Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Joined
    30 Apr '17
    Moves
    3849
    24 Jul '18 01:42
    Kind of shocking. After all the Democrats accusing Trump of committing treason (punishable by death):

    NBC/WSJ Poll: After Widely-Criticized Russia Week, Trump's Job Approval...Improves

    https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2018/07/23/nbcwsj-poll-after-terrible-russia-week-trumps-job-approvalincreases-n2502803
  2. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    24 Jul '18 02:02
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Kind of shocking. After all the Democrats accusing Trump of committing treason (punishable by death):

    [b]NBC/WSJ Poll: After Widely-Criticized Russia Week, Trump's Job Approval...Improves


    https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2018/07/23/nbcwsj-poll-after-terrible-russia-week-trumps-job-approvalincreases-n2502803[/b]
    One shouldn't rely on a single poll. The aggregates at 538 and RealClearPolitics do show very little movement irregardless of Helsinki; Trump is -11 and -9 respectively, which is about the same as he was on July 14.
  3. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Joined
    30 Apr '17
    Moves
    3849
    24 Jul '18 02:072 edits
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    One shouldn't rely on a single poll. The aggregates at 538 and RealClearPolitics do show very little movement irregardless of Helsinki; Trump is -11 and -9 respectively, which is about the same as he was on July 14.
    ONE shouldn't rely? Well tell that to the many news sources here and abroad. There are other articles saying his approval rating has "SOARED." I was trying to keep it reasonable.

    Surely it's at least somewhat noteworthy to you that while Democrats are trying to pin a death sentence on Trump, his approval hasn't gone down.
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    24 Jul '18 02:211 edit
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    ONE shouldn't rely? Well tell that to the many news sources here and abroad. There are other articles saying his approval rating has "SOARED." I was trying to keep it reasonable.

    Surely it's at least somewhat noteworthy to you that while Democrats are trying to pin a death sentence on Trump, his approval hasn't gone down.
    So there are BS articles out there.

    I thought after Trump's embarrassing performance grovelling before Putin he'd drop a bit. I gave it until the end of this week as it takes time for events to be translated into poll numbers. So I might turn out to have been wrong, but Trump's net approval rating is still worse at this point in his term than any President in 70 years.

    For what it's worth, Gallup's latest poll has him at -12 which is 3 points worse than before Helsinki, while Rasmussen (which has a significant Republican bias) has him at -7 which is right where he was on July 13.
  5. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    56305
    24 Jul '18 03:45
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    So there are BS articles out there.

    I thought after Trump's embarrassing performance grovelling before Putin he'd drop a bit. I gave it until the end of this week as it takes time for events to be translated into poll numbers. So I might turn out to have been wrong, but Trump's net approval rating is still worse at this point in his term than any Pr ...[text shortened]... (which has a significant Republican bias) has him at -7 which is right where he was on July 13.
    Why do you think his approval rating isn’t falling?
  6. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Joined
    03 Jun '17
    Moves
    19379
    24 Jul '18 03:53
    "Oh come, on guys, you got to trust our polls... They were so accurate on the eve of the election, after all!"

    Polls have often been used to gaslight everyday Americans into thinking that their positions are unpopular.

    I will give it to them: this isn't entirely useless. I felt rather skeptical of victory in September & October.

    A similar thing happened with Brexit, right?
  7. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Joined
    03 Jun '17
    Moves
    19379
    24 Jul '18 03:54
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Why do you think his approval rating isn’t falling?
    Because the economy is doing well, the Mueller probe has produced nothing that is truly damaging, the policies concerning America first in general are winners... And people don't want to engage in geopolitical brinksmanship with Russia...

    The North Korea thing...

    Geez, man, there's a lot of potential reasons why his base and even some independnets are firmly with him.
  8. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    24 Jul '18 04:12
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    Because the economy is doing well, the Mueller probe has produced nothing that is truly damaging, the policies concerning America first in general are winners... And people don't want to engage in geopolitical brinksmanship with Russia...

    The North Korea thing...

    Geez, man, there's a lot of potential reasons why his base and even some independnets are firmly with him.
    And yet he is the most unpopular President at this point in his first term in 70 years.
  9. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Joined
    03 Jun '17
    Moves
    19379
    24 Jul '18 04:30
    ... at a time that sociologists say is the most polarized in American history.
    https://news.usc.edu/110124/political-polarization-at-its-worst-since-the-civil-war-2/

    Or... Do you deny that there is massive poliarzation in America that would lead to all manner of extreme numbers?

    ... Such as, someone as populist and far right as Pres. Trump being elected, and being utterly adored by his base...?

    Surely, with the world view that you have, you agree with my analysis.
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    24 Jul '18 05:31
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    ... at a time that sociologists say is the most polarized in American history.
    https://news.usc.edu/110124/political-polarization-at-its-worst-since-the-civil-war-2/

    Or... Do you deny that there is massive poliarzation in America that would lead to all manner of extreme numbers?

    ... Such as, someone as populist and far right as Pres. Trump being ...[text shortened]... adored by his base...?

    Surely, with the world view that you have, you agree with my analysis.
    Trump is neither a populist or far right; he's a showman playing a part.

    It's like something out of Zoolander that the Republican party has become little more then his personal cult.
  11. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    24 Jul '18 06:57
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    "Oh come, on guys, you got to trust our polls... They were so accurate on the eve of the election, after all!"

    Polls have often been used to gaslight everyday Americans into thinking that their positions are unpopular.

    I will give it to them: this isn't entirely useless. I felt rather skeptical of victory in September & October.

    A similar thing happened with Brexit, right?
    This again? Both the pre-election polls of the U.S. presidential elections, as well as the Brexit referendum predicted a close race. The U.S. polls in particular were very accurate and missed the result by only one percentage point.
  12. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    24 Jul '18 07:04
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Why do you think his approval rating isn’t falling?
    In the U.S., for a large portion of the population the political party they vote for is a strong part of their identity. They are Republicans. To betray Trump is betray who they are, no matter what Trump does or says. The remaining 10 percentage points or so are just people who don't pay attention to politics but don't see anything going wrong around them. They have jobs, and so do Hank and Billy-Bob, so what are the media crying about?
  13. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Joined
    09 Oct '04
    Moves
    82254
    24 Jul '18 07:23
    I think what everyone is missing in the "Never Hillary, Trump's the least worse option", game, is the other side of that, the always Trump crowd.

    I would argue this is the same fan base that watched him run angles on WWE against the Boss, Vince McMahon. This is the same base that cynically looks at the political arena and sees a swamp and if Donald says he'll clean it up, that's all he needs to say, all they want to hear.

    No deep in depth investigation needed. This is the Donald's storyline and they are going to whoop and holler until he succeeds or is taken out. And even if he's taken out, he will always be their man, in the same way that Hulk Hogan will always live on.

    What's more to say? End of story!
    The facts are never going to matter, because for his hard core base, who I don't think have ever been troubled by facts. What's the angle? Check. What's the signature move? Check. What's the catchphrase? Check.

    Let's get ready to rumble....!
  14. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    24 Jul '18 07:32
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    ONE shouldn't rely? Well tell that to the many news sources here and abroad. There are other articles saying his approval rating has "SOARED." I was trying to keep it reasonable.

    Surely it's at least somewhat noteworthy to you that while Democrats are trying to pin a death sentence on Trump, his approval hasn't gone down.
    The reasonable conclusion is that Trump's approval rating has been stable at around 40-42% for months. In fact, his approval rating has barely moved at all during his entire Presidency; it dropped a few percent after inauguration and has been between 38 and 42 percent ever since.
  15. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Joined
    03 Jun '17
    Moves
    19379
    24 Jul '18 11:55
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Trump is neither a populist or far right; he's a showman playing a part.

    It's like something out of Zoolander that the Republican party has become little more then his personal cult.
    I bet that your statement makes a lot of people who agree with you chuckle and smash the like button, but even if it is true...

    Then, Pres. Trump was elected under the guise of being populist / far-ish right...

    And, the people voted for him literally wanting someone who was populist and far-ish right...

    And so this is not actually a criticism of what I said.
Back to Top