Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    21 Aug '09 17:32
    Despite all the whailings and naysaying from Conservative groups about the Obama administration, the stock market continues to rise, unemployment continues to drop, the economic picture continues to improve, America is just as safe now as when the G O P was in power. Conservatives can whine and whail all they want about deficits, birth cirtificates, Socialism, and healthcare, but the majority of American voters see this administration as a big improvement over the last one. I see solid Democratic majorities in both houses of Congress, and Democratic Presidents for at least the next 6-8 years. Go Blue!!
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    21 Aug '09 17:35 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by bill718
    Despite all the whailings and naysaying from Conservative groups about the Obama administration, the stock market continues to rise, unemployment continues to drop, the economic picture continues to improve, America is just as safe now as when the G O P was in power. Conservatives can whine and whail all they want about deficits, birth cirtificates, Socialis ...[text shortened]... th houses of Congress, and Democratic Presidents for at least the next 6-8 years. Go Blue!!
    Do you, in principal, have something against ever citing any source to back up anything you say?

    Incidentally, I do agree with some of that. But I think that worrying about deficits is not whining or "whailing" (whatever that means), but realism.
  3. 21 Aug '09 17:37
    Originally posted by bill718
    Despite all the whailings and naysaying from Conservative groups about the Obama administration, the stock market continues to rise, unemployment continues to drop, the economic picture continues to improve, America is just as safe now as when the G O P was in power. Conservatives can whine and whail all they want about deficits, birth cirtificates, Socialis ...[text shortened]... th houses of Congress, and Democratic Presidents for at least the next 6-8 years. Go Blue!!
    Can you prove any of this?
  4. 21 Aug '09 18:03
    Originally posted by bill718
    Despite all the whailings and naysaying from Conservative groups about the Obama administration, the stock market continues to rise, unemployment continues to drop, the economic picture continues to improve, America is just as safe now as when the G O P was in power. Conservatives can whine and whail all they want about deficits, birth cirtificates, Socialis ...[text shortened]... th houses of Congress, and Democratic Presidents for at least the next 6-8 years. Go Blue!!
    do you always have to be so partisan?
  5. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    21 Aug '09 18:04 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    Do you, in principal, have something against ever citing any source to back up anything you say?

    Incidentally, I do agree with some of that. But I think that worrying about deficits is not whining or "whailing" (whatever that means), but realism.
    Yes...I do have something against citing sources to back up my statements. I assume you are smart enough to be able to read the Dow Jones Industrial average, and have some idea of what it means, I also assume your smart enough to understand national unemployment statistics, not to mention the number of terrorist attacks on American soil of late. I don't really need to spoon feed this information to you...do I?
  6. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    21 Aug '09 18:08
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    do you always have to be so partisan?
    Perhaps I do get a little too partisan. Considering all the others here who are doing the same thing I guess I'm just part of the crowd.
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    21 Aug '09 18:13 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    Yes...I do have something against citing sources to back up my statements. I assume you are smart enough to be able to read the Dow Jones Industrial average, and have some idea of what it means, I also assume your smart enough to understand national unemployment statistics, not to mention the number of terrorist attacks on American soil of late. I don't really need to spoon feed this information to you...do I?
    If the only assertions you made were that the Dow is up and that there had been no terrorist attacks, perhaps. Incidentally, the employment numbers are far from clear.

    But, you asserted:

    1) the stock market continues to rise,
    2) unemployment continues to drop,
    3) the economic picture continues to improve,
    4) America is just as safe now as when the G O P was in power.
    5) Conservatives whine and whail about deficits, birth cirtificates, Socialism, and healthcare,
    6) the majority of American voters see this administration as a big improvement over the last one.

    Surely something there ought to be sourced.
  8. 21 Aug '09 18:16
    Originally posted by bill718
    Perhaps I do get a little too partisan. Considering all the others here who are doing the same thing I guess I'm just part of the crowd.
    "go blue", you can't get any more partisan than that.

    that is true to a certain extent, but just because some people choose to act stupidly doesn't mean you should do it as well.
  9. 21 Aug '09 18:29
    Originally posted by bill718
    Perhaps I do get a little too partisan. Considering all the others here who are doing the same thing I guess I'm just part of the crowd.
    hmmm 9-11 resulting from Clinton's ignoring global threats, including releasing bin laden in the sudan...Bush countering that resulting in no more attacks...let's see where we are in 5 years...I don't think you've given the current administration enough time to affect our safety.
  10. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    21 Aug '09 18:37
    Originally posted by NimzovichLarsen
    hmmm 9-11 resulting from Clinton's ignoring global threats, including releasing bin laden in the sudan...Bush countering that resulting in no more attacks...let's see where we are in 5 years...I don't think you've given the current administration enough time to affect our safety.
    I could take issue with a few of your statements...but I won't. As far as this administration goes, Obama will make his share of mistakes just like all the other Presidents. I don't think things are running too badly at this point though.
  11. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    21 Aug '09 18:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by NimzovichLarsen
    hmmm 9-11 resulting from Clinton's ignoring global threats, including releasing bin laden in the sudan...Bush countering that resulting in no more attacks...let's see where we are in 5 years...I don't think you've given the current administration enough time to affect our safety.
    Well...there are many who are asking "If Bush and the G O P are so good at defending America, then why did the 9/11 attacks happen on Bush's watch"?? Frankly, I don't think there is a dimes worth of difference between the G O P and the Democrats regarding who keeps America safer.