1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 16:56
    http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/11/so-the-internets-about-to-lose-its-net-net-neutrality/

Net neutrality is a dead man walking. The execution date is not set yet, but it could be days, months (at best). And since net neutrality is the principle forbidding huge telecommunications companies from treating users, websites, or apps differently -- say by letting some work better than others -- the dead man waking is not some abstract or far removed principle just for wonks. It affects the internet as we know it.

Once upon a time companies like AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, and others, declared war on the internets foundation principle; that its networks should be "neutral" and users don't need anyone's permission to invent, create, communicate, broadcast, or share online. The neutral and level playing field provided by permission innovation has empowered all of us with the freedom to express ourselves and innovate online without having to seek the permission of a remote telecom executive.

But today the freedom won't survive much longer if a federal court -- the 2nd most powerful court in the nation behind SCOTUS, the DC court -- is set to strike down the nation's net neutrality law, a rule adopted by the Federal Communications Commission in 2010.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 17:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/11/so-the-internets-about-to-lose-its-net-net-neutrality/

Net neutrality is a dead man walking. The execution date is not set yet, but it could be days, months (at best). And since net neutrality is the principle forbidding huge telecommunications companies from treating users, websites, or apps differently -- say by let ...[text shortened]... he nation's net neutrality law, a rule adopted by the Federal Communications Commission in 2010.
    Hmmm.. eliminating regulations sounds kinda libertarian.

PS the page loads if you remove the duplicate "net-" from the url.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 19:381 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Hmmm.. eliminating regulations sounds kinda libertarian.

PS the page loads if you remove the duplicate "net-" from the url.
    I know, libertarians and conservatives are suppose to support this sort of thing.

However, I realize now that tyranny is all about control, whether it comes from government or corporate America. You have the left defending the government and the right defending corporate America, but at the end of the day they are simply two sides to the same coin.

I have no doubt that SCOTUS will uphold this. It is a court by and for the same corporate entities that upheld the Constitutionality of corporate America setting our health insurance tax rates.

Corporations are government creations. In and of themselves, they are like tiny governments that seek power like those in Washington. The same filth that poured billions of dollars into the campaigns of Obama and company are the same ones vying for control over freedom of speech in the internet.

The corporate structure is critical for the collectivist. It destroys competition amongst small business owners and lowers international borders. They are the fuel for collectivist statist to impose their control over us all.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 19:58
    I know, libertarians and conservatives are suppose to support this sort of thing.

However, I realize now that tyranny is all about control, whether it comes from government or corporate America. You have the left defending the government and the right defending corporate America, but at the end of the day they are simply two sides to the same coin.

I h ...[text shortened]... tional borders. They are the fuel for collectivist statist to impose their control over us all.
    Net-neutrality and related first amendment rights can be preserved only by government regulation to limit the influence of corporations. The trend is in the opposite direction.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 20:271 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Net-neutrality and related first amendment rights can be preserved only by government regulation to limit the influence of corporations. The trend is in the opposite direction.
    What are you talking about? The government passed over 40,000 new laws and regulations last year alone.

Both government and corporate America walk hand in hand in taking away our freedoms and destroying the middle class and we have the left and right fighting blindly aside both.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '13 22:20
    What are you talking about? The government passed over 40,000 new laws and regulations last year alone.

Both government and corporate America walk hand in hand in taking away our freedoms and destroying the middle class and we have the left and right fighting blindly aside both.
    "...government and corporate America walk hand in hand..."

That's pretty much what I thought I said. In the case of net-neutrality, the tag team of government and corporate America is headed toward turning control over the corporations.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree