The roots of America's democracy problem

The roots of America's democracy problem

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z

Moves
27 Nov 18

A piece by Vox addressing some of the issues with US democracy and presents some solutions that, while revolutionary and seemingly outlandish, aren't that bad and certainly better than doing nothing.

Puerto Rico and DC becoming states is the most obvious first steps and long overdue. Democrats growing a spine and actually putting up a fight is long overdue as well. The US supreme court must be dissolved or you must at least change the way you appoint supreme court judges (what happens to the separation of powers principle when presidents can appoint supreme court judges for life?). "Winner takes all" is an absolutely retarded rule that needs to change. PACs and SuperPacs need to dissappear and you should limit both the amount of money a person could give in campaign contributions and the earliest date at which you could start campaigning (no more campaigning circus 1 year in advance)

What i found more surprising and took me a while to get used to was the proposition to split California into seven states and thus add 12 more seats to the senate

q

Moves
27 Nov 18

Yes, the US must immediately do what you suggest. For example, a small city like DC must immediately get two Senators. Is your next suggestion that you should immediately get two Senators too?

Z

Moves
27 Nov 18

@quackquack said
Yes, the US must immediately do what you suggest. For example, a small city like DC must immediately get two Senators. Is your next suggestion that you should immediately get two Senators too?
I was going to ignore you as usual, but in this case, with a particularly idiotic comment that can be immediately disproved by a 2 second google search, i just can't help it.
I must congratulate you on being remarkably stupid to make me break my commitment to ignoring you and thus setting a new low.

DC has a population of 700k. There are actually 2 states that have even less.
There are 4 more states that have less than 1 million people

Puerto Rico has 3.3 million american citizens, more than 20 other states.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/states/

m

Moves
27 Nov 18

@quackquack said
Your username says it all.

q

Moves
27 Nov 18

@zahlanzi said
I was going to ignore you as usual, but in this case, with a particularly idiotic comment that can be immediately disproved by a 2 second google search, i just can't help it.
I must congratulate you on being remarkably stupid to make me break my commitment to ignoring you and thus setting a new low.

DC has a population of 700k. There are actually 2 states that have ...[text shortened]... 3 million american citizens, more than 20 other states.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/states/
These aren't real issues. It's merely a pretext to get more votes for people who you think would vote the way you do. As the nation's capital, there already is an over focus on issues which effect Washington D.C. Maybe in the name of fairness we should move government offices away from an area which gets a disproportionate benefit from them and give other areas the opportunities to receive the billions of dollars of benefits that housing the capital brings.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
28 Nov 18

@zahlanzi said
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ySL82WbcvU

A piece by Vox addressing some of the issues with US democracy and presents some solutions that, while revolutionary and seemingly outlandish, aren't that bad and certainly better than doing nothing.

Puerto Rico and DC becoming states is the most obvious first steps and long overdue. Democrats growing a spine and actually ...[text shortened]... as the proposition to split California into seven states and thus add 12 more seats to the senate
I think the biggest problem with US democracy is that so many Americans accept and believe in it hook, line and sinker.

w

Moves
28 Nov 18

@zahlanzi said
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ySL82WbcvU

Puerto Rico and DC becoming states is the most obvious first steps and long overdue. Democrats growing a spine and actually ...[text shortened]... as the proposition to split California into seven states and thus add 12 more seats to the senate
But you forgot about doing away with the Electoral College and allowing illegal immigrants to vote.

Or how about making Republican votes count only 3/5 a person?