1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 06:16
    The ABC News/Washington Post poll released yesterday has Romney and Gingrich each at 30%, and Ron Paul at 15%.

http://www.langerresearch.com/uploads/1132a2The2012Election.pdf

A concern for the Republicans is that Paul may go third party after losing the Republican nomination.

http://blog.chron.com/rickperry/2011/12/a-third-party-ron-paul-mitt-romneys-general-election-nightmare/

A third-party Ron Paul: Mitt Romney’s general election nightmare?

Though Mitt Romney has twice the Republican support that Ron Paul can claim, a third-party run by Paul could be devastating to Romney’s chances against President Obama in a 2012 general election.

A national ABC News/Washington Post poll shows Romney tied with Newt Gingrich for support overall, both with 30 percent of the vote. That puts Romney 15 percentage points ahead of second-place Paul. And Romney ties with Obama among registered voters, with both candidates receiving 47 percent support in a head-to-head matchup. Gingrich is still eight points behind the President, and Paul hangs five points behind Obama.

But if Paul steps into the game as a third-party candidate, he seems to obliterate Romney’s ability to compete against the Democratic incumbent. In a three-way matchup, Paul takes 21 percent support among registered voters, with most of that support seeming to come from Romney’s base. He loses 15 points among registered voters, putting him at 32 percent support, 10 percentage points behind Obama’s 42 percent.

The poll plays out the nightmare scenario that much of the Republican establishment is increasingly dreading–that of a third-party run for Paul and, consequently, a win for Obama. And that drumbeat gets ever louder as that same poll reveals that a strong majority of Americans — 61 percent — view the idea of a third-party candidate favorably at this point.

Though Paul has said he’s not currently considering it, he hasn’t completely dismissed the idea yet.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 07:32
    Just about every interviewer from the corporate news media asks RP if he would consider a 3rd party run. It is an attempt to paint him as a threat to all republicans so they will not vote for him.

Anybody can pull a Lieberman. Why don't they ask the other candidates that?
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 12:51
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Just about every interviewer from the corporate news media asks RP if he would consider a 3rd party run. It is an attempt to paint him as a threat to all republicans so they will not vote for him.

Anybody can pull a Lieberman. Why don't they ask the other candidates that?
    1) Paul has run as a libertarian before

2) No other present candidate has run a major election on a third party line

That's why they don't ask the other candidates that. And I think you knew that.

Oh, and it's hard to criticize Lieberman for running as an Independent when he WON. It's one thing to run to play spoiler, but if you WIN, obviously criticism for running is silly.
  4. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 13:22
    Originally posted by sh76

Oh, and it's hard to criticize Lieberman for running as an Independent when he WON. It's one thing to run to play spoiler, but if you WIN, obviously criticism for running is silly.
    You forgot

3. Some of his best friends are back-stabbing former Republicans.

and

4. Apparently all the time without his knowledge people publish things under his name using his ink and paper that do not reflect his actual opinions (or some weak-kneed BS just like that.)
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 15:01

1) Ron Paul is doing very well in the Iowa polls and there is no reason for him to consider a 3rd party run. Maybe if he didn't have a chance of winning the nomination that would be an appropriate question to ask, but he does have a chance of winning. Even you admit that.....now.

2) It is not all that important that Ron Paul ran in the Libertarian party. The Libertarians will pick their candidate and it will not be Ron Paul, unless you are suggesting they won't pick their candidate in hopes that RP will accept the vacuum at the risk of having no presidential candidate on the ballot.

Did Lieberman know he would win? It is silly to say winning makes it okay nostradumbass!
    Play spoiler? Anybody can accuse a candidate of that. If you don't like it, promote instant run-off voting so it is not an option. There is a better way. I think you knew that too.
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 17:06
    I don't think Paul can get the nomination, but couldn't he play king maker? Suppose Paul said he'd drop out and endorse Perry, but run as independent if Gingrich or Romney get the nomination.
  7. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 17:061 edit
    oops. Double post.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 17:25
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    1) Ron Paul is doing very well in the Iowa polls and there is no reason for him to consider a 3rd party run. Maybe if he didn't have a chance of winning the nomination that would be an appropriate question to ask, but he does have a chance of winning. Even you admit that.....now.

2) It is not all that important that Ron Paul ran in the Libertarian par ...[text shortened]... tant run-off voting so it is not an option. There is a better way. I think you knew that too.
    Easy, easy there, fella. ("nostradumbass"? I have to give you a point for that one, if you thought of it...)

In any case, Lieberman knew he had a substantial chance to win. Ron Paul knows perfectly well he's not winning the Presidency from a third party ticket.

All he has to say is that he's not running as a third party candidate and he'd put it to rest. You don't think Gingrich and Romney would be willing to say the same?

This whole "Boo Hoo! They asked my guy a tough question and didn't ask the other guy the same" is daft.
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 20:45
    Originally posted by moon1969
    The ABC News/Washington Post poll released yesterday has Romney and Gingrich each at 30%, and Ron Paul at 15%.

http://www.langerresearch.com/uploads/1132a2The2012Election.pdf

A concern for the Republicans is that Paul may go third party after losing the Republican nomination.

http://blog.chron.com/rickperry/2011/12/a-third-party-ron-paul-mitt-rom ...[text shortened]... has said he’s not currently considering it, he hasn’t completely dismissed the idea yet.[/quote]
    Take this to the bank. Ron Paul will not be a third party candidate.
  10. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    22 Dec '11 23:23
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Take this to the bank. Ron Paul will not be a third party candidate.
    Why is Ron not running for Congress?
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Dec '11 16:44
    Easy, easy there, fella. ("nostradumbass"? I have to give you a point for that one, if you thought of it...)

In any case, Lieberman knew he had a substantial chance to win. Ron Paul knows perfectly well he's not winning the Presidency from a third party ticket.

All he has to say is that he's not running as a third party candidate and he'd put it to rest. ...[text shortened]... Hoo! They asked my guy a tough question and didn't ask the other guy the same" is daft.
    Ron Paul cannot know what is going to happen in the future despite many of his accurate predictions and neither can you, or me for that matter. Last time I heard somebody ask Paul if he is ruling out a 3rd party run he said he generally does not rule anything in or out as a rule. That is good enough for me since it is hard to tell how history will unfold.
    I always call people nostradumbass if they imply they can tell the future and I question their prediction. I don't mean it to be insulting just so you know. And yes, I did think of it.

I admit it is highly unlikely he could win as a third party candidate and I don't expect him to run on a 3rd party ticket. I am not boo hooing at all. I just think after giving the same answer again and again these interviewers should give it a rest. We all know what his answer will be. Oh, now I am being a nostradumbass. My bad..lol
  12. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    23 Dec '11 23:28
    Hooray!!! Trump is jumping in the pool. Be prepared for the whole Republican field to drown in the wake of his momentous belly-flop!!! Finally a candidate with the arrogance of Newt, the money of Romney, the thinly disguised racism of Paul, the stupidity of Perry, and the roaming hands and rushing fingers of Cain! Truly a semi-human for all seasons! Be prepared to have your little minds blown!
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    24 Dec '11 01:22
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Why is Ron not running for Congress?
    He's been there about 20 years.
  14. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    24 Dec '11 17:03
    I've heard that Ron Paul is going to ask the Libertarian nominee to be his running mate. Will Republicans appreciate that?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree