1. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 12:12
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    where does it say it was at nighttime. maybe one of us doesn't have all the facts
    He was doing this in broad daylight?

Don't think so.
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 22:16
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    church kitchen
    not necessarily church
    as in not that much money. he might have sold the silverware they give the homeless to eat though.
    or perhaps the thousand of dollars that come from the homeless paying for their meals.

i remain at my idea that should he wanted to steal, he would have mugged someone or break into a house.
    mugging is dangerous, burglary can be dangerous if the house turns out to be occupied.

church-run soup kitchens (charity kitchens) have to abide by the same food regulations as restaurants (a charity kitchen in CA near here ran into trouble when they didn't have dual sinks, etc., etc.). meaning they have lots of equipment sitting around. and possibly cash. not everything is donated as food.

he can come in to eat for FREE when it's open, he didn't need to break in to steal food.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Aug '10 23:52
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    mugging is dangerous, burglary can be dangerous if the house turns out to be occupied.

church-run soup kitchens (charity kitchens) have to abide by the same food regulations as restaurants (a charity kitchen in CA near here ran into trouble when they didn't have dual sinks, etc., etc.). meaning they have lots of equipment sitting around. and possibly ...[text shortened]... .

he can come in to eat for FREE when it's open, he didn't need to break in to steal food.
    Exactly.
    I don't think a life sentence was in order, but I don't buy the "i beez hongry" defense.
    He could have eaten for free a lot of different ways.
    It was just an excuse that sounded good to him.
    It was a lucky thing nobody ran into him when he was foraging for food.
    He might have hurt them and taken their money.
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 04:14
    the "Jean Valjean" judge should be kicked out. i think he's milking it.
  5. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 08:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    Misanthropy, brinkmanship and willy waving, on the part of legislators, all rolled into one.
    This is an example if the opposite lunatic way of dealing with the problem.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/7953953/Criminal-jailed-for-73rd-time-at-age-of-37.html
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 08:53
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    He was doing this in broad daylight?

Don't think so.
    so you don't know
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 09:31
    13 years for stealing bread?
    And people still don't think there's something wrong with that system???

Good grief.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 12:072 edits
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    13 years for stealing bread?
    And people still don't think there's something wrong with that system???

Good grief.
    Saying he was looking for food was a lame effort to put a positive spin on his attempt to burglarize the church and whatever he found in it.

How can you clowns be so gullible?

I don't approve of the sentence either, but COME ON.

"I had to rob that place I beez hongry".

So you think if he'd found a pile of money or other valuables he'd of just left it alone?

Derhhhhhhh
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 12:24
    Saying he was looking for food was a lame effort to put a positive spin on his attempt to burglarize the church and whatever he found in it.

So you think if he'd found a pile of money or other valuables he'd of just left it alone?

Derhhhhhhh
    So? Even if he was stealing from a church (and hey... the church has stolen from us for centuries...)? So what?
    So, you give him a couple of months of community service and force him to get a bloody job in McDonalds or something.

You don'd lock someone up for something like that. The mere fact that they are makes me sure someone's making money out of sentences like that.

Next thing you know they'll be using prisoners as cheap labour. Oh... they do, do they?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 12:28
    So? Even if he was stealing from a church (and hey... the church has stolen from us for centuries...)? So what?
    So, you give him a couple of months of community service and force him to get a bloody job in McDonalds or something.

You don'd lock someone up for something like that. The mere fact that they are makes me sure someone's making money out of ...[text shortened]... t.

Next thing you know they'll be using prisoners as cheap labour. Oh... they do, do they?
    Yeah you don't lock up people for breaking and entering that'd be stupid good thinking there shav

"force him to get a job" now I know you're hopeless
  11. Joined
    18 May '09
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 12:33

You don'd lock someone up for something like that. The mere fact that they are makes me sure someone's making money out of ...[text shortened]... t.

Prisoners in the UK do no useful work; instead they enjoy, in many cases, a better lifestyle than they would otherwise experience. And all for free.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 12:43
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    Prisoners in the UK do no useful work; instead they enjoy, in many cases, a better lifestyle than they would otherwise experience. And all for free.
    This is in the US, isn't it?
    I mean, Britain doesn't have a 3-strikes and your out rule. That would be very un-cricket.
  13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 12:44
    Yeah you don't lock up people for breaking and entering that'd be stupid good thinking there shav
    That's right.
    Breaking and entering isn't the end of the world.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 13:15
    That's right.
    Breaking and entering isn't the end of the world.
    So according to you we can all go around just breaking into anyplace we want?
    Genius.
  15. Standard memberMacSwain
    Who is John Galt?
    Taggart Comet
    Moves
    20 Aug '10 15:14

Derhhhhhhh
    Sam: Rethink your position please consider an alternative that is being practised daily elsewhere. After all, as was posted earlier: "13 years for stealing bread is very 'un-cricket'."

You may want to agree with Shav if you were to substitute a bit of Shari'a and save cell space and expense.

"As to the thief, Male or female, cut off his or her hands: a punishment by way of example, from Allah, for their crime: and Allah is Exalted in power." - Quran 5:38

A brief video I advise you NOT watch, but if you do it will give you an idea of the alternative to prison:
    http://www.apostatesofislam.com/media/handcutting.htm

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree