1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Apr '11 13:32
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    What is the mechanism of hatred?
    Isn't hatred generally a long drink of fear with a shot of "no solution available" thrown in?
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Apr '11 13:45
    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/01/the-love-hate-hormone-ingroupoutgroup-wars-and-the-power-of-culture/
    Lots of over-interpretation going on there. As usual, the scientific reporter feels at liberty to claim a lot more than the scientists he's reporting on.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Apr '11 13:54
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Lots of over-interpretation going on there. As usual, the scientific reporter feels at liberty to claim a lot more than the scientists he's reporting on.
    That's just how science bubbles over into politics. Nothing to be done, I fear. But at least the article indicates that oxytocin may be implicated in 'love' and 'hate' and of course there's the in/outgroup thing which could just possibly be relevant to this topic. Also, perhaps, it shows that the biology of love/hate is not fully understood, leaving those who argue in terms of 'religions of hate' on shaky ground.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Apr '11 14:211 edit
    That's just how science bubbles over into politics. Nothing to be done, I fear. But at least the article indicates that oxytocin may be implicated in 'love' and 'hate' and of course there's the in/outgroup thing which could just possibly be relevant to this topic. Also, perhaps, it shows that the biology of love/hate is not fully understood, leaving those who argue in terms of 'religions of hate' on shaky ground.
    But none of that excuses people like Trump, does it?

Unless you're a strict adherent to genetic determinism (which seems a pretty outdated view) then the physiology of hate has little bearing on whether we should accept such extreme positions.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Apr '11 14:251 edit
    But none of that excuses people like Trump, does it?
    Doesn't excuse him -- sheds light on his methods.

I'm not sure it's a question of acceptance -- my response to Trump is visceral. Debate him? It'd be like debating whodey.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '11 16:24
    How does a body hate?
    It uses the "hate" chemicals that connect to the "hate" receptors and vaddabing!!
  7. Pepperland
    Moves
    04 Apr '11 18:38
    That's a bit delusional. How can they hate something they don't think exists? Do you hate various supernatural beings?
    These are certainly questions which KN may have failed to consider in his rush to provide the thread with a healthy dose of his idiosyncratically inane and frivolous denunciations of religion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree