1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 21:311 edit
    Originally posted by mchill
    What do you mean, So much for the West Coast Paradox??

If higher taxes, more government and higher wages are so bad for business, why are jobs not fleeing the west coast?? Why is it so easy to get a good paying job on the west coast, while other parts of the country struggle? Why is the standard of living higher on the west coast?

It seems there are lots of holes in your little theory.
    As I pointed out, Oregon does not fit your criteria. Oregon suffers from its taxes and over regulation. Oregon is not a paradox. Oregon under performs and it is quite obvious.

Oregon's unemployment rate ranks right below Alabama, how proud you must be of all those help wanted signs.

California under performs as well. You might want to look at this link: http://uscommonsense.org/research/unsustainable-california-the-top-10-issues-facing-the-golden-state-wall-of-debt/

California has many natural resources going for it which includes its climate and beaches.

As has been pointed out by a liberal in this thread isn't it unusual that all the rich areas are rich due to big business. In the poor areas it requires oil. In areas that have other things going for it, they are rich because of those other things.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '16 02:496 edits
    California, Oregon, and Washington State which make up over 25% of the population have very vibrant economies, low unemployment, and high wages. This despite higher taxes and more government regulation than most other states. Does this not run counter to the theory that high wages, government regulations, and high taxes are bad for business, and will drive jo ...[text shortened]... tps://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/05/big-government-is-the-new-west-coast-craze/
    For the sake of argument, let's assume everything you say is true.

Most Americans don't know that the Boston Tea Party was not over higher taxes. In fact, it was the exact opposite. An English corporation tried to create a monopoly on tea and then lowered the price of tea.

Some people choose freedom over a bigger bank account. There is a definite price to pay for freedom that most are not willing to pay. Not only did Americans sacrifice lower tea prices, they then had to defend themselves instead of the British army doing it for them.

Looking at the exploding continued debt of the US in general, it would appear that we continue to live beyond our means with so much government intervention. Will we pay a horrible price someday?

What say you? Is there a debt limit that, if we cross, will spell the end to us economically, or can we continue indefinitely?

In like manner, the people of England chose to leave the EU, something that could have dire consequences for them economically. I guess a country that has fought two bloody wars for their sovereignty was not ready to simply surrender without a shot to mainland Europe yet.

Can't say I blame them at all.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Nov '16 03:02
    California, Oregon, and Washington State which make up over 25% of the population have very vibrant economies, low unemployment, and high wages. This despite higher taxes and more government regulation than most other states. Does this not run counter to the theory that high wages, government regulations, and high taxes are bad for business, and will drive jo ...[text shortened]... tps://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/05/big-government-is-the-new-west-coast-craze/
    You do realize that Hillary won in all the states mentioned. They seem to be very happy.

Trouble is, the rest of the country, not so much. I think this is part of why people in California just can't understand how Trump won. In short, they live in a bubble and are out of touch nationally.

Do you sanction stripping states of all their power to implement one big liberal state like California or do you favor the self determination of the states, even if that means they choose poorly?
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    21 Nov '16 05:37
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Really it seems to me that you are painting an unrealistic picture of the West coast. I recently visited north east Washington and it was looking very poor.

Oregon isn't known for its great economy. You cant pump your own gas because oregon needed to save jobs. They needed jobs so badly they passed a law protecting full sevice attendants.

Although Cali ...[text shortened]... her states. When oil is booming North Dakota has the best economy in the US perhaps second to DC
    Are you suggesting that location is more important for a healthy economy than the financial system being used?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '16 14:36
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Are you suggesting that location is more important for a healthy economy than the financial system being used?
    Yes I am. The location peovides the potential. The economic system just improves things or make them worse.

A person with an IQ of 140 will be smarter than a person with IQ of 70. Can both be made to know more by education? Will both result in equal educational results?

In an education system where everyone is taught little they will be much more alike. In an education concerned with best results for the best the result will be less alike. The most noticeable result will be the 160 because no matter what you do the 70 won't learn much.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    21 Nov '16 14:58
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Yes I am. The location peovides the potential. The economic system just improves things or make them worse.

A person with an IQ of 140 will be smarter than a person with IQ of 70. Can both be made to know more by education? Will both result in equal educational results?

In an education system where everyone is taught little they will be much more alike. ...[text shortened]... he most noticeable result will be the 160 because no matter what you do the 70 won't learn much.
    That's an interesting theory... comparing location to IQ.

Would you say that some locations would benefit more from economic system X and others more than Y?
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Nov '16 15:19
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    That's an interesting theory... comparing location to IQ.

Would you say that some locations would benefit more from economic system X and others more than Y?
    Yes but how do you judge it?

Everyone being the same? Most productive economy?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree