me is when animals are made to suffer needlessly. Animals are living things with brains that feel pain.

Now, the mean industry does cause animals pain and that should be minimized. But bul ...[text shortened]... h meat, it's an unfortunate byproduct that can and should be avoided. There's a difference.
    So what is the difference? In both cases animals suffer, and in both cases it is needless.
  9. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 12:181 edit
    So what is the difference? In both cases animals suffer, and in both cases it is needless.
    Really no difference?
    So which sort of death would you personally opt for:-
    (a)To be stunnned into insensibilty before despatch.
    (b)To be tormented by having darts implanted in you neck and shoulders, a lance embeded in your back so that you could not lift your head without severe pain, and a maniac dressed up clown, who dare not confront you prior to heving a gang of others to weaken you, polish you off.

Come on ,just answer without equivocation.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 15:41
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    Really no difference?
    So which sort of death would you personally opt for:-
    (a)To be stunnned into insensibilty before despatch.
    (b)To be tormented by having darts implanted in you neck and shoulders, a lance embeded in your back so that you could not lift your head without severe pain, and a maniac dressed up clown, who dare not confront you pr ...[text shortened]... ng a gang of others to weaken you, polish you off.

Come on ,just answer without equivocation.
    As I explained before, it's not just about death but also about living conditions during the animal's life. If those conditions are significantly better for fighting bulls one might even argue that bull fighting is more humane than killing animals for food, though not necessarily the most humane solution.
  11. Pepperland
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 17:12
    As I explained before, it's not just about death but also about living conditions during the animal's life. If those conditions are significantly better for fighting bulls one might even argue that bull fighting is more humane than killing animals for food, though not necessarily the most humane solution.
    So in other words you're dodging the question.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree