1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 17:12
    Blistering speech by Pope Francis in Bolivia. Highlights:

1. "This system is by now intolerable: farmworkers find it intolerable, laborers find it intolerable, communities find it intolerable, people find it intolerable ... The earth itself ... also finds it intolerable."

2. "And behind all this pain, death and destruction there is the stench of what Basil of Caesarea, one of the church's first theologians, called 'the dung of the devil.' An unfettered pursuit of money rules. That is the dung of the devil."

3. "Working for a just distribution of the fruits of the earth and human labor is not mere philanthropy. It is a moral obligation. For Christians, the responsibility is even greater: it is a commandment."

4. "It is not enough to let a few drops fall whenever the poor shake a cup which never runs over by itself."

5. "I humbly ask forgiveness, not only for the offenses of the Church herself, but also for crimes committed against the native peoples during the so-called conquest of America."

6. "The new colonialism takes on different faces. At times it appears as the anonymous influence of mammon: corporations, loan agencies, certain 'free trade' treaties, and the imposition of measures of 'austerity' which always tighten the belt of workers and the poor."

7. "Our common home is being pillaged, laid waste and harmed with impunity. Cowardice in defending it is a grave sin. We see with growing disappointment how one international summit after another takes place without any significant result."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/07/world/pope-mass-ecuador-quito/?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool&iref=obnetwork

Geez, Occupy Wall Street couldn't have said it better. It's going to be interesting to see what he says in his speech before Congress in September. Republicans might walk out!
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 17:36
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Blistering speech by Pope Francis in Bolivia. Highlights:

1. "This system is by now intolerable: farmworkers find it intolerable, laborers find it intolerable, communities find it intolerable, people find it intolerable ... The earth itself ... also finds it intolerable."

2. "And behind all this pain, death and destruction there is the stench of wh ...[text shortened]... ting to see what he says in his speech before Congress in September. Republicans might walk out!
    Pope Finnegan. Oy.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 19:05

Geez, Occupy Wall Street couldn't have said it better. It's going to be interesting to see what he says in his speech before Congress in September. Republicans might walk out!
    Maybe they will walk back in when the pope starts talking about gays.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 19:11
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Maybe they will walk back in when the pope starts talking about gays.
    Perhaps not:

http://www.religionnews.com/2015/02/16/gay-catholics-find-new-tone-pope-francis-bishops/

Indeed "talking about gays" is new ground for a pope; none had ever used the term before.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 19:59
    Wut? Not another sermon on recycling?

What kind of a Christian is he anyway? 😠
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 20:00
    Don't expect him to talk about the gay pedophiles in the Catholic church. No, no, he prefers to cast stones at everyone else.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 20:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    Wut? Not another sermon on recycling?

What kind of a Christian is he anyway? 😠
    The spiritual leader of the majority of Christians kind. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 20:04
    He sounds pissed, has someone threatened to take away his tax exemption.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 20:06
    Don't expect him to talk about the gay pedophiles in the Catholic church. No, no, he prefers to cast stones at everyone else.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/pope-francis-catholic-church-punish-pedophile-priests-article-1.1308895
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 21:162 edits
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/pope-francis-catholic-church-punish-pedophile-priests-article-1.1308895
    "Once again, as have happened hundreds of times already, a top Catholic official says he's asking another top Catholic official to take action about pedophile priests and complicit bishops," said Barbara Dorris of Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP), a U.S.-based organization. "Big deal. Actions speak louder than words."

Wow. The Pope actually passed the buck to have someone eise do something about it?

Nice. Can't wait to see what they refuse to do.

Now is this kinda like the GOP saying they will reduce spending or Obama telling us we can keep our health care plans that won't go up in price?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 21:333 edits
    If I were Pope, I would personally find out which of these bastards were making a mockery of the Christian faith and defling these innocent children. Then I would grab there gonades and cut them off and then turn them over to the proper authorities.

I would love to see them arrest me for doing that. Overnight I would rejuvinate the Catholic church into relevance once again.

But hey, that's just me. Apparently the Pope hopes others can do his job for him, or he is just kicking the can down the road once again. My guess is the later.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 21:35
    "Once again, as have happened hundreds of times already, a top Catholic official says he's asking another top Catholic official to take action about pedophile priests and complicit bishops," said Barbara Dorris of Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP), a U.S.-based organization. "Big deal. Actions speak louder than words."

Wow. The Pope actu ...[text shortened]... reduce spending or Obama telling us we can keep our health care plans that won't go up in price?
    That article was from his first month in office.

You aren't aware of very much so you probably aren't aware that the RCC is hierarchically based and discipline for priests is usually done at the diocese and arch-diocese levels. It hardly surprising in a Church with over a billion members that the Pope himself doesn't normally discipline individual priests. In fact he has used the extraordinary remedy of excommunication against some convicted pedophile priests.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/09/pope-francis-excommunicate-priest_n_6122766.html

Of course, this is a smokescreen to get people to not discuss what he said; that's a little too "progressive" for right wing nuts like yourself to handle. And his saying that Matthew 25 is the central message of Christian faith just isn't going to be popular with evangelical "Christians".
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 21:371 edit
    That article was from his first month in office.

You aren't aware of very much so you probably aren't aware that the RCC is hierarchically based and discipline for priests is usually done at the diocese and arch-diocese levels. It hardly surprising in a Church with over a billion members that the Pope himself doesn't normally discipline individual pr ...[text shortened]... central message of Christian faith just isn't going to be popular with evangelical "Christians".
    Screw the bureaucracy.

The buck stops here, that is, if he speaks for the church.

I'm telling you, it's the only way anything of significance will get done, and really the only way justice will get served

If you are Pope, who is gonna stop you, especially when distributing justice that is long overdue?
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 21:39
    If I were Pope, I would personally find out which of these bastards were making a mockery of the Christian faith and defling these innocent children. Then I would grab there gonades and cut them off and then turn them over to the proper authorities.

I would love to see them arrest me for doing that. Overnight I would rejuvinate the Catholic church into r ...[text shortened]... his job for him, or he is just kicking the can down the road once again. My guess is the later.
    Someone as profoundly ignorant of the almost every subject including the Christian faith isn't qualified to sweep the floors of a Church never mind being Pope.

More than a billion Catholics think the Church is quite relevant.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 21:40
    Screw the bureaucracy.

The buck stops here, that is, if he speaks for the church.

I'm telling you, it's the only way anything of significance will get done, and really the only way justice will get served

If you are Pope, who is gonna stop you, especially when distributing justice that is long overdue?
    Smokescreen continuing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree