Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    29 Feb '12 04:05 / 2 edits
    Somehow Republicans' path to a net gain of four seats in the Senate seems much less certain than in past weeks, now that Nebraska and Maine are in-play for Democrats (see the respective articles below for details).

With this in mind, I'm cautiously optimistic that Democrats can at least come away with 50 seats in November, keeping the majority with Biden as tie-breaker.

___

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/bob-kerrey-changes-his-mind-will-run-for-senate-source-says/2012/02/27/gIQARWZ3dR_blog.html

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/02/28/maine_sen_olympia_snowe_announces_retirement.html
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    29 Feb '12 13:55
    It's a terrible shame. The extreme polarization caused by the newfound GOP demand for ideological purity is forcing her out. I'm sure the Senate GOP leadership practically forced her to vote along party lines to filibuster certain bills she would not otherwise have filibustered.

Now they tea party is also is also talking about trying to primary Orrin Hatch and Dick Lugar.

The TP is going to cost the GOP control of the Senate. Pure and simple. With a more pragmatic and moderate approach, Republicans would already have Nevada and Delaware from 2010 and Snowe would not be retiring (if she ran, she'd win in a rout). Their taking over the Senate in 2012 would be a virtual shoe-in.

Now I'd handicap the GOP chances of taking the Senate in 2012 as being about 25%.
  3. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    29 Feb '12 15:39
    Originally posted by sh76
    It's a terrible shame. The extreme polarization caused by the newfound GOP demand for ideological purity is forcing her out. I'm sure the Senate GOP leadership practically forced her to vote along party lines to filibuster certain bills she would not otherwise have filibustered.

Now they tea party is also is also talking about trying to primary Orrin Hatch a ...[text shortened]... hoe-in.

Now I'd handicap the GOP chances of taking the Senate in 2012 as being about 25%.
    I don't know; the Dems still have 23 seats to defend and the Republicans only 10. The Dems could win 19 out of 33 races and still lose the Senate.
  4. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    29 Feb '12 15:59
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I don't know; the Dems still have 23 seats to defend and the Republicans only 10. The Dems could win 19 out of 33 races and still lose the Senate.
    In which case it will have totally been worth losing the moderate squishes. Banzai!
  5. 29 Feb '12 19:17
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Somehow Republicans' path to a net gain of four seats in the Senate seems much less certain than in past weeks, now that Nebraska and Maine are in-play for Democrats (see the respective articles below for details).

With this in mind, I'm cautiously optimistic that Democrats can at least come away with 50 seats in November, keeping the majority with Bid ...[text shortened]... ww.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/02/28/maine_sen_olympia_snowe_announces_retirement.html
    Let's hope so. Yet there is just so many Democrat seats in play.
  6. 29 Feb '12 19:19
    Now they tea party is also is also talking about trying to primary Orrin Hatch and Dick Lugar.
    Wow. I didn't think you could get much more to the right than Orrin Hatch. I guess he has been around too long and compromised once or twice to avoid paralysis.
  7. Standard member Soothfast
    29 Feb '12 19:52
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Wow. I didn't think you could get much more to the right than Orrin Hatch. I guess he has been around too long and compromised once or twice to avoid paralysis.
    Isn't he, like, the Grand Cyclops of the Third Reich, with five Order of Genghis Khan medals on his chest and the likeness of Benito Mussolini tattooed on his right forearm? Perhaps I'm thinking of another Orrin...
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    29 Feb '12 21:03
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Isn't he, like, the Grand Cyclops of the Third Reich, with five Order of Genghis Khan medals on his chest and the likeness of Benito Mussolini tattooed on his right forearm? Perhaps I'm thinking of another Orrin...
    Are you ever planning on posting anything that makes sense? If so, let me know when and where. I'd be interested in reading it.
  9. 29 Feb '12 21:26 / 1 edit

Now they tea party is also is also talking about trying to primary Orrin Hatch a hoe-in.

A terrible shame? Now there is a bit of an exageration.

I suppose you say this with the notion that people like this are "moderates" and that somehow moderates are the sensible ones who can see things both ways. However, in a government spending more money than God has and waring around the world threatening more war, and government growing like a cancer, a moderate in this political climate is really an extremist.

Good riddins!!!
  10. Standard member Soothfast
    29 Feb '12 21:37
    Are you ever planning on posting anything that makes sense? If so, let me know when and where. I'd be interested in reading it.
    I aim to be as lucid as your average legal document in the U.S. these days.

But seriously, Orrin must've been caught smiling on Sundays to earn the wrath of the teabaggers.
  11. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    01 Mar '12 00:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    I suppose you say this with the notion [...] that somehow moderates are the sensible ones who can see things both ways. However, [...] a moderate in this political climate is really an extremist.
    Yeah, the type of person (the type of Republican, no less) who would have been willing to vote for tax increases and spending cuts to tackle the deficit is clearly a lunatic.

Sh is right. It is disappointing to see her leave in that sense.
  12. 01 Mar '12 01:02 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Yeah, the type of person (the type of Republican, no less) who would have been willing to vote for tax increases and spending cuts to tackle the deficit is clearly a lunatic.

Sh is right. It is disappointing to see her leave in that sense.
    The President and Boehner came to an agreement with an incredible $4 trillion reduction plan with 75% massive spending cuts including in entitlements (much to the dismay of liberal Democrats) and 25% revenue increases. A ratio of 3 to 1 in spending cuts to revenue increases. The President twisted arms to get Democrat votes. But the tea party ideologues in the House shot it down.
  13. 01 Mar '12 01:12
    The gold standard stifled the world economy leading up to and into the Great Depression. The entitlement burden is doing the same today. But with the extreme inequity of wealth today, particularly so in the USA, the lower/middle class can't get out from under it.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Mar '12 01:25
    Wow. I didn't think you could get much more to the right than Orrin Hatch.
    I think the Frank Zappa track "Orrin Hatch On Skis" gets to the heart of it for me.
  15. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    01 Mar '12 01:56
    But the tea party ideologues in the House shot it down.
    Snowe isn't anywhere close to affiliating with the Tea Party.