1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    23 May '13 23:24
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Why? If she did nothing wrong, why?

latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-top-irs-official-fifth-amendment-20130521,0,6645565.story

latimes.com

Top IRS official will invoke 5th Amendment

By Richard Simon and Joseph Tanfani

1:08 PM PDT, May 21, 2013

Advertisement

WASHINGTON – A top IRS official in the divis ...[text shortened]... committees, including House Oversight, about whether some groups had been singled out unfairly.
    Maybe she had a sore throat.😀😀😀
  2. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    24 May '13 00:57
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I think it speaks volumes about her character. At least she isn't going to lie, unlike the others who have already destified.

This is rather unique quality for those who are part of team Obama.
    Or it could mean she would get in trouble no matter what she says.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    24 May '13 01:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Sounds like she has a competent attorney. Republicans and right wingers have been screaming that someone should go to jail for this (naturally before the facts are fully known), so it is prudent for her the take the Fifth. IF a criminal investigation is warranted, then there should be one by law enforcement professionals not politicians. IF Congress wants to "get to the truth" (LMAO) then she should be granted full immunity for her testimony.
    The House committee has taken the position that once she started to testify, as it would be in court, she forfeited the 5th amendment claim. I heard a Law professor explain this on radio today, and that it differs from a Miranda situation when police may question a suspect or person of interest, but that person at any point may invoke the 5th, lawyer up, and say no more.

He also admitted that it wasn't clear cut, due to the difference between an actual court of law, and a congressional committee hearing. The committee hearing actually has broader powers, but any action stemming from it goes to the Attorney General's department of public integrity, which has always been and obviously still is very much partisan.

Even special prosecutors often come under fire politically when they appear to be, or are accused of exceeding their original goals.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree