1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    09 May '14 02:16
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Fear not Norm. Our Cameron is a very wealthy Tory git who will cheerfully wave through the sale of Britain's industrial and research base to an American led bunch of corporate thieves because it will make fat bonuses in the city of London, where his own family wealth lies (though naturally it is held in the Cayman Islands for tax purposes). The "march of the makers" he calls it - a bit like the reputed march of lemmings off a cliff into the sea.
    Your tone seems to indicate that successful folks ought to just roll over and happily give their earnings to the slovenly, lazy and immoral who happen to be poor.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 May '14 06:09
    Originally posted by normbenign
    US corporate taxes are among the highest in the world, so it is advantageous that their income stream be counted on foreign soil where the corporate rate isn't so punitive, or can be avoided altogether.
    The tax thing is immoral. Many of these big Pharma companies pay no tax in the UK as they have an army of corporate tax lawyers who manoeuvre the fiscal streams in such a way that they don't have to. Your comment about it being "advantageous" to them is I trust not your personal opinion but more reflective of the company's.

My OP is not ignorant of these immoral tax strategies, but I'm more concerned with the impact on competitive innovation.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 May '14 00:40
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The tax thing is immoral. Many of these big Pharma companies pay no tax in the UK as they have an army of corporate tax lawyers who manoeuvre the fiscal streams in such a way that they don't have to. Your comment about it being "advantageous" to them is I trust not your personal opinion but more reflective of the company's.

My OP is not ignorant of these immoral tax strategies, but I'm more concerned with the impact on competitive innovation.
    The Mercantile system was built by the British empire, and was all about contriving advantage for Britain, and supposedly for British workers. Today's corporatism is very much like the old Mercantile system, with government's attempting to curry favor, and more business to their shores.

One of the real reasons for decrepit morals in law, is the lack of morality in legislators, and their recognition that corporations can be extorted of large sums of money to get favorable legislation, and to prevent unfavorable legislation.

The efforts of large corporate entities to advantage themselves is the result of legislators and legislation attempting to manipulate things, or to extort corporations into doing things in a way that those legislators envision as best.

It is like the small merchant in NY's Little Italy who paid the mob for protection.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 May '14 02:14
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Fear not Norm. Our Cameron is a very wealthy Tory git who will cheerfully wave through the sale of Britain's industrial and research base to an American led bunch of corporate thieves because it will make fat bonuses in the city of London, where his own family wealth lies (though naturally it is held in the Cayman Islands for tax purposes). The "march of the makers" he calls it - a bit like the reputed march of lemmings off a cliff into the sea.
    how does being wealthy or being a member of the Conservative party make a person a "git"?

I think the government are trying to discourage the Pfizer take over of Astra.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 May '14 02:22
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The Mercantile system was built by the British empire, and was all about contriving advantage for Britain, and supposedly for British workers. Today's corporatism is very much like the old Mercantile system, with government's attempting to curry favor, and more business to their shores.

One of the real reasons for decrepit morals in law, is the lack o ...[text shortened]... as best.

It is like the small merchant in NY's Little Italy who paid the mob for protection.
    I don't know enough about this to comment and it's not really connected to the OP, however you make what you are saying sound rather conspiratorial by talking about a lack of morality in law. I actually think morality has not place in corporate economics, although many big mult-nats try to pretend it does.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree