1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 01:44
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Retiring is a middle class concept.
    That won't last.

http://www.mybudget360.com/saying-goodbye-middle-class-concept-retirement-retire-savings-pensions-fundings-money-savings/

"The romantic concept of being able to retire on a sunny beach with endless drinks is a modern notion largely pushed by mainstream advertising. It is hard for many middle class Americans to imagine a world where retirement is a luxury for the very few. However that is the path we are now following."

Sorry for the US-centric tilt.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 01:48
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Perhaps the real question should be over the phrase "working poor" which sounds like an oxymoron. The problem in the U.S. is that many people work 30, 40 or more hours a week but still qualify for public assistance which means taxpayers are subsidizing their employers.
    Even this is vastly different regionally. Someone making $12 to $15 an hour in rural Michigan can live decently, not exactly poverty level. Take that same income to Hawaii, NYC, or San Francisco, and poverty may well apply.

That is why all the stuff about inequality, when studied in a vacuum ends up proving nothing. There are people in the US that live in such totally different economic climates, that income, even types of work vary greatly, so the middle class designation ends up being mainly a political lever.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 01:54
    Originally posted by JS357
    For some reason, on net, it must make economic, ideological and political sense to the powerful, to route part of the employee costs through government and on to the worker as "public assistance."
    It may be that they have little to say about the matter. Seems that government help grows out of political energy, politicians buying votes by appealing to various classes with assistance.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 02:01
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Retiring is a middle class concept.
    It has been sold as that. At the origin of Social Security, life expectancy wasn't 65+, and most people from the Depression era didn't consider retirement. It was really a rich man's concept.

Probably what made retirement commonly thought of was Police and Firefighters unions, and the UAW, and perhaps the military. Often 20 or 25 and out plans allow for drawing a pension at a very young age, and continuing to work for a second pension in the 40s decade of life.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 02:02
    That won't last.

http://www.mybudget360.com/saying-goodbye-middle-class-concept-retirement-retire-savings-pensions-fundings-money-savings/

"The romantic concept of being able to retire on a sunny beach with endless drinks is a modern notion largely pushed by mainstream advertising. It is hard for many middle class Americans to imagine a world where reti ...[text shortened]... the very few. However that is the path we are now following."

The harm to the concept is both longer life spans, and lower median wages except in a few classes of workers I mentioned.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 16:16
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    everyone else being middle class even if they are rich,
    You still don't get it.

It has very little to do with how rich you are, and everything with how powerful your nth-great-grandfather was.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Jan '15 16:19
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Nonsense. Middle-class nonsense. Someone who actually is U has no problems with admitting that he's rich, or possibly poor (thanks to great-great-uncle George's "interest" in racing). Considering money "vulgar" is something for people who pretend to be U, or aspire to be so, but are still firmly non-U.

Really, in some ways the upper and lower classes have more in common than the middle classes have with either end. Neither extreme is much bothered with class shame; that's left to the wannabe's.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Jan '15 17:081 edit
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Nonsense. Middle-class nonsense. Someone who actually is U has no problems with admitting that he's rich, or possibly poor (thanks to great-great-uncle George's "interest" in racing). Considering money "vulgar" is something for people who pretend to be U, or aspire to be so, but are still firmly non-U.

Really, in some ways the upper and ...[text shortened]... ith either end. Neither extreme is much bothered with class shame; that's left to the wannabe's.
    I could care less to be upper class. I just don't want the rich pricks getting in control of the government forcing the common man off public lands making it an "rich prick only" play ground.

You know, like they have done with things like rafting through the Grand Canyon.

How do you keep the rabble out? Easy, claim they are destroying the environment. There is a very good reason for the rich to claim to be an environmentalist and it has nothing to do with the environment. That's why the rich continue to use their private jets and want to buy carbon rights claiming to be environmentalists.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jan '15 17:48
    That won't last.

"The romantic concept of being able to retire on a sunny beach with endless drinks is a modern notion largely pushed by mainstream advertising. It is hard for many middle class Americans to imagine a world where reti ...[text shortened]... the very few. However that is the path we are now following."

I've had mostly lower middle class earnings all my life, but with Social Security and a modest retirement plan my wife and I are quite comfortable and doing fine. We don't have to work at all but we do, just to keep busy. People who sit around all day suck.
    Dunno what the big deal is.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jan '15 18:48

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    24 Jan '15 19:27
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Like John Kerry marrying into the Heinz fortune.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree