Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 09 Sep '14 23:10
    I have often observed the Dunning-Kruger effect in this forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

"The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias manifesting in unskilled individuals
    suffering from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher
    than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the
    unskilled to recognize their ineptitude."
    --Wikipedia

"If you're incompetent, you can't know you are incompetent."
    --David Dunning

That may explain the behavior of many writers in this forum.

"Studies on the Dunning-Kruger effect tend to focus on American test subjects.
    A study on some East Asian subject suggested that something like the opposite
    of the Dunning-Kruger effect may operate on self-assessment and motivation to improve
    East Asians tend to underestimate their abilities..."
    --Wikipedia

Given the general superiority of East Asian over American students in academic
    tests (particularly in mathematics and science), one might conclude that
    adopting a common East Asian cultural attitude (more self-criticism and less
    arrogance) could help even the Americans improve their academic performances.
    If the Dunning-Kruger Effect holds, however, the least competent Americans
    will be the least likely to recognize any need to change because they already
    seem convinced of their own superiority, which popular culture tends to reinforce.
  2. 09 Sep '14 23:17
    Originally posted by Duchess64

"The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias manifesting in unskilled individuals
    suffering from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher
    than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability ...[text shortened]... they already
    seem convinced of their own superiority, which popular culture tends to reinforce.
    Check the mirror.
  3. 09 Sep '14 23:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Check the mirror.
    Thanks to Normbenign for corroborating the persistence of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
    Normbenign has long shown his abysmal levels of intelligence and education,
    yet he remains apparently completely convinced of his effortless superiority.

"participants scoring in the bottom quartile in tests of...(English) grammar
    and logic grossly overestimated their test performance and ability. Although test
    scores put them in the 12th percentile, they estimated themselves to be in the 62nd."
    --Wikipedia

I expect Normbenign (a proud white American native speaker of English)
    to perform worse than I on any objective university-level tests of English
    grammar or logical reasoning. Even Normbenign's right-wing political allies
    here don't really believe all of Normbenign's bluster and boasting.
  4. 10 Sep '14 02:00
    Thanks to Normbenign for corroborating the persistence of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

and logic grossly overestimated thei ...[text shortened]... right-wing political allies
    Hardly anyone of any political persuasion believes you, or respects anything you have to say.

It is you who claims "effortless superiority", not me. On this forum, we each have only our words to represent us. Your claims of higher authority mean zilch. Who is it that overestimates their performance and ability?
  5. 10 Sep '14 04:33

and logic grossly overestimated thei ...[text shortened]... right-wing political allies
    Norm and I both find what you have to say quite boring, and holding nothing original, like say, thinking for yourself, rather than using Wiki for everything you'd like to discuss,, tell us how you really feel? Superior in each and every way? At least we know you can read.
    I think I should chuckle here,,
  6. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    10 Sep '14 13:41
    Jesus.
    Considering this Dunning-Kruger malarkey and the whole Peter-principle the US suffers from... it's a bloody surprise they can even tie their shoe laces!

Kuddo's to the yanks! On having over-reached your competence level and not knowing it and yet managing to screw the world up like you're doing!

Wow.
    Pretty amazing!
  7. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    10 Sep '14 14:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Jesus.
    Considering this Dunning-Kruger malarkey and the whole Peter-principle the US suffers from... it's a bloody surprise they can even tie their shoe laces!

Kuddo's to the yanks! On having over-reached your competence level and not knowing it and yet managing to screw the world up like you're doing!

Wow.
    Pretty amazing!
    Is this where we chant "USA USA USA?"

Someone please let me know when it's time.
  8. Subscriber thaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    10 Sep '14 15:07
    Is it even possible to attribute this Freddy-Krueger effect to someone else without first diagnosing yourself ?
  9. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    10 Sep '14 15:38
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Is this where we chant "USA USA USA?"

Someone please let me know when it's time.
    Why the fk would anyone ever chant that?
  10. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    10 Sep '14 16:01
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Why the fk would anyone ever chant that?
    It solidifies our confidence in our superiority. If we don't get to chant this we have to bomb something.
  11. 10 Sep '14 16:55 / 1 edit

than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability ...[text shortened]... they already
    "That [the D-K effect] may explain the behavior of many writers in this forum."

It may explain behavior but it may also lead us to judge a person's argument not on the basis of its content, but instead on the basis of our assessment of their competence in general. It becomes a sort of ad hominem argument by which we dismiss their argument on the basis of something about them as people. The dismissal does not address the content of their argument.

I think it is more productive to terminate discussion with people who we judge to be incompetent on a given subject, and instead seek out people whose competence we respect.

Edit: If you can't find anyone who both disagrees with you and whose competence you respect, it's time to look in that mirror.
  12. 10 Sep '14 17:43
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Check the mirror.
    It will have to be one big mirror to fit her *big head in* .
  13. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    10 Sep '14 18:03
    Originally posted by phil3000
    It will have to be one big mirror to fit her *big head in* .
    I think that usually goes something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_-pDpLVVNc

(Replace "Snow White" with random name of Disdain Train passenger)
  14. Standard member Grampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    10 Sep '14 22:54

Originally posted by Duchess64 (OP)
    "I have often observed the Dunning-Kruger effect in this forum..." RHP Nicknames, please; generalizations are meaningless.
  15. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    10 Sep '14 23:18
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Originally posted by Duchess64 (OP)
    "I have often observed the Dunning-Kruger effect in this forum..." RHP Nicknames, please; generalizations are meaningless.
    Shouldn't raise your head above the parapet gramps.