Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 10 Oct '16 07:54 / 1 edit
    Going after Trump for his locker room bawdy comments regarding women was a poor strategy. Why? because what Trump actually said Bill Clinton actually did and Hillary demeaned the women who accused him of it.

Trump kept Clinton on her heels for the entire debate. Whether sparring over Obamacare or foreign policy or tax reform or job creation, he effectively kept hammering her on her 30-year record.

Instead of a debate that was focused on Trump’s vulgar comments, the debate was focused on policy issues, and despite all of Clinton’s “preparation” when it came to the nuts and bolts of policy, Trump managed to not only go toe-to-toe with Clinton, he often got the best of her.

Trump needed to win tonight to stay alive. Clinton did not. Trump won, and he lives to fight another day. This race is far from over.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/09/presidential-debate-reactions-trump-clinton
  2. 10 Oct '16 08:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Going after Trump for his locker room bawdy comments regarding women was a poor strategy. Why? because what Trump actually said Bill Clinton actually did and Hillary demeaned the women who accused him of it.

Trump kept Clinton on her heels for the entire debate. Whether sparring over Obamacare or foreign policy or tax reform or job creation, he ef ...[text shortened]... ttps://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/09/presidential-debate-reactions-trump-clinton
    we already know you live in your own reality, robbie
  3. 10 Oct '16 08:54 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    we already know you live in your own reality, robbie
    Whereas you see in a 360 degree panoramic view in full technicolour - ad hominem much Zippy? Why not try addressing the content for a change.
  4. 10 Oct '16 08:57
    Whereas you see in a 360 degree panoramic view in full technicolour - ad hominem much Zippy? Why not try addressing the content for a change.
    it's not an ad hominem if i don't try to make my argument sound legit by attacking you.

it was an insult, dear. learn the difference.
  5. 10 Oct '16 09:14 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    it's not an ad hominem if i don't try to make my argument sound legit by attacking you.

it was an insult, dear. learn the difference.
    A personal insult? how vulgar! and it appears to me Zippy that you are making an argument by indirect inference, that being that the content of my post is somehow related to my propensity for grasping reality, otherwise your post makes absolutely no sense. I can assure you Zippy, I remain fully capable of rational thought, infact I am a logic machine!

You still seem incapable of addressing the content. Old Bills sordid past too much reality for you to handle? Hillary demeaning his victims too much reality? Order a bum feeling Zippy, anything that jolts you from your bubble.
  6. 10 Oct '16 09:30
    A personal insult? how vulgar! and it appears to me Zippy that you are making an argument by indirect inference, that being that the content of my post is somehow related to my propensity for rational thought, otherwise your post makes absolutely no sense. I can assure you Zippy, I remain fully capable of rational thought, infact I am a logic machi ...[text shortened]... s victims too much reality? Order a bum feeling Zippy, anything that jolts you from your bubble.
    "A personal insult?"
    what you deserve.

"it appears to me Zippy that you are making an argument by indirect inference"
    nope. i just don't want to debate with someone who has often shown to ignore the other party's arguments and just pack his toys and go home if the debate doesn't go his way (which, due to how poor of a debater he is, is almost always)

"my propensity for rational thought"
    ha! coming from someone denying evolution and blood transfusions this is hilarious.

"your post makes absolutely no sense."
    sure it does. it's sense is to insult you. it accomplishes this purpose.

"I remain fully capable of rational thought, infact I am a logic machine! "
    double ha!

"You still seem incapable of addressing the content."
    unwilling. definitely not with you.

"Old Bills sordid past too much reality for you to handle?"
    completely irrelevant to the matter at hand. or you subscribe to the idea that if americans chose a disgusting pig once as president (if the situations were similar which they aren't), they might as well do it again

"Hillary demeaning his victims too much reality?"
    a woman defending her husband is nowhere near what trump said about women in general.

i guess i did engage you after all. couldn't resist. oh well, i will leave you in your own reality now, i must go wash off the grease i got from my brief contact with it. (this again is an insult, not ad hominem)
  7. 10 Oct '16 10:11
    Trump clearly won, but how hard is that against Hillary? How he lost the first debate, I still don't know, even if he was trying to lose.

I was disappointed about Trump not driving home the issue of Obamacare. Here we have new legislation where the ink is not even dry and Bill Clinton admits that it is a crazy plan that is destroying the Middle Class, and it is legislation that Hillary supported.

This is why Progressives should never be taken seriously again. Progressives, like Marauder screaming at me that I'm a liar for warning about this, have completely lost all credibility.
  8. Standard member vivify
    rain
    10 Oct '16 11:02
    Originally posted by whodey
    Trump clearly won. . . .
    So what happened to Trump throwing the election?
  9. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    10 Oct '16 11:16 / 2 edits
    Trump clearly won, but how hard is that against Hillary? How he lost the first debate, I still don't know, even if he was trying to lose.

I was disappointed about Trump not driving home the issue of Obamacare. Here we have new legislation where the ink is not even dry and Bill Clinton admits that it is a crazy plan that is destroying the Middle Class, an ...[text shortened]... er screaming at me that I'm a liar for warning about this, have completely lost all credibility.
    So the charges of rape against Trump have been run completely under the table. Interesting bit of hypocricy don't you think? You do know T was accused of actual rape, not 'locker room' vulgarity, right? Just like Cosby who got away with it for frigging decades, Trump is not the nice guy you think he is. Also, his comments about 'if I am elected, you will go to jail' to paraphrase T is not something that ever belongs in a presidential level debate.

It was embarassing to see him sulking, snuffling into the mic, staring down Hillary, acting like a not very well controlled thug. How you can support this narcissistic assshole is beyond me. He won't release his tax returns because he is afraid of what might be revealed, for instance his touting his "TEN' billion when in fact it is less than half that, I think Opra has more real money than T and got it honestly starting with nothing, not given millions to start a buisinss, and screwing people left and right from architects to builders.
    BESIDES the not paying any taxes for 20 years because of the billion dollar write off in 89 or whatever year that was, 98? Don't accuse me of being some kind of Opra fan, I'm not, just pointing out her life has been a thousand times more honest and forthright than T would EVER be.
  10. Standard member vivify
    rain
    10 Oct '16 11:19

Trump kept Clinton on her heels for the entire debate. Whether sparring over Obamacare or foreign policy or tax reform or job creation, he ef ...[text shortened]... ttps://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/09/presidential-debate-reactions-trump-clinton
    First of all, what a sad, sad state we have when the worst choice for president the U.S. has ever had, can say actually say to the other candidate "what you did was worse".

*sigh*

What Trump is (intentionally) ignoring is that the video comes after a LONG line of disgusting, abhorrent statements. If his lewd comments were the only offensive things attributed to him during the campaign, this would easily be swept under the rug as human error, committed a long time ago. The problem is that the video isn't just a random moment of bad judgement; it's part of a portrait of who Trump has painted himself to be.

God...this election is embarrassing.
  11. 10 Oct '16 12:27
    Originally posted by vivify
    So what happened to Trump throwing the election?
    Trump will still lose. I think he did enough damage the last debate to do him in.
  12. 10 Oct '16 12:29
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So the charges of rape against Trump have been run completely under the table. Interesting bit of hypocricy don't you think? You do know T was accused of actual rape, not 'locker room' vulgarity, right? Just like Cosby who got away with it for frigging decades, Trump is not the nice guy you think he is. Also, his comments about 'if I am elected, you will go ...[text shortened]... pointing out her life has been a thousand times more honest and forthright than T would EVER be.
    I never said Trump was a nice guy. Trump is a product of New York style values, so no, he is not a nice guy.

Why did Hillary not bring up the rape accusation in the debate I wonder? All that was brought up were words spoken over 10 years ago.
  13. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    10 Oct '16 12:32

Compared to Hillary, Trump knows nothing. She is ridiculously overqualified for the job. He is grotesquely underqualified.

Yammering about the last 30 years is a non-sequitur. She did amazing things as a Senator from New York. One Democrat Senator cannot buck a full Congress of Party-of-NO Republicans, and expecting her to is disingenuous.

Trump cannot go "toe-to-toe" with Clinton on policy. She has exact policies and he doesn't. His policies change with the audience he's talking to.

"Trump needed to win tonight to stay alive. Clinton did not. Trump won, and he lives to fight another day. This race is far from over."

For the last few days, the Trump campaign has been hemorrhaging supporters. His campaign was at a low not seen for many months. This is why "Trump needed a win". Lucky for him, simply "staying alive" for him at this point could be considered a win. Before the debate many people said that Hillary could "put him away" with a strong performance in this debate. But why would she do that? Faced with a weak opponent, why would she pull out the big guns and pull the trigger a full month before the election? it's way too early for that, with one more debate to go.

People were saying that Trump was "done". Republicans were calling for him to quit his campaign. The Trump campaign was on life support. She decided to keep Trump alive. It's way too early for the killing blow. He'll probably end up doing it himself anyways. I expect a blowout on the 19th in Las Vegas at the last debate. He won't have time nor opportunity to come back from that.
  14. Standard member vivify
    rain
    10 Oct '16 12:57
    I never said Trump was a nice guy. Trump is a product of New York style values, so no, he is not a nice guy.
    Hey now...I was born and raised in Queens.
  15. 10 Oct '16 13:13
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Compared to Hillary, Trump knows nothing. She is ridiculously overqualified for the job. He is grotesquely underqualified.

Yammering about the last 30 years is a non-sequitur. She did amazing things as a Senator from New York. One Democrat Senator cannot buck a full Congress of Party-of-NO Republicans, and expecting her to is disingenuous.

Trump c ...[text shortened]... 9th in Las Vegas at the last debate. He won't have time nor opportunity to come back from that.
    I would hope Hillary knows more than Trump since she has been in the inner circle loop in DC for the last 30 years. So if it is more of the same, by all means, vote Hillary.