The post that was quoted here has been removed
    The US doesn't even play cricket! ๐Ÿ˜ 
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 22:21
    And in other news: Did you know the recorder flute has over 900 years of musical history, and can be traced back to the mid 11th century? My mentor Sarah Jeffries of The U.K. who now lives in Amsterdam gives a fascinating talk and demonstration of this vastly under appreciated instrument. See link below. ๐Ÿ™‚

YouTube&t=436s
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 22:37
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    An important point, frankly, I'm kind of taken with the game.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 22:541 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 23:092 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill
    And in other news: Did you know the recorder flute has over 900 years of musical history, and can be traced back to the mid 11th century? My mentor Sarah Jeffries of The U.K. who now lives in Amsterdam gives a fascinating talk and demonstration of this vastly under appreciated instrument. See link below. ๐Ÿ™‚

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erMkOYK5zzY&t=436s
    What a delightful lady and wonderful music. You said mentor, you are taking lessons from her on recorder?

I actually use recorder too, but mine is a Tascam DR-44wl, digital field recorder๐Ÿ˜‰ I just used it to record 3 hours of great old timey American music at a Labor Day folk camp at a place called Lake Genero in Pennsylvania, tiny man made lake with camping around it and an incredible array of folk musicians.

My bandmates played tin whistle in my band we had back in Venice Beach, Southwind Irish Band but I stuck with strings. Guitar, mandolin, lap dulcimer, and some concertina, which lasted till my poor Lachenal split the sound board in two, very wide split. So back to strings.
    Now I just compose folkish sounding tunes on guitar, mandolin, dulcimer and keyboard and have now 68 tunes on Soundcloud and I can give you link if you wish. Don't worry, I won't be offended if you don't want link.

It is refreshing to have music instead of the usual crap posted here.

I didn't have a clue the tunes they played in the piece she posted were the same notes but different time sigs!
  8. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Sep '18 02:572 edits
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    What a delightful lady and wonderful music. You said mentor, you are taking lessons from her on recorder?

I actually use recorder too, but mine is a Tascam DR-44wl, digital field recorder๐Ÿ˜‰ I just used it to record 3 hours of great old timey American music at a Labor Day folk camp at a place called Lake Genero in Pennsylvania, tiny man made lake with c ...[text shortened]... clue the tunes they played in the piece she posted were the same notes but different time sigs!

Yes, though not in person. She gives a whole series of lessons on youtube. If you play at all, her series is well worth subscribing to. As you know, most music store clerks care little for the recorder, thinking of it as a child's instrument.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '18 03:35
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Yes, but if it were not for the US there would be no Jiminy Cricket.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Sep '18 06:01
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Yes, but if it were not for the US there would be no Jiminy Cricket.
    Carlo Collodi might disagree.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Collodi

I'd say stick to stuff you know ... but then you would never post.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 00:326 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill

Yes, though not in person. She gives a whole series of lessons on youtube. If you play at all, her series is well worth subscribing to. As you know, most music store clerks care little for the recorder, thinking of it as a child's instrument.
    Yes that is true but I can tell you the expert tin whistle players in Ireland and here in the US play magic with such a basic instrument. Check out this dude, Kieran Collins, 1980:

YouTube

I suck on tin whistle so stick to strings and keyboard.

Found this from one of my Irish buddies, Cathal McConnell in a duet with Chrisy O'leary:

YouTube

Cathal plays in an Irish band called Boys of the Lough

Here they are in a now defunct video I think from around 1978 when we knew them:

YouTube

One of the fiddlers is Aly Bain, a great fiddler!
    They used to hang out at Judy Gameral's house after concerts back in the day. Judy was one of my bandmates in Southwind.
    Cathal is playing flute here, his main instrument but he is a virtuoso also on tin whistle.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 18:072 edits

13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 19:462 edits
    You put words in my mouth yet again. I don't know much about the ICC and would work to stop any effort by the US to corrupt its influence. I didn't start the music aside, just responded to Mchill. Maybe he has some problem with ICC. I certainly don't. Trump wants the US to go isolationist, go it alone against the entire planet. A decidedly stupid POV but we expect nothing else from such a sociopath as Trump. He has ZERO empathy and in fact when other folks like Obama or both Clintons posted tweets about their heart felt emotions about the loss of loved ones, Trump tweets "17 years since Sept 11!" A real sweetheart.

I just hope against hope democrats take over house and senate with enough votes to impeach this POTUS before any more damage can be done. Even if we do it will be YEARS before his international damage has been corrected.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 19:512 edits

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree