1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 04:492 edits
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-cut-funds-uc-berkeley-experts-not-really-012840549.html

But according to the article, he does not have the power.

"There is nothing in current legislation that would allow President Trump to do that," said Don Heller, a provost at the University of San Francisco and an expert in public education financing.

UC Berkeley receives between $400 million and $450 million annually in federal funding for research, and about $216 million for student financial aid, officials said.

Some of that can be withheld but only in very specific circumstances, such as the publication of fraudulent research or the refusal of a university to comply with the Title IX law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in educational programs

So why can they cut funds based upon discrimination of ones sex but not discrimination of ones political orientation?

Seems hypocritical to me.
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 09:033 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-cut-funds-uc-berkeley-experts-not-really-012840549.html

"There is nothing in current legislation that would allow President Trump to do that," said Don Heller, a provost at the University of San Francisco and an expert in public education financing.

UC Berkeley ...[text shortened]... n of ones sex but not discrimination of ones political orientation?

Before we go too far with this, we would all do well to consider 3 things:

1. Sending someone with these Breitbart views to the Berkeley campus to speak is much like throwing gasoline on a campfire - Not Smart !

2. Rioting, looting, destroying property, and preventing this person from speaking violated the very principles that Liberals claim to value i.e. Freedom of thought and speech. - also Not Smart !

3. Rather than acting like an adult and trying to calm the situation, Trump is acting like a playground bully by talking about defunding Berkeley. - also Not Smart !

There is plenty of blame to go around here. Maybe we should all let this situation calm down before taking further action.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 09:19

UC Berkeley ...[text shortened]... n of ones sex but not discrimination of ones political orientation?

There was no discrimination by the school because of "political orientation".

As an aside, I guess you've ditched your concerns about the scope of the President's powers now that said
    President is a Republican.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 10:44
    Originally posted by no1marauder

As an aside, I guess you've ditched your concerns about the scope of the President's powers now that said
    The real worry is all these actions riling up even the republicans enough to get his sorry ass impeached, then we are left with a REAL right winger, Pence. I think Pence would do more harm to America than Trump ever will, not that I don't think Trump is a short attention span narcissistic sociopath, he is all that and more.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 14:19
    Originally posted by mchill
    Before we go too far with this, we would all do well to consider 3 things:

1. Sending someone with these Breitbart views to the Berkeley campus to speak is much like throwing gasoline on a campfire - Not Smart !

2. Rioting, looting, destroying property, and preventing this person from speaking violated the very principles that Liberals claim to value i ...[text shortened]... o go around here. Maybe we should all let this situation calm down before taking further action.
    The same speaker has been banned from other universities in the past, before the era of Breitbart and Trump.

Not Smart!
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 14:201 edit

Why was he banned then?

As for the kings limitations, I did not think he has any in this post Constitutional era.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 15:26

Hypocritical?

I suppose you think the citizens of pre-war Germany did the right thing by not protesting Fascism, even before the world knew what evils were behind it?

Discrimination of ones political orientation? That's a good one. Fascists need to be excised from this country, totally and completely. Trump and other conservatives have dreamed about defunding Berkeley for years. Now that "Mad King Donald" is in power, he thinks he can finally do it. This has ZERO to do with "saving free speech", and plenty to do with abrogating the students' rights to free speech.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 15:411 edit
    Why was he banned then?

As for the kings limitations, I did not think he has any in this post Constitutional era.
    This is only a "post-Constitutional era" in your dreams. We still have the rule of law, as much as you enjoy seeing your king attempting to circumvent it.

And Yiannopoulos was banned for the same reason he was banned from Twitter. For "inciting or engaging in the targeted abuse or harassment of others".

People can have free speech right up until they scream "fire!" in a crowded theater. Then, rightfully so, that person gets banned from theaters.

As No1 said, you thought Presidential powers should be strangled, at least until a Rep got crowned (oops, I meant elected). Is this why you think the Constitution has (or should have) no meaning? Because it keeps 'your guy' from declaring a monarchy?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 15:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The real worry is all these actions riling up even the republicans enough to get his sorry ass impeached, then we are left with a REAL right winger, Pence. I think Pence would do more harm to America than Trump ever will, not that I don't think Trump is a short attention span narcissistic sociopath, he is all that and more.
    No, I agree. Judging by what he did to Indiana's economy as well as the rights of its citizens, I shudder to think what unleashing Pence might do to this country.

At least Trump loudly telegraphs what he wants to do. With Pence, it'll all be "under the table".
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 18:57
    Why was he banned then?

Do you read the articles you cite? From it:]

in Berkeley's case, the university had attempted to facilitate the speech on Wednesday night, cancelling it only after police became concerned about safety.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 19:091 edit
    Do you read the articles you cite? From it:]

in Berkeley's case, the university had attempted to facilitate the speech on Wednesday night, cancelling it only after police became concerned about safety.
    I see, so either a university bans a conservative speaker from speaking or the brown shirts prevent them from speaking.

Nice team work.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 19:14
    I see, so either a university bans a conservative speaker from speaking or the brown shirts prevent them from speaking.

Nice team work.
    I know it doesn't bother you, but it makes your claim about the University false and knowingly so.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Feb '17 19:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Trump is committing High Crimes and Misdemeanors as we post. To ignore that just because you think Pence's policies would be worse (personally I don't agree; Trump is going to go along with whatever the Republican Congress says in domestic policy while his foreign policy seems even crazier) is unacceptable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree