1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 00:55
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/us/publisher-promises-revisions-after-textbook-refers-to-african-slaves-as-workers.html

A textbook in Texas, in a chapter called "Patterns of Immigration", had this to say about slavery:

“The Atlantic Slave Trade between the 1500s and 1800s brought millions of workers from Africa to the southern United States to work on agricultural plantations.”

"workers" to "work". such nice words.
  2. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 03:18
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/us/publisher-promises-revisions-after-textbook-refers-to-african-slaves-as-workers.html

A textbook in Texas, in a chapter called "Patterns of Immigration", had this to say about slavery:

“The Atlantic Slave Trade between the 1500s and 1800s brought millions of workers from Africa to the southern United States to work on agricultural plantations.”

"Of the more than 10 million enslaved Africans to eventually reach the Western Hemisphere, just 388,747—less than 4 percent of the total—came to North America. This was dwarfed by the 1.3 million brought to Spanish Central America, the 4 million brought to British, French, Dutch, and Danish holdings in the Caribbean, and the 4.8 million brought to Brazil."

Slavery is bad, we get it.

The prime evil is; The initiation of force, threats of force and fraud. Freedom will win in the end, you and your ideology of force will lose.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 03:272 edits

Slaves were first brought to the America's by the Spanish in the South American region. Since the Spanish wiped out the native population through war, but mostly through disease, they needed workers.

In North America, indentured servants were used as cheap labor, however, they later fell out of favor and that is when slaves from the South began to trickle into the US. Again, cheap labor was needed.

Today the US uses illegal aliens as cheap labor, which is why there is no real interest in stopping them from coming to the US. They are just the modern day slaves.

So which party encourages this I wonder?
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 03:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    Slaves were first brought to the America's by the Spanish in the South American region. Since the Spanish wiped out the native population through war, but mostly through disease, they needed workers.

In North America, indentured servants were used as cheap labor, however, they later fell out of favor and that is when slaves from the South began to trickle ...[text shortened]... ing to the US. They are just the modern day slaves.

So which party encourages this I wonder?
    Choosing to work illegally in a country does not make one a slave. I have done so in 4 countries.

= Not slavery.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 03:55

During the 19th century, the 1800s to you, much of the Western world gradually freed slaves and outlawed slavery. In the CSA, after secession, importation of further slaves as already prohibited, and leaders of the Confederacy such as Lee, Jackson, and Jefferson Davis as well as many others were oppose to slavery, and by war's end had manumitted their slaves.

On the other hand, prior to the War, Lincoln and many northerners spoke out against freeing slaves, and held hostile views to slaves migrating north even after the Civil War.

Yes, slaves worked. In some ways, they had a better life than other immigrants, such as Chinese who labored building railroads, and Irish who labored to pay off indentured servitude for their passage to America. In the South, the Scott-Irish were often viewed as lower class than the black slaves. Many were ruffians and criminals.

In short order, slavery in the South would have been terminated as it was in most of the Western world. On the other hand, there are still places on the planet where slavery still exists.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 06:18
    Originally posted by normbenign
    During the 19th century, the 1800s to you, much of the Western world gradually freed slaves and outlawed slavery. In the CSA, after secession, importation of further slaves as already prohibited, and leaders of the Confederacy such as Lee, Jackson, and Jefferson Davis as well as many others were oppose to slavery, and by war's end had manumitted their sl ...[text shortened]... tern world. On the other hand, there are still places on the planet where slavery still exists.
    I suggest you read the CSA Constitution. These fairy tales you keep spinning about the CSA are either incredible and deliberate ignorance on your part or knowing falsehoods.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 17:13
    I'm thinking they got it a lot better now than if they were left to their own devices in Africa.

YouTube
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 18:27
    for some, this is a story of a textbook editor laughably screwing up.
    for others this is an opportunity to impart racist wisdom on others while insisting it is not racism.

at least there were no surprises. eladar is late though.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 18:50
    Glenn Beck's History of Illegal Immigration

YouTube
  10. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    07 Dec '15 01:112 edits
    for some, this is a story of a textbook editor laughably screwing up.
    for others this is an opportunity to impart racist wisdom on others while insisting it is not racism.

at least there were no surprises. eladar is late though.
    Ahhh yes, yee olden tymes race card.

In this thread; who has been racist, how have they been racist, where have they been racist?
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '15 09:58
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Ahhh yes, yee olden tymes race card.

In this thread; who has been racist, how have they been racist, where have they been racist?
    "I'm thinking they got it a lot better now than if they were left to their own devices in Africa"
    Fishead - 2015
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    07 Dec '15 13:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I suggest you read the CSA Constitution. These fairy tales you keep spinning about the CSA are either incredible and deliberate ignorance on your part or knowing falsehoods.
    No one, certainly not me is denying the chattel slavery was legal in the CSA. It was legal in lots of places around the world at that time. The great majority of those places made it illegal during the nineteenth century mostly without the bloodletting of 630,000 people and the massive destruction of property that was the Civil War. This led by a man who professed that he had no intention of freeing slaves.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    08 Dec '15 00:45
    "I'm thinking they got it a lot better now than if they were left to their own devices in Africa"
    Fishead - 2015
    This is correct etiquette;
    - a direct quote, attributed and dated as well, nice. We don't often see this type of behavior from you Z. But there is nothing racist in the statement you have quoted.

I don't know about Fisheads link though, only a mug would click on one of Fisheads links, you'd be an utter mug to go to one of those links right?

...oh I get it you're the one mug that did click on Fisheads link.

You poor sap, what's it like swimming around with TWO hooks in your mouth.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '15 08:58
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    This is correct etiquette;
    - a direct quote, attributed and dated as well, nice. We don't often see this type of behavior from you Z. But there is nothing racist in the statement you have quoted.

I don't know about Fisheads link though, only a mug would click on one of Fisheads links, you'd be an utter mug to go to one of those links right?

...oh I g ...[text shortened]... n Fisheads link.

You poor sap, what's it like swimming around with TWO hooks in your mouth.
    you're rambling again

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree