1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 19:244 edits
    While I've included a link for those who refuse to watch YouTube, I URGE you to watch this exchange with Donald Trump's pick to head his environmental council. Reading about this woman simply cannot convey her stunning lack competence for this role. The video shows a different part of Hartnett's Whitehouse hearing from what's discussed in the article below.

YouTube : Kathleen Hartnett

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/11/09/trumps-nominee-to-lead-his-environmental-council-isnt-sure-whether-water-expands-as-it-warms/?utm_term=.6d2beb98c025

Trump’s nominee to lead his environmental council isn’t sure if water expands as it warms

Kathleen Hartnett White was nominated by President Trump last month to lead his Council on Environmental Quality, the top environmental position within the White House. Under Barack Obama, the council’s initiatives included implementing sustainability efforts throughout the executive branch and establishing systems for addressing climate change.

Based on her testimony Wednesday during a confirmation hearing, it’s safe to assume that Hartnett White will not continue similar efforts.

Whitehouse asks two questions. The first is whether Hartnett White is aware of the extent to which oceans trap heat. This is a complicated question that is probably outside the awareness of a layperson. Whitehouse seems to believe that such a question — not a complicated one in the context of the issue of climate change — should be understood by the nominee to serve in the top White House environmental position.

Notice, though, that Hartnett White doesn’t say that she knows whether more than 50 percent of the heat trapped in the atmosphere has been stored in the oceans (the correct answer, of course, being that far more than 50 percent has). All she knows is that, whatever the answer, it’s contested. How it’s contested isn’t clear; all she knows is that it is. Her knowledge of the issue is limited to one data point: Uncertainty exists.

But when Whitehouse asks that question — does water expand when it’s warmer? — Hartnett won’t answer.

This is important in the context of climate change. Warmer seas mean higher sea levels, and higher sea levels mean more flooding and more damage to coastal real estate. Melting ice due to global warming will raise sea levels, but hotter seas will expand by themselves.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 19:34
    Originally posted by @vivify
    While I've included a link for those who refuse to watch YouTube, I URGE you to watch this exchange with Donald Trump's pick to head his environmental council. Reading about this woman simply cannot convey her sheer absence of competence. The video shows a different part of Hartnett's Whitehouse hearing from what's discussed in the article below.

[youtu ...[text shortened]... due to global warming will raise sea levels, but hotter seas will expand by themselves.[/quote]
    === does water expand when it’s warmer? ===

It depends on the temperature of the water.

Water cooler than 4 degrees Celsius contracts as it warms.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 19:38

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 19:38
    Originally posted by @sh76

Your ability to Google is noted.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 20:00
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Your ability to Google is noted.
    I assure you I didn't need Google for that. I was a middle school science teacher for many years.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 20:35
    I assure you I didn't need Google for that. I was a middle school science teacher for many years.
    How does a lawyer become a science teacher?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 20:41
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    I suspect it was the other way round.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 21:26
    My apologies.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 21:31

10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 21:311 edit
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    What sonhouse said.

I went to evening law school classes while teaching.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 21:47
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Side point: Why does she have to be committing suicide? Can't she just be going for a swim? Does this have to be so macabre?

I'm going to guess that the water level goes up because her leaving the boat causes less pressure of the boat on the water. I'm sure I'm not articulating this very well, but the pressure of the boat caused by the weight of the woman is greater than the effect her volume has on displacing water. Once she's at the bottom, her weight is no longer pushing the boat downwards, which probably has a greater effect than her displacement.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 21:581 edit

13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 06:012 edits
    4COriginally posted by @sh76

H2O is at its densest at 4C.

https://www.thoughtco.com/why-does-ice-float-604304
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 06:16

Very witty. Haha.

I do feel obliged to ask if you know what the average ocean temperature is, though.
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Nov '17 06:25
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Say what?

You mean to say that if I put a floating playmobil pirate boat (my daughter's) in a basin of water, the water will rise. But when I push it completely underwater, the water will go down (compared to when the boat was floating on top)?

Oh. Yeah. Right. I see how that works. The water flows into the cracks and fills up the hull...
    Cool. Learn something every day, I say.

So, I guess, if it's a shut system like a submarine, then if the whole submarine is underwater it makes the water level rise higher than when it's floating on top?
    Is that correct?
    God damn, I'm gonna be a water-displacement expert by the end of this thread!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree