The Doomed Dollar

The Doomed Dollar

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illinois

Moves
22 Oct 09

Any thoughts on how long the U. S. Dollar will last? What will be the consequences for America and the world if the Dollar completely tanks?

silicon valley

Moves
22 Oct 09

i got mine, jack.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
22 Oct 09

Robert Fisk wrote about this in the Independent recently:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/the-demise-of-the-dollar-1798175.html

e

Moves
22 Oct 09

The dollar will continue to be a major world currency, but its relative value may continue to decline against major currencies. The thing is that nobody knows the future, we just have an indication that there is more borrowing and spending on the horizon...

That article about countries moving away from the dollar seems to be in part a flexing of newly gained economic muscle. I did find it strange that oil would be priced in dollars in the first place...

Too much spending and too little earning...

M

Moves
22 Oct 09

Originally posted by epiphinehas
Any thoughts on how long the U. S. Dollar will last? What will be the consequences for America and the world if the Dollar completely tanks?
for the dollar "to completely tank", America itself would have to completely tank.

If the latter occurred, the "consequences for America" are obvious.

M

Moves
22 Oct 09

Originally posted by eljefejesus
The dollar will continue to be a major world currency, but its relative value may continue to decline against major currencies. The thing is that nobody knows the future, we just have an indication that there is more borrowing and spending on the horizon...

That article about countries moving away from the dollar seems to be in part a flexing of ne ...[text shortened]... would be priced in dollars in the first place...

Too much spending and too little earning...
I expect to see a certain weakening of the dollar in the coming decades as other countries (especially China, India, and Southeast Asia) become ever more developed, and the world economy continues to move away from the almost total dominance by America that prevailed after WW II.

Illinois

Moves
22 Oct 09

Originally posted by DrKF
Robert Fisk wrote about this in the Independent recently:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/the-demise-of-the-dollar-1798175.html
Thanks for the link.