1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 15:41
    https://housegop.leadpages.co/healthcare/

This is the replacement proposal.

From near as I can tell, all it does is get rid of the mandate so that premiums will go even higher.
    🙄
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 16:39
    Originally posted by whodey

From near as I can tell, all it does is get rid of the mandate so that premiums will go even higher.
    🙄
    Does it do away with the "death panels" and the "wheeling of grannies into the street" the way the GOP said would happen under Obamacare?? 😛
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 17:00

🙄
    This won't fly with Rand Paul and many others...
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 17:34
    Trumpcare is a complete and total disaster.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 21:37
    Looks to me like this is more political gamesmanship; the House will wind up voting for it with a few cosmetic changes and then the Senate will balk. Republicans in the House get to say they voted to repeal Obamacare to appease the base. ACA stays in effect anyway.

Rinse, lather, repeat - this game's been played since 2010.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 22:27
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Looks to me like this is more political gamesmanship; the House will wind up voting for it with a few cosmetic changes and then the Senate will balk. Republicans in the House get to say they voted to repeal Obamacare to appease the base. ACA stays in effect anyway.

Rinse, lather, repeat - this game's been played since 2010.
    Sounds about right to me.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 07:55
    Big surprise - the GOP couldn't agree on a plan to replace Obamacare for the past 7 years, and they can't now.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 10:41
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Big surprise - the GOP couldn't agree on a plan to replace Obamacare for the past 7 years, and they can't now.
    I don't see why we need Obamacare.

The dims forced it down America's throat. Now that the Republicans are in charge they should just repeal it.

But establishment types like taking public funds and diverting it to ptivate companies.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 10:52
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I don't see why we need Obamacare.

The dims forced it down America's throat. Now that the Republicans are in charge they should just repeal it.

But establishment types like taking public funds and diverting it to ptivate companies.
    The majority of americans, republicans included, do see why Obamacare is needed and if the republicans try to repeal it without a better replacement they will be punished severely by their own supporters - and they know it.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 10:53
    The democrats are of course secretly hoping that Obamacare is repealed because that would spell the end of the republicans.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 11:51
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The majority of americans, republicans included, do see why Obamacare is needed and if the republicans try to repeal it without a better replacement they will be punished severely by their own supporters - and they know it.
    If you take away those who want to shift the cost of healthcare from private to public you would not have a majority of Americans.

The only way you get the majority you must include business people wanting to save a buck as well as those who want to divert public funds to private companies.

If the majority wants your kind of healthcare, we'd have it.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 13:151 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If you take away those who want to shift the cost of healthcare from private to public you would not have a majority of Americans.
    Why take anyone away? My statement stands on its own without the need for subtractions.

If the majority wants your kind of healthcare, we'd have it.
    My kind of healthcare? What would that be? I haven't promoted any kind of healthcare. I merely pointed out that the majority of americans prefer Obamacare to no Obamacare - and you do have it.
    The Trump administration may try to bluff their way out by making minor tweaks then renaming it something more republican sounding (but then Obamacare never was the official name anyway).
    But what the Trump administration wants, is something more favorable to insurance companies, and the people do not want that.

I must point out that your belief that the majority gets what it wants is unfounded.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 14:431 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why take anyone away? My statement stands on its own without the need for subtractions.

[b]If the majority wants your kind of healthcare, we'd have it.

My kind of healthcare? What would that be? I haven't promoted any kind of healthcare. I merely pointed out that the majority of americans prefer Obamacare to no Obamacare - and you do have it.
    The ...[text shortened]... nt that.

I must point out that your belief that the majority gets what it wants is unfounded.[/b]
    Not everyone will agree with what is "good" health care.

That is why allowing individual states to decide their own health care is superior to forcing all of them to adapt to a one size fits all approach.

Obviously, the GOP is no different that the Dims in this regard.

America will remain as divided as ever now.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 15:183 edits
    Not everyone will agree with what is "good" health care.

That is why allowing individual states to decide their own health care is superior to forcing all of them to adapt to a one size fits all approach.

Obviously, the GOP is no different that the Dims in this regard.

America will remain as divided as ever now.
    Since when is dividing up the jurisdiction of US gummint into 50 pieces automatically superior? After all, there are plenty of corrupt countries that are smaller that some US states.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 15:55
    Originally posted by JS357
    Since when is dividing up the jurisdiction of US gummint into 50 pieces automatically superior? After all, there are plenty of corrupt countries that are smaller that some US states.
    You have some conservative states and some liberal states that don't see eye to eye on such issues as health care. IF they were allowed to govern themselves they could create their own health care systems like MA did with Romneycare.

Instead, we have given all power to the federal government. Now every 4 years we have half the country calling for secession, much like in the 1800's before the Civil war.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree