1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 08:24
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung on the Japanese Bow thread
    Another example of the subtleties of dominance-submission relationships is the subtle disrespect the USMC has been showing Obama. They fulfill all requirements but visibly refrain from honoring him in any way unnecessary - they don't bother to get up to listen to him talk about Afghanistan, they don't get up when he enters the room, etc.

http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/2008/12/obama-visits-marines-met-with-silence/

http://www.myantiwar.org/view/192433.html

Thanks AThousandYoung, it's a very though provoking point that you make. Worth its own weight in Thread I reckon.

Here is the text from the first of these links:

President-elect Obama stopped by the Marine Corps base in Hawaii Kaneche Bay where servicemen and -women were eating Christmas dinner in Kailua Thursday evening.

“Just wanted to say hi, hey guys,” Obama said as he walked into the Anderson dining hall which was decked out in Christmas decorations.

The diners represented seven military units — Marine and Navy — some of whom were joined by their families for Christmas dinner.

As Obama entered the room, it was absent of the regular fanfare of cheering and clapping. The diners were polite, staying seated at their respective tables and waited for the president-elect to come to them to stand up.

Is the behaviour of these servicemen and women to be applauded, deplored or ignored?
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 08:311 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Another example of the subtleties of dominance-submission relationships is the subtle disrespect the USMC has been showing Obama. They fulfill all requirements but visibly refrain from honoring him in any way unnecessary - they don't bother to get up to listen to him talk about Afghanista uote]

Is the behaviour of these servicemen and women to be applauded, deplored or ignored?
    [/b]Anyone dumb enough to serve in an army is probably not even aware that their president was in the room.

However, I wouldn't stand, applaud or even bother to look up if Jan-Peter Balkenende walked into my room.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 08:38
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Anyone dumb enough to serve in an army is probably not even aware that their president was in the room.
    Note: He was President-Elect in December 2008 and not President yet.
  4. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 09:001 edit
    Anyone dumb enough to serve in an army is probably not even aware that their president was in the room.

However, I wouldn't stand, applaud or even bother to look up if Jan-Peter Balkenende walked into my room.[/b]
    Is that your actual photo? Because you sound like a moron!
    ( no its not,I have already seen you. your avatar is better,stick w/that)

Pòg mo thòin 🙂
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 10:37
    Originally posted by utherpendragon

[b] Pòg mo thòin
    🙂[/b]
    Zuig mijn anus.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 10:50
    Zuig mijn anus.
    Hahaha

Rec'd

I'm sure he'd love to do that, shav 😵
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 11:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    Note: He was President-Elect in December 2008 and not President yet.
    Actually I missed that fact. Good for you for pointing it out.
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    09 Dec '09 17:34
    so we need a later sample point.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 01:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Another example of the subtleties of dominance-submission relationships is the subtle disrespect the USMC has been showing Obama. They fulfill all requirements but visibly refrain from honoring him in any way unnecessary - they don't bother to get up to listen to him talk about Afghanista ...[text shortened]... uote]

Ignored. They have violated no rules. The discipline and loyalty to their nation they show by following his orders anyway is incredibly admirable.
  10. Joined
    07 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 01:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Another example of the subtleties of dominance-submission relationships is the subtle disrespect the USMC has been showing Obama. They fulfill all requirements but visibly refrain from honoring him in any way unnecessary - they don't bother to get up to listen to him talk about Afghanista ...[text shortened]... uote]

Maybe its because they would just like thier votes to count for a change?

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MDA5NTQzMmE3ZjBlMDBmMDQwY2UxMGFlN2RhYzBjZDU=
  11. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 03:222 edits
    Originally posted by FMF

How about... complete BS?

A chain email was sent around making similar claims about Marines giving Bush "extra" respect. This was debunked by truthorfiction.com

A spokesperson for the Marine Corps said it best when he said any of respect would be not for the man, but the Presidency, and that would not be tolerated.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/m/marinerespect.htm

It really makes pisses me off when people try to politicize the military by claiming we (as an organization) favor one party over the other. While on a percentage basis I would guess there are more Republicans than Democrats, us Dems in uniform are cetainly not anomalies. I know quite a few who lean left.

The single greatest increase in any benefit servicemembers have received in decades is the 21st Century GI Bill. This was opposed by John McCain and Dubya because they felt it would encourage too many troopers to leave the military. Obama was a co-sponsor.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 04:29
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper

A chain email was sent around making similar claims about Marines giving Bush "extra" respect. This was debunked by truthorfiction.com

A spokesperson for the Marine Corps said it best when he said any of respect would be not for the man, but the Presidency, and that would not be tolerated.

http://www.truthorfict ...[text shortened]... they felt it would encourage too many troopers to leave the military. Obama was a co-sponsor.
    Oops. If this is fake, I apologize.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 04:42
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Interesting. So you think the incident in December 2008 (mentioned in the OP) was faked? Was Obama in on it?
  14. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 20:072 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Interesting. So you think the incident in December 2008 (mentioned in the OP) was faked? Was Obama in on it?
    WHAT incident?

Link one is to a Conservative blogger who's claiming the Marines weren't "enthusiastic" when Obama walked into the chow hall. I don't even care to try to investigate the validity of his claim, because the claim itself is woopy-effing-doo.

Link two is an article claiming not many troopers in Afghanistan woke up before 0530 to watch Obama's speech. For starters they act like everyone there has access to a television anytime they want. They can't just crowd around a gym where people are trying to work out, nor can they enter the chow hall just to sit and watch TV. Second, I just came off of deployment myself - and I wouldn't have woken up that earlier, either - and I'm a big supporter of Obama. I figure I can catch the highlights later.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree