Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 19:22
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/10/trump-attack-on-icc-is-the-unacceptable-face-of-us-exceptionalism

"Trump attack on ICC is the unacceptable face of US exceptionalism
    Under the guise of a battle for sovereignty, America aims to end international justice."

"Put bluntly, it is an all-out bid by Donald Trump to end the ICC, the world’s
    foremost criminal tribunal, and with it, the very concept of international justice.
    Bolton is the man wielding the knife. And there is a strong possibility they will succeed."

"With fellow hawks Paul Wolfowitz and Richard Perle, Bolton led the
    charge for George W Bush’s illegal 2003 invasion of Iraq.
    Undeterred by past mistakes, and unwilling to learn from them, Bolton
    is now intent on bringing down the Iranian regime. He is unlikely to let
    considerations of legality get in the way this time either."

"That has not stopped the US pursuing an egregious double standard.
    Washington has frequently supported ICC proceedings when they suit American interests."

"On the face of it, the US has a lot to answer for in terms of alleged
    illegal killings and detentions, forced rendition, torture and mass civilian
    casualties that could amount to war crimes."

"Trump says he is fighting for US sovereignty. But to the rest of the world,
    it looks like the unacceptable face of American exceptionalism."

Recommended reading:
    _Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower_ by William Blum

“Bravo! A vivid, well-aimed critique of the evils of US global interventionism,
    a superb antidote to officialdom’s lies and propaganda."
    --Michael Parenti
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 22:14
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    "
    The US doesn't even play cricket! 😠
  3. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 22:21
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/10/trump-attack-on-icc-is-the-unacceptable-face-of-us-exceptionalism

Under the guise of a battle for sovereignty, America aims to end international justice."

"Put bluntly, it is an all-out bid by Donald Trump to end the ICC, the world’s ...[text shortened]... interventionism,
    a superb antidote to officialdom’s lies and propaganda."
    --Michael Parenti
    And in other news: Did you know the recorder flute has over 900 years of musical history, and can be traced back to the mid 11th century? My mentor Sarah Jeffries of The U.K. who now lives in Amsterdam gives a fascinating talk and demonstration of this vastly under appreciated instrument. See link below. 🙂

YouTube&t=436s
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 22:37
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    An important point, frankly, I'm kind of taken with the game.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 22:541 edit
    ICC: International Criminal Court, not International Cricket Council.

Of course, President Trump may attack the ICC (Internet Chess Club) because he wants
    the US government to control a rival internet chess server (joke).
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 23:092 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill
    And in other news: Did you know the recorder flute has over 900 years of musical history, and can be traced back to the mid 11th century? My mentor Sarah Jeffries of The U.K. who now lives in Amsterdam gives a fascinating talk and demonstration of this vastly under appreciated instrument. See link below. 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erMkOYK5zzY&t=436s
    What a delightful lady and wonderful music. You said mentor, you are taking lessons from her on recorder?

I actually use recorder too, but mine is a Tascam DR-44wl, digital field recorder😉 I just used it to record 3 hours of great old timey American music at a Labor Day folk camp at a place called Lake Genero in Pennsylvania, tiny man made lake with camping around it and an incredible array of folk musicians.

My bandmates played tin whistle in my band we had back in Venice Beach, Southwind Irish Band but I stuck with strings. Guitar, mandolin, lap dulcimer, and some concertina, which lasted till my poor Lachenal split the sound board in two, very wide split. So back to strings.
    Now I just compose folkish sounding tunes on guitar, mandolin, dulcimer and keyboard and have now 68 tunes on Soundcloud and I can give you link if you wish. Don't worry, I won't be offended if you don't want link.

It is refreshing to have music instead of the usual crap posted here.

I didn't have a clue the tunes they played in the piece she posted were the same notes but different time sigs!
  7. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Sep '18 02:572 edits
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    What a delightful lady and wonderful music. You said mentor, you are taking lessons from her on recorder?

I actually use recorder too, but mine is a Tascam DR-44wl, digital field recorder😉 I just used it to record 3 hours of great old timey American music at a Labor Day folk camp at a place called Lake Genero in Pennsylvania, tiny man made lake with c ...[text shortened]... clue the tunes they played in the piece she posted were the same notes but different time sigs!

Yes, though not in person. She gives a whole series of lessons on youtube. If you play at all, her series is well worth subscribing to. As you know, most music store clerks care little for the recorder, thinking of it as a child's instrument.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Sep '18 03:35
    Yes, but if it were not for the US there would be no Jiminy Cricket.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    11 Sep '18 06:01
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Yes, but if it were not for the US there would be no Jiminy Cricket.
    Carlo Collodi might disagree.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Collodi

I'd say stick to stuff you know ... but then you would never post.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 00:326 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill

Yes, though not in person. She gives a whole series of lessons on youtube. If you play at all, her series is well worth subscribing to. As you know, most music store clerks care little for the recorder, thinking of it as a child's instrument.
    Yes that is true but I can tell you the expert tin whistle players in Ireland and here in the US play magic with such a basic instrument. Check out this dude, Kieran Collins, 1980:

YouTube

I suck on tin whistle so stick to strings and keyboard.

Found this from one of my Irish buddies, Cathal McConnell in a duet with Chrisy O'leary:

YouTube

Cathal plays in an Irish band called Boys of the Lough

Here they are in a now defunct video I think from around 1978 when we knew them:

YouTube

One of the fiddlers is Aly Bain, a great fiddler!
    They used to hang out at Judy Gameral's house after concerts back in the day. Judy was one of my bandmates in Southwind.
    Cathal is playing flute here, his main instrument but he is a virtuoso also on tin whistle.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 18:072 edits
    Originally posted by @sonhouse to Mchill

I actually use recorder too, but mine is a Tascam DR-44wl, digital field recorder😉 I just used it to record 3 hours of great old timey American music at a Labor Day folk camp at a place called Lake Genero in Pennsylvania, tiny man made l ...[text shortened]... clue the tunes they played in the piece she posted were the same notes but different time sigs!
    Sonhouse's behavior here is most revealing of his character and opinions.

"It is refreshing to have music instead of the usual crap posted here."
    --Sonhouse (to Mchill)

Sonhouse shows his obsessive hatred of Donald Trump and routinely spews off-topic
    anti-Trump rants in threads that have nothing to do with Trump.

Even though this thread is CLEARLY about Donald Trump (who's mentioned in the title),
    Sonhouse prefers NOT to criticize Donald Trump at all. Instead, Sonhouse prefers to
    indulge in an obviously far off-topic exchange with Mchill.

So I infer that the reason why Sonhouse has NOT criticized PresidentTrump's attack on
    the International Criminal Court is because Sonhouse (privately) agrees with President Trump.
    Both Donald Trump and Sonhouse are extremely jingoistic Americans.

President Trump has attacked the ICC because he does want it ever to try any Americans for war crimes.
    Sonhouse apparently wants the same thing. Sonhouse always has attempted to excuse
    US war crimes (including rape, murder, genocide) by claiming that other countries have
    done the same, so Americans should be entitled to do so without any criticism or punishment.
    Sonhouse apparently wants all Americans to be given immunity from the ICC.

Now Sonhouse may prefer to lie and deny this. But let's consider these facts:
    1) Sonhouse has fanatically attacked PresidentTrump on ALMOST EVERY possible issue.
    2) Sonhouse prefers NOT to criticize President Trump at all when he attacks the ICC.
    3) Therefore, Sonhouse apparently agrees with and supports President Trump's attack on the ICC.

In my view, Sonhouse's an absolutely morally reprehensible apologist (at best) for US war crimes.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 19:462 edits
    Sonhouse's behavior here is most revealing of his character and opinions.

"It is refreshing to have music instead of the usual crap posted here."
    --Sonhouse (to Mchill)

Sonhouse shows his obsessive hatred of Donald Trump and routinely spews off-topic
    anti-Trump rants in threads that have nothing to do with Trump.

Even though this thread is CLE ...[text shortened]... n my view, Sonhouse's an absolutely morally reprehensible apologist (at best) for US war crimes.
    You put words in my mouth yet again. I don't know much about the ICC and would work to stop any effort by the US to corrupt its influence. I didn't start the music aside, just responded to Mchill. Maybe he has some problem with ICC. I certainly don't. Trump wants the US to go isolationist, go it alone against the entire planet. A decidedly stupid POV but we expect nothing else from such a sociopath as Trump. He has ZERO empathy and in fact when other folks like Obama or both Clintons posted tweets about their heart felt emotions about the loss of loved ones, Trump tweets "17 years since Sept 11!" A real sweetheart.

I just hope against hope democrats take over house and senate with enough votes to impeach this POTUS before any more damage can be done. Even if we do it will be YEARS before his international damage has been corrected.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 19:512 edits
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    You put words in my mouth yet again. I don't know much about the ICC and would work to stop any effort by the US to corrupt its influence. I didn't start the music aside, just responded to Mchill. Maybe he has some problem with ICC. I certainly don't. Trump wants the US to go isolationist, go it alone against the entire planet. A decidedly stupid POV but w ...[text shortened]... emotions about the loss of loved ones, Trump tweets "17 years since Sept 11!" A real sweetheart.
    Pretending to be on time, Sonhouse shows up extremely late to the party, ONLY AFTER
    I spent much time elsewhere pointing out his lies about what he HAD posted in this thread.
    Now Sonhouse hopes that lying here can cover up some of his many lies elsewhere.

"You can take it to the bank I don't like anything he says about any *international crime commission*."
    --Sonhouse (page 1, post 15, "The Other 9/11: The USA's Killing Democracy in Chile" )

Note the arrogant troll Sonhouse's abysmal ignorance, believing 'ICC' means 'international crime commission'.

Even when Sonhouse pretends to disagree with President Trump here, it's obvious that
    Sonhouse does not comprehend what he's allegedly disagreeing with him about!