1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    15 Jul '11 05:34
    Well, while we're lacking in vision in this country at the moment, China isn't letting any world wide recession slow them down. Some pretty striking images of engineering to let us all know that its economic superpower status is for real.

http://media.talkingpointsmemo.com/slideshow/chineseengineeringfeats
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    15 Jul '11 06:13
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Well, while we're lacking in vision in this country at the moment, China isn't letting any world wide recession slow them down. Some pretty striking images of engineering to let us all know that its economic superpower status is for real.

I recall hearing that same story about Japan 15 years ago. China has come a long way for sure, but I'm not convinced they can overcome there over population, pollution and political woes anytime soon.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '11 06:45
    Originally posted by bill718
    China has come a long way for sure, but I'm not convinced they can overcome [their] overpopulation [...] woes anytime soon.
    What are you talking about? With a population growth rate over the last ten years of around 0.5%, the population of China is projected to fall in the decades ahead. I'd say gender disparity is a demographic concern, but not overpopulation.
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    15 Jul '11 06:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    What are you talking about? With a population growth rate over the last ten years of around 0.5%, the population of China is projected to fall in the decades ahead. I'd say gender disparity is a demographic concern, but not overpopulation.
    Yeah, it's India that has the real population problem. And actually I'd be happy if the population of the U.S. wound back down to around 3 million, because crowds get on my tits.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '11 07:11
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    ...crowds get on my tits.
    You should cordon off the parts you least like them trampling on.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    15 Jul '11 07:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    You should cordon off the parts you least like them trampling on.
    Heh. I'll make a note of that.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Jul '11 10:10

Of course, there is a simply way to destroy their economy. Just put "In God we trust" on all their currency and watch the hilarity insue. Making money would become illegal!! 😀
  8. Shanghai
    Moves
    15 Jul '11 13:19
    I would agree, although has anyone tried learning Mandarin? I have just about got used to the different tones I think. Anyway I am off to work in Shanghai from next month and it does seem like a vibrant place. Will have to come back to the UK for the cricket season tho.
  9. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    15 Jul '11 14:58
    Originally posted by deriver69
    I would agree, although has anyone tried learning Mandarin? I have just about got used to the different tones I think. Anyway I am off to work in Shanghai from next month and it does seem like a vibrant place. Will have to come back to the UK for the cricket season tho.
    No cricket in China? Only a matter of time.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '11 15:10
    No cricket in China? Only a matter of time.
    Yep. They already drink tea. As you say. Only a matter of time.
  11. Shanghai
    Moves
    15 Jul '11 15:47
    they are aiming to have a test side by 2020 and my guess is that they will. However its Somerset that i need to be able to watch
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '11 15:55
    However its Somerset that i need to be able to watch
    So you are uncomfortable with crowds too?
  13. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    15 Jul '11 16:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you are uncomfortable with crowds too?
    I don't know anything about cricket, but that was a sweet burn.
  14. Wat?
    Moves
    15 Jul '11 22:47
    If you're in Pudong at all give me a bell. 1500981412

-m.
  15. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 01:00
    So how about the irony that a Communist nation is generating the most successful capitalism today?

It was noticed years ago when companies were leaving Taiwan for the mainland because democracy was imposing unions and environmental regulations. Both Mao Tse Tung and Chiang Kai-Shek are rolling in their graves!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree